Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vdaxzter

Phobia - The Age bad performance

I just started playing Phobia - The Age, which is only compatible with Doom Legacy, and the performance is really terrible. I can only use 1.44 builds of Legacy with Windows 7 (my current OS) as older builds crash in OpenGL mode (OpenGL is needed for Phobia). Has anyone else played this mod? If so, did you experience really poor performance?

Craigs said:

What are your system specs?

Sorry, I should've listed these in the OP.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00GHz

RAM: 6 GB DDR3

GPU: HD 6950 2GB

Sounds like it should work just fine but then again, Legacy is a piece of shit. I've got a pretty good PC so I'll try running it myself just to see if it runs fine.

Craigs said:

Sounds like it should work just fine but then again, Legacy is a piece of shit. I've got a pretty good PC so I'll try running it myself just to see if it runs fine.

Thanks. I suspect Phobia -The Age will run better with Legacy 1.42, as I think it was built using that version, but I can only run the 1.44 builds (which are in alpha). Phobia requires OpenGL, and AMD's OpenGL support is atrocious. As a result, 1.42 and older Legacy builds crash when I attempt to use the OpenGL mode. The 1.44 OpenGL mode works, but it sadly runs Phobia like shit. Even worse, Phobia uses MP3 music, which would only play in older Legacy builds with the -digmusic command line parameter. In the 1.44 builds, the -digmusic parameter is seemingly not recognized anymore as I can't get the damn music to play (it works fine in the 1.42 build when started with the software renderer for testing purposes).

Processingcontrol said:

Don't Legacy wads now work with GZDoom?

I just tried running Phobia - The Age with GZDoom, and while it does work, most of the visual effects that appear in Legacy are absent when running with GZDoom. The WAD's performance is perfect with GZDoom, but without all the advanced lighting effects I don't see why it would have any trouble running.

Craigs said:

Legacy is a piece of shit.

And even then, if you got a comp like that and a Doom map runs like ass, play a better map.