Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

International Doom League Switches Hosting Source Port

The current commissioner of the International Doom League, HumanBones, has announced that the league's next season will begin play using Odamex. IDL regulation games were played using ZDaemon for eleven full seasons (since 2006). The full news post explaining the league's reasoning behind the move (with comments) can be read here. More info detailing the summer 2012 time table along with more specific answers to format changes have also been covered.

I always knew this day would come [/teardrop]

Yeah, I must admit not even I was surprised to see the news. However, be that as it may, the multiplayer DOOM community must do what is in their best interests. That's what really matters.

Good to see the last closed source port being pushed into irrelevance. :p

Gez said:

Well not quite, ZDaemon is probably still more popular than Odamex.

tempun said:

Well not quite, ZDaemon is probably still more popular than Odamex.

There was a point where ZDaemon was more popular than Skulltag as well. ;)

Gez said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ZDaemon-powers celebrated this decision as a victory.

They seem to be the kind of brain-dead morons that need to be in absolute control of what they do, judging from the post outlining the reason behind this change.

Gez said:

I really hope ZDaemon will get to resurface, while still remaining closed source. It has the coolest name, ZDAEMON, and seems the most controversial (you people keep disliking it), which helps.

printz said:

and seems the most controversial (you people keep disliking it), which helps.

There are plenty of good reasons it is controversial and unliked.

Can someone please explain what's so bad about Zdaemon (other than being closed source)? I've used it few times and didn't have any major problems with it.

It's just kind of stagnant now comapred to its glory days, and the staff fought each other over silly things over the years, and there's also the whole political bannings thing, banning any mention of the IDL, etc etc etc

All that I'll say here regarding ZDaemon is to play it and make up your own mind.

You won't be told what to think or what to say.

As I imagine there will be a great many more slanted posts. Aswell as a few that'll more than likely attempt to eat me alive.

Things like limited server releases are precisely why we cannot as a community tolerate closed-source projects. I am very happy to hear about this move.

Processingcontrol said:

Can someone please explain what's so bad about Zdaemon (other than being closed source)? I've used it few times and didn't have any major problems with it.

ZDaemon's approach to community governance has chased away a significant number of players and contributors. It's not the kind of thing you discover from using it a few times

The port itself, in terms of the actual executable, is quite serviceable. After all, it hosted the first 11 seasons of the IDL and was used competitively for many more years before that.

Infurnus said:

...and there's also the whole political bannings thing, banning any mention of the IDL, etc etc etc

WTF?

Why the hell would they do that? What's the point of running an online community for a 18 year old game in an orwellian way?

If this is really true I'll stop using the port immediately.

Processingcontrol said:

If this is really true I'll stop using the port immediately.

Don't feel like you have to make a statement or anything. If you're still enjoying using it you might as well get the most out of it before it tanks. There's a lot of stuff that gets hosted on ZD that you don't see hosted elsewhere, at least not ATM.

Just wanted to say that I never had any problems with ZDaemon admins/mods from 2004-2010. I stopped playing because my internet connection.

Isn't closing their source a violation of the Doom source code license?

No. Same deal with Skulltag, and a few other ports historically. There is no legal obligation to keep the source open.

That's why the source code was later relicensed under the GPL; but since you can't retroactively change something's license, ports are free to use the old terms.

TimeOfDeath said:

Also, ZDaemon's rocket jumping physics are my favourite.

Odamex can emulate ZDoom's physics :)

Maybe, but he said ZDaemon, not ZDoom.

Just because ZDeamon is based off ZDoom, doesn't mean they have the same physics, especially after all this time.

For a ZDoom related example, I believe Skulltag and ZDoom have different air control values to each other these days.

Yes, the have - because the Skulltag devs chose to hack the engine than to fix their map configurations.

Par for course for Skulltag development...

Vermil said:

Maybe, but he said ZDaemon, not ZDoom.

Just because ZDeamon is based off ZDoom, doesn't mean they have the same physics, especially after all this time.

Let me be more specific.

When you enable ZDoom mode in Odamex, the ZDoom physics that is emulated is based on ZDoom 1.23 beta 33, which is the same version of ZDoom that ZDaemon is based on. The rocket jumping in Odamex should be exactly the same compared ZDaemon's. And if it is not, the team would like to hear about it in a descriptive bug report.

I thought all the ZDaemon hate was due to the immature community and batshit crazy staff, or whatever the word is for the guys that manage the port/forums/etc

Played ZDaemon from 2004 to 2009, good times.
As a subpar player I never really took time to get involved with the IDL. I salute the whole thing, but playing on US servers with 110+ ping wasn't my cup of tea anyway. :)

Marnetmar said:

[...] immature community and batshit crazy staff

As for the community, it's basically the same as with many other online communities : just hang with the cool guys, and ignore the retards.
ZD staff is ok from what I saw, but of course open source enthusiasts won't make friends there.

Vulture said:

Let me be more specific.

When you enable ZDoom mode in Odamex, the ZDoom physics that is emulated is based on ZDoom 1.23 beta 33, which is the same version of ZDoom that ZDaemon is based on.

My point still stands. Port X may have altered the physics code it inherited from the port (Y) it's based off, since they branched.

Port X and/or Y may have even gone a step further and completely rewritten its physics code since they branched from each other.

Both of these are more difficult to confirm with ZDeamon because it's closed source.