Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tobester

Closer to the EDGE

Darkknight posted a massive update at the EDGE site. The update talks of a new, updated .wad format, and the lack of help on the project, but denies the project being dead:

I was recently told that it looked like there was a sign over the EDGE site saying "this place here is abandoned". Well, not quite. When the last release of EDGE came out all the members active decided to take a breather and come back when ready or move on.

If all the people who used EDGE occasionally posted at the EDGE forums, it might inspire the team a bit more.

Mind you, just about the only EDGE users around here are us 5...

Thats true...sorta, altho in my opinion, more people would use edge but well, It's not as high profile as Jdoom/Prboom/Zdoom/legacy..IMO, more use of the engine would do more for the port. but thats just a theory tho.

Lobo said:

Mind you, just about the only EDGE users around here are us 5...

i think you're being a bit too ignorant.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Thats true...sorta, altho in my opinion, more people would use edge but well, It's not as high profile as Jdoom/Prboom/Zdoom/legacy..IMO, more use of the engine would do more for the port. but thats just a theory tho.

More high profile? I don't think so. Theres just a lot of ports out there and Edge is by far the slowest and ugliest ive used, even in gl mode.

Yes, It may be slow, does the word -UNOPTIMIZED- Mean anything to you? I've heard several comments in regards to the slowness of Edge's code, but don't discount it becuase it doesn't look all that good.
Edge is capable, but isn't used enough. In My Opinon. GL isn't too bad.

And EDGE has better and easyer editing possibilities than any of those ports.
Besides, i'll use any port than Vavoom or Legacy...

My bro posts in the Edge for me to inspire the Edge developers, Nickster has been working on an edge version of GoldenEye Doom2. The next in-progress version of GoldenEye Doom2 for Edge will have over 35+ weapons, not to mention a tank, plus loads of alternatives firings, and other cool goodies that only Edge can provide. Maybe even a tankdeath match mode.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Yes, It may be slow, does the word -UNOPTIMIZED- Mean anything to you? I've heard several comments in regards to the slowness of Edge's code, but don't discount it becuase it doesn't look all that good.
Edge is capable, but isn't used enough. In My Opinon. GL isn't too bad.

Well it basically ruined any chance of running Qdoom at a descent rate.

deathwarrior said:

i think you're being a bit too ignorant.

Really? When I say users I should have said TC/PC makers.

Maybe I am ignorant, and the cure for ignorance is enlightenment. So if you know of some PC/TCs for EDGE that I'm not aware of then please give me their URLs. I'm trying to get a list together at my site(link in my sig).
Thanks in advance!

There are more TC creators for Edge than you think, but of course not finished or advertised. If I had a web page for Edge "Aliens" then I would give you the URL, but I want to finish it first.

Derrick said:

Isn't Relijk an Aliens Conversion for Edge?

Not really. It was going to be more of an Aliens resources for EDGE, but in the end the poject is dead. However, Rellik has informed me that if you heckle him enough then he will release what he's done up to now! I usually bug him every couple of months just in case he forgets...

Lobo said:

Maybe I am ignorant, and the cure for ignorance is enlightenment. So if you know of some PC/TCs for EDGE that I'm not aware of then please give me their URLs. I'm trying to get a list together at my site(link in my sig).

Jesus christ, I really need to finish my site.

Relapse, I'm a part of the team (so is Toby) as a mapper resource bitch (<tobester> gimme textures bitch) and guess what? ITS FOR EDGE!! What a shocker!

Where the hell can I find this Relapse? I've been looking for it for weeks! It's supposed to be hosted at doomcenter but none of their hosted sites work!!

Is there an alternate URL?

I'm just happy playing the fruits of others' labor. I couldn't ever actually be part of a team, unless it was a team of people who reviewed WADs for fun :)