Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jan

No Sleep For The Dead [v1.0 released!]

I’m hereby announcing my latest project: No Sleep For The Dead. This will be a small map set for Doom 1 with as much maps I can realistically come up with, but probably not a complete episode replacement. Currently 4 maps are in development, in various stages of completion. Inspiration will be drawn from Dawn Of The Dead, the episode replacement which started my Doom mapping career back in 1996. This means that you can expect to see lots of E1 influences with some E2 and E4 influences near the end, all of this in my own mapping style of course and with some nods to the original dodead levels here and there.

You could see this map set as the spiritual successor to Dawn Of The Dead although I won’t call it Dawn Of The Dead 2 because it’s not a complete episode replacement.

Possible level titles that I have in mind:
E1M1: Phobos Spaceport
E1M2: Marines’ Last Stand
E1M3: Fusion Reactor
E1M4: The Overrun Complex

That said, I am still looking for one or two people who are willing to test and provide feedback on the architecture and game play of the levels. Preferably someone who has experience in this matter, it would also be a plus if you played and loved Dawn Of The Dead back when it was released. If you’re interested, and you feel that you’re qualified, just send me a pm here.

Edit 2016-03-22: v1.0 has been released and can be downloaded from the idgames archive:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/m-o/nos4dead

Links to some screenshots:

Edit: sorry, links are dead ... there are newer screenshots in posts below

DeathevokatioN said:

The fifth shot looks like it could have come out of Dawn of the Dead. Looking great!

Yes, it should evoke some memories of Hunted Down (dodead E1M9)

I'm really looking forward to this, I first played Dawn of the Dead when I was in middle school.

Sorry for the bump, but any news with this? As a tester I can say that the levels are amazing so far from what I've tried, and for this to not see light of day would be a real pity.

I've been neglecting this thread a bit, so thought I'd give you all an update.

This will be a small map set for Doom 1 with as much maps I can realistically come up with, but probably not a complete episode replacement.

Good news: there are enough maps for a complete episode replacement, including the secret level. I even had to kick one map (former E1M4) to the curb because I wasn't entirely happy with the way it was turning out.

Current status is:

E1M1: Phobos Terminal: done
screenshot 1
E1M2: Sombrero Hoops: done
screenshot 1
E1M3: Biolab: done except for the secret level exit
screenshot 1
E1M4: Sludge Factory: 50% finished
screenshot 1 screenshot 2
E1M5: Fusion Reactor: 80% finished
screenshot 1
E1M6: Quarantine Area: 40% finished
screenshot 1
E1M7: At Hell's Gate: 60% finished
E1M8: As For The Cowardly: done
screenshot 1 screenshot 2 screenshot 3
E1M9: Tesla/Ohm Labs: done

PS. Some of the weird level names are actually anagrams I used as a working title. I may still change them, or not :)

Reinchard666 said:

Looks very "id-like" and feel like good old Doom.

Indeed, the maps definitely have an "old school" feeling to them, which is deliberate :-)

Something I forgot to mention in my opening post is that they will also be completely vanilla compatible.

janvknn said:
PS. Some of the weird level names are actually anagrams I used as a working title.

Spoiler

"Romero's Phobos" ?

Full disclosure: I wouldn't have got that without an anagram generator.

RjY said:

Spoiler

"Romero's Phobos" ?

Full disclosure: I wouldn't have got that without an anagram generator.

Correct! thanks for using the spoiler tags :)

Can you find the other one?

Spoiler

Tesla/Ohm Labs -> Tom Hall's Base

Hey, another good anagram name: Satanic Tar Smock. :D

Gez said:

Spoiler

Tesla/Ohm Labs -> Tom Hall's Base

Also correct!

No need to search for anagrams in the other titles, those were the only two.

Those screenshots look awesome, Jan! I am looking forward to trying out this wad when it's released. I am a huge fan of your work, I have Dawn of the Dead, The Classic Episode, and Classic Episode 2: The Singularity Complex in my collection of Doom wads. I also enjoyed your contributions to the two Darkening episodes as well. Keep up the good work, Jan!

Cheers

T-Rex

Looks awesome. Maximum nostalgia inducing, even though I have never played the maps. I guess thats what the author aimed for to some degree though =)