Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vdaxzter

Are new Scythe X episodes in development?

When the first two episodes of Scythe X were released, Erik Alm wrote that more 5 level episodes would be coming. As far as I'm aware, no more episodes have been released since the first two in 2009. Does anyone know if this project has been abandoned, or is development ongoing?

I don't know if Erik Alm has even been seen since then.

It's been 2 1/2 years since he even posted on this website. I think it's high-time we all sort of accepted this project's death and move on. I did quite a long time ago, anyways.

Cyanosis said:

The episode format has not been proven to work.

Don't get what you're trying to say here.

Snakes said:

It's been 2 1/2 years since he even posted on this website. I think it's high-time we all sort of accepted this project's death and move on. I did quite a long time ago, anyways.

Millennium, Scythe X... When will the killing end?

PRIMEVAL said:

I believe development is still going, albeit slowly.

That's not the pace at which Erik Alm works.

40oz said:

That's not the pace at which Erik Alm works.

Not since he was near completion of Scythe 2. Remember we had to wait a few years until Erik made the last levels.

He must have a time-consuming job and/or family life. It's great he gave us the first levels of Scythe X meanwhile.

K!r4 said:

He must have a time-consuming job and/or family life. It's great he gave us the first levels of Scythe X meanwhile.

Am I the only one who thinks that Scythe X is an eyesore? An example of how not to use cc4tex?

No, you're probably not the only one. There's no shortage of overly negative people on the Internet. Personally, I think Scythe X looks great.

I private messaged him on here a couple of years ago asking if he'd like to map for Wrack. According to the PM tracking, not only has he not even read it, but he hasn't been on DW since 12/31/09 :(

Phml said:

No, you're probably not the only one. There's no shortage of overly negative people on the Internet. Personally, I think Scythe X looks great.

Yup, and same!

Phml said:

Okay. Does anyone here agree with me?

Snakes said:

Don't get what you're trying to say here.

In Doom's case, this and Mordeth, in other games' case, SiN Episodes, Half-Life 2 Episodes.

Give it another year and a half and he comes back randomly like did when OUT OF NOWHERE actually finish it like he did with Scythe 2...but that's just wishful thinking on my end.

tempun said:

Okay. Does anyone here agree with me?

I don't :P

Cyanosis said:

In Doom's case, this and Mordeth, in other games' case, SiN Episodes, Half-Life 2 Episodes.

If we go by the logic that episodic mods and games "don't work" simply because a few haven't been completed or have been extensively delayed, then non-episodic mods and games "don't work" either, since countless non-episodic mods and games have been cancelled or heavily delayed (just look at Duke Nukem Forever).

As evidence that episodic games can be completed and in a reasonably timely manor, I present to you the .hack series, American McGee's Grimm, and the Telltale games (e.g. Bone, the three "seasons" of Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Wallace & Gromit, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, etc). On the mod front, there's Minerva Chapter 1 for Half-life 2.

I'm pretty sure Scythe X will be released as a full 32-level megawad least we expect it. Sometimes, it's real life situations that conflict with the author completing wads, and Erik Alm is probably no exception. Like many stated, it took him over 4 years to release Scythe 2 as a full 32-level megawad, and other projects from other authors out there are still yet to be in completion like Mordeth, Deus Vult 2, and especially Dr. Sleep's Lethe.