Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #9

Hey hey, First-try Demo Contest #9 will be held soon! :) The date is yet undecided, but most likely it will be this or next weekend.

This time you'll be playing a 4 map wad. You may record full FDA-movie (4 maps in one demo), or you may record 4 separate demos (one for each map).

Wad author: Alexander "Eternal" S.
Wad tester: Memfis
Wad format: Vanilla Doom 2

If you're not familiar with this event, read this thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/56004-first-try-demo-contest-7/1/
Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Recommended command lines: (see attached file)

fdc9bats.zip

If some do a full movie and some do individual map demos, won't they be incomparable as far as who won?

Why? The player with lowest total time wins. If you mean that recording a movie is easier (because you carry weapons and stuff from previous maps) - I agree, but Eternal said that we should allow both movies and individual map demos just in case someone wants a bigger challenge. :)

gggmork said:

If some do a full movie and some do individual map demos, won't they be incomparable as far as who won?

Vouch. Unless there is forced pistol start after each map, there won't be possible 100% objective comparability between those who chose each map individually and those who recorded everything within one demo.

Choosing 4 maps as a whole = the same as choosing a more risky approach. Your demo should be faster if you survive... The idea is crazy and I like it.

j4rio: Simply choose what you think is better for you. :)

We are trying to find the most convinient time for everyone. How about May 13, 14:00 UTC, is it okay for you guys?

I don't see any benefit to choosing individual map demos if given the option. Like if you attempt a full movie demo and die on map 3, the game will pistol start you back at the start of map 3 again (not the beginning of the whole movie) which is the same as how individual map demos would behave. So might as well choose full movie for the major bonus of having leftover rockets/bfg cells/etc from previous maps.

I completely agree, but Eternal insisted that we allow both options. I'm not really sure why. :)

I'll do what I can to participate this time, as I think its particularly promising due to the author, the compatibility mode and the multi-level option.

The possible disadvantage of playing multi-level is that you may want to play more carefully to accumulate items for later levels. Dying once may cost you the loss of items and weapons from more than one level. You have nothing to lose in that sense if you choose to play each level separately. Multi-level playing tends to be a bit more conservative, although the health and arms accumulation may offset that.

I think it's fine to allow both, and if one is nearly always more advantageous than the other, so be it. We can use this as an experiment, as well. It may also depend on playing style. Some may feel more comfortable playing one way or the other and function better that way.

The date and time seem fine to me; it would be Sunday 11:00 AM here.

Sounds a fair enough system with the two options of playing: let's say you die a dozen times in map01 and after beating that continue to map02 with all the extra weapons and ammo. Ok, so you have the extra goods but you'll have to take the embarrasment for dying as much as you did :)

You could also abuse that system if you wanted though: for example if you wanted to have the winning time on map02 you could take as much time as you want on map01, exploring the secrets and intentionally die as many times as it takes for you to have good hp/ammo for the next map, giving you a big bonus against other players.

That could be fixed so that those playing all 4 maps in a row only compete for the total time for the entire mapset and not the individual levels, but I doubt many would go for that option then.

DooMer 4ever said:

That could be fixed so that those playing all 4 maps in a row only compete for the total time for the entire mapset and not the individual levels

Umm, that's exactly how it works. Total time is all that matters. (including all attempts: succesful and unsuccesful)

myk: good to finally see you participating! :)

Ah, ok that makes sense. I take it that the maps are fairly short then? Playing four maps could easily take several hours if they are comparably hard/long as the single map the last time and I'm not sure if I have the time for that.

DooMer 4ever said:

I take it that the maps are fairly short then?

Yes. I managed to beat all maps in less than one hour.

Memfis said:

How about May 13, 14:00 UTC, is it okay for you guys?

difference of gmt and utc right now?

blob1024 said:

difference of gmt and utc right now?

A few seconds I think. (due to different methods of measuring time)

Anyway, it's been decided that FDC9 will take place at May 13, 14:00 UTC. (as planned) No web upload form this time: you'll have to send your demos to me via PM or e-mail (I'll write it later). See you tomorrow!

done ;) sending per mail

edit: let me know asap if there are troubles with the file or you didnt get the email, before its late or so ;o

What I got so far:

Hitherto - 46:24
blob1024 - 45:44
Archi - 44:26
myk - 40:15
skepticist - 35:43
But those times aren't 100% correct because they include the time spent on intermission screens too.
So... How do I get total time not counting the intermissions?

well those barely matters I guess, arent those just a couple second anyway

concerning the maps: very cool but sucks that I lost several minutes (3-4 or more) since I didnt catch right away what some switches were for. Finding it out in a mazy level with some monsters alive took a while
anyway, I liked each map beside last, cus I got a bit puzzled by the route. unlucky death of mine on lvl3, i could have gone straight

blob1024 said:

well those barely matters I guess, arent those just a couple second anyway

Considering that this time there was 4 intermissions, it might affect something...

Yeah, intermissions count, as "brute" or "gross" time is measured. I spent a bit of time on the last one 'cause I was thinking "wait was that the last level?" :p

Good maps! Fuck that traitor, the map02 rocket launcher, but many thanks go to my zombieman coop buddy in map03!

Ah, by the way, I used Doom2+, in case you note that down.

Memfis said:

So... How do I get total time not counting the intermissions?

U run prboom+ with -levelstat -warp 30 (the latter to not have to watch the demo) and check levelstat.txt (in the prboom+ directory IIRC).

But it counts only succesful attempts, so if the player died at least once it shows incorrect time.