• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Chimpanzees hunt using spears

Hmmm.

Last Updated: Thursday, 22 February 2007, 17:13 GMT

The article is interesting though.

Eh, monkey see, monkey do. They don't know how a wedge works, only that it does.They probably saw a human using a spear first.

DuckReconMajor said:

I highly doubt the first humans to know that a wedge works knew how it worked.

I highly doubt that's changed much. People are stupid.

Meh.

What does it matter that some monkey in a zoo decided to use a spear? Most of the still don't.

I fail to see how this is any prove of apes being some kind of monkey cavemen.

At a practical level it probably matters little, though studying learned behavior in our closest ape relatives should provide anthropologists with some insights into our own early development as tool users. At the moment it's not cold enough to see if they can adapt to living in caves.

hardcore_gamer said:

Not over 1 generation, but if in the wild said ape's clan pwns all other apes because they are using spears and the other's don't, they will eventually supersede them, and those charaters that allowed them to be smart enough to wield one will be passed along and strengthened.

So, even when the other -less smart- apes eventually learn to use spears due to imitation or evolution, the ones that used spears first will have moved to clubs, bows and arrows, knives etc. and still pwn their asses. They'll probably have become much more dexterous with their hands and bigger brained, too.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well pretty much this:

GreyGhost said:

development as tool users.

Humans developed both opposable thumbs and the intelligence to use them. That's why we're the dominant species, not because we're bigger or stronger.

In these monkeys (provided the claims in this article are completely valid) we can see the evolutionary chain working its way back up to where we are. It's pretty fascinating.

Could end up becoming extinct in the future as we never had a super race controlling the earth unless you count dinosaurs. Humans will probably wipe them out if they became extremely threatening and tried to take control (attack people)

Fluffles said:

Humans will probably wipe them out if they became extremely threatening and tried to take control (attack people)

Worse, they will try to "civilize" them and render them jobless, indebted, impoverished and chronically alcoholic.

DuckReconMajor said:

Don't forget souls.

Lodge Lecture by Dr. Rudolf Steiner
Leipzig, 16 March, 1907

excerpt: "Now imagine that in the beginning the soul did not take up its dwelling in each single one, but that one soul distributed itself as group soul among many. What today dwells in one, then inhabited a whole tribe. Here you must grasp a new concept. Such a group soul does not die. The beautiful, significant side of death is a specific privilege of the individual human soul. If one part of the group soul dies, then it immediately replaces it, like the tentacle you cut from a polypus. Thus the group soul, which does not descend to the physical plane, feels death as the loss of one member, and birth as the growing of a similar one. It has not the privilege of death. Only when a sense being says “It is I,” death begins to enter individual life. Man struggles for and attains his higher life through death. Unless death were overcome, he could not attain through it to higher life." --Rudolf Steiner

Maes said:

""It's classic in primates that when there is a new innovation, particularly in terms of tool use, the younger generations pick it up very quickly. The last ones to pick up are adults, mainly the males," said Dr Pruetz, who led the National Geographic Society-funded project." I like how, just with technology, the teenagers all know how to use the latest gadgets while my grandparents are like ..wut.

Maes said:

Worse, they will try to "civilize" them and render them jobless, indebted, impoverished and chronically alcoholic.

I recall reading somewhere that the ancient Romans believed apes could speak but refused to do so in case they be put to work as slaves.

IT BEGINS

You maniacs!

GreyGhost said:

I recall reading somewhere that the ancient Romans believed apes could speak but refused to do so in case they be put to work as slaves.

Reminds me of the journey of Hanno the Navigator, the first person to explore down the African coast:

In its inmost recess was an island similar to that formerly described, which contained in like manner a lake with another island, inhabited by a rude description of people. The females were much more numerous than the males, and had rough skins: our interpreters called them Gorillae. We pursued but could take none of the males; they all escaped to the top of precipices, which they mounted with ease, and threw down stones; we took three of the females, but they made such violent struggles, biting and tearing their captors, that we killed them, and stripped off the skins, which we carried to Carthage: being out of provisions we could go no further.

hardcore_gamer said:

What does it matter that some monkey in a zoo decided to use a spear? Most of the still don't.

Firstly, these are chimps, in the wild, not in a zoo. Secondly, simple tool use by chimps (along with other animals) is well known and documented. It's not new. What do you mean "what does it matter"? It's interesting, it's science, it's us learning and understanding our world more and more.

Was it supposed to? No. What it is a good documentation of chimps not merely using something as a weapon, but creating it. Finding a stick and then sharpening one end into a point. Chimps may bash eachothers skulls in with fists and stones most of the time, but making a tool with the express intention of killing is pretty fucking remarkable.

Also monkeys are not apes and vice versa. Not a hard thing to understand.

So there are chimps that hunt using spears? That's really interesting! I won't be surprised if they start learning English and use more human machines!

Also, Dr. Durr tried to post this video:

The reason it did not show on his post was he was only supposed to post the _JUCfX1P1ik part of the video URL and forget about the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= part of the video URL.

NitroactiveStudios said:

I won't be surprised if they start learning English and use more human machines!

I won't mind one bit if they all sound like Roddy McDowall.

hardcore_gamer said:

No, hardcore_gamer. You are the monkey cavemen

myk said:

No, hardcore_gamer. You are the monkey cavemen

And then hardcore_gamer was a chimp.