Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Does Map:11 Hunted have any representation? (other than a maze where you're hunted)

Just wondering, what were your takes on what Hunted is supposed to be or represent? (besides what we already know; a maze with Archies).

I thought of it as some sort of demon-created structure, as it clashes too much with the earlier levels to make any sense as to what it is. Perhaps some demons took UAC staff here to be mice for the cats (Archviles) in the demon's evil game?

Another thing is the coffins and other imagery in the beginning of the level, it's somewhat odd. The style reminds me of the morgue in Blood.

Well, that's my take on it.

It was styled with Earth Textures I believe along with Tech Doors, other wise I don't think they had any location in mind. They just wanted some sort of maze-thing that was a challenge to play. Otherwise, with eh tech doors and wood, maybe it was just some sort... Building? It does seem to have similarities with Blood though in terms of style... Sort of...

Graf Zahl said:

Why are you still trying to make sense of Doom?

Seriously. It doesnt have to represent anything. Deal with it.

And by "deal with it" I mean stop asking stupid questions.

darkreaver said:

Seriously. It doesnt have to represent anything. Deal with it.

And by "deal with it" I mean stop asking stupid questions.

Honestly? What's with the crass response? Perhaps the inspiration for the level is indeed based on some kind of real world structure. I personally don't think so, but if he wants to generate discussion around the possibility, why the hell not?

THAT SURE DOES SETTLE THINGS SIR BELFIN AND NOW I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I CAN

*ahem*

Burst of insanity aside, I've always seen Plutonia's maps as raw, abstract Doomscapes, not representative of any real place at all. It's what makes 'em beautiful in a way. Sort of a surrealness to it all.

Xaser said:

THAT SURE DOES SETTLE THINGS SIR BELFIN AND NOW I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I CAN

*ahem*

Burst of insanity aside, I've always seen Plutonia's maps as raw, abstract Doomscapes, not representative of any real place at all. It's what makes 'em beautiful in a way. Sort of a surrealness to it all.

That's an interesting take, considering the Casalis' intent.

What you will notice immediately when you go play the Plutonia Experiment is the architectural realism of each map. We went to great lengths to ensure the player could really believe the location he was fighting for his life in was a real place somewhere. Each one was designed with a particular theme in mind, and none looks similar to another. The episode was designed to be totally different from Doom or Doom2, or any other Doom-related conversions.

The original concept as depicted on their web page involved random time travel, so there's no real limit as to what Hunted could have been. Perhaps the exposed hypogeum in the bowels of the Colosseum? A re-purposed Cretan labyrinth? The mention of "alternative time periods" suggests that you might not even be fighting in your own dimension.

I think it's simply a nice way to justify the differences between the series of maps, like the way the Memento Mori crews set up each individual level as a self-contained mission.

Heh, weird. Definitely not seeing it at all -- where on Earth are places like NME, Tombstone, and Anti-Christ? :P

The architecture is finely-crafted, mind you. I suppose you can argue that a lot of it is "realistic" in the sense that someone could build it if they're crazy enough to.

I think Casali brothers weren't on the background side beside from aesthetic purpose, and put almost everything on gameplay.

Map11 is very symptomatic of that because it looks like the map as a whole has been studied to make the "arch vile hunting" work.

Much of Plutonia looks like it comes straight out of a nightmare. Realistic design has no place there.

I always thought that hunted took place in a unfinished building next to a messy funeral house...that or a UAC experimental grounds where scientists can study Archviles while using "volunteers" to "interact" with them...I don't know I'm making shit up as I go around :P

Cyanosis said:

::checks thread label and scolds::

Don't be so nasty. I just love Doom and love to chat about it and various things inside it. I'm a thinker. I love to flesh out ideas. Probably why I listen to so much Tool.

Yes...much of it does remind me of a raw place, like a nightmare as one said, but where did you find that your in multiple time periods? I know after Baron's Den Doomguy blasted the Quantum Accelerator, so he couldn't have used it. I dunno. Doom's subtle yet intriguing story always uncovers more bits and pieces each time you look back upon it.

Xaser said:

Heh, weird. Definitely not seeing it at all -- where on Earth are places like NME, Tombstone, and Anti-Christ? :P

NME is clearly a re-purposed portion of the UAC Base on Deimos brought to Earth and the latter two take place in Hell.

Tarnsman said:

NME is clearly a re-purposed portion of the UAC Base on Deimos brought to Earth and the latter two take place in Hell.

Damn those devious UAC recycling crews! O:

Im pretty sure Tombstone is somewhere in Arizona
Anti-Christ is clearly Activison's mainframe.

Contrary to popular belief, Anti-Christ is just down the hall from The Living End (Second door on the left, for those wondering).

Platinum Shell said:

I know after Baron's Den Doomguy blasted the Quantum Accelerator, so he couldn't have used it.

That Quantum Accelerator stuff is hilarious.

"So the UAC has made a Quantum Accelerator that can close portals to Hell. They resume teleportation experiments. And it works right, but they don't have the time the close all the gates and they're overrun again. Now Doomguy has to find the Quantum Accelerator and use it to close the last gate... What? Oh, he destroyed it instead. But... Oh well, I guess he just prefers to do things the old-fashioned way, and close gates by pumping rockets into an exposed brain. Because it closes gates, too. While he's on the other side. Fuck it, this doesn't make sense. New story: There's monsters, there's guns, use the guns to kill the monsters, The End."

Exactly how I felt when I was playing Plutonia. Left me slightly queezy but it didn't matter; there were demons out there! Kill 'em!

I think the first levels of Plutonia take place somewhere in the jungles of the Equator, either in Africa, America or both, judging from names like "Congo" or "Aztec". They really look like Indiana Jones temples, and he likes going in those regions.

The Plutonia textures are very nice and natural looking too. I can easily imagine some tropical or equatorial trees being placed there, without changing the feel.

I think the whole megawad could be considered as taking place in the jungle, as it's very coherently textured (expected, considering it's made by only two guys). You start it by daytime, then the sun sets, and by night the alien polluted sky becomes visible.

Speaking of Hunted, the level would be even better if the doors could be opened by monsters too, which is entirely possible in vanilla, if you replace the raising doors with lowering lifts. It would be even more challenging if you add Demons, who make an extremely effective combination with Archviles.

Xaser said:

*ahem*

Yes. Plutonia sure had the best designed doom maps compared to TNT and Doom2.

printz said:

I think the first levels of Plutonia take place somewhere in the jungles of the Equator, either in Africa, America or both, judging from names like "Congo" or "Aztec". They really look like Indiana Jones temples, and he likes going in those regions.

The Plutonia textures are very nice and natural looking too. I can easily imagine some tropical or equatorial trees being placed there, without changing the feel.

I think the whole megawad could be considered as taking place in the jungle, as it's very coherently textured (expected, considering it's made by only two guys). You start it by daytime, then the sun sets, and by night the alien polluted sky becomes visible.

Speaking of Hunted, the level would be even better if the doors could be opened by monsters too, which is entirely possible in vanilla, if you replace the raising doors with lowering lifts. It would be even more challenging if you add Demons, who make an extremely effective combination with Archviles.

Yea, the added demons sure would make the level an even bigger pain in the ass haha :P