Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Dark.wad (single level)

Its not the best name, I know, but I wanted something short and catchy. :)

This is a one-level WAD I've worked on for a few months now. I've only tinkered with it whenever I found time, which was usually once a week or something but I finally got around to finishing it.

It's mostly a experiment of trying out different types of level-design.

It features:
- A skybox (woo!)
- Dynamic lights
- Sector lights
- Slopes
- 2 secrets (one easy, one hard)

I've only playtested this on GZDoom, so I don't know how it looks in software. I bet it looks really wonky because of the fact that I raped the level with slopes.

Fun fact: I've used this WAD for my entrance at the art academy.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?i51iftplbefu62h

Screenies:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3281/screenshotdoom201205112.png
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7228/poep.png

Enjoy! <3

Looks pretty. Some comments:

1. Slopes are not a problem for the software renderer.
2. However, dynamic light objects are (they show up as /!\ signs in plain old ZDoom).
3. You could have used a solid 3D floor for that bridge.
4. There's a yellow-locked door with red trims. Ooops!
5. Speaking of oops, the jumps are hard! I ended up flying to the switch at the beginning after being deep fried once too many. Getting the soulsphere was difficult too, but at least it's an optional reward rather than a mandatory part of exploration, and you don't die if you miss the jump.

Gez said:

Looks pretty. Some comments:

1. Slopes are not a problem for the software renderer.
2. However, dynamic light objects are (they show up as /!\ signs in plain old ZDoom).
3. You could have used a solid 3D floor for that bridge.
4. There's a yellow-locked door with red trims. Ooops!
5. Speaking of oops, the jumps are hard! I ended up flying to the switch at the beginning after being deep fried once too many. Getting the soulsphere was difficult too, but at least it's an optional reward rather than a mandatory part of exploration, and you don't die if you miss the jump.

1. Yeah I know, but bleh X3
2. Dynamic light also depends on if you have the light for light-objects (like in Skulltag) turned on :)
3. I know, but I kinda liked the look of an 'old-school' 3D bridge :P
4. Oops indeed :/ Let me look into that really quick (EDIT: fixed, posted a new download link :P)
5. I got the switch-jump down in almost every playthrough :/ The soulsphere is hard to reach indeed. I got that only twice or something myself, haha.

PS: did you get the secrets? :)

Hellbent said:

it didn't load in zdoom map01

It didn't work? I've only playtested this with GZDoom. Skulltag should work fine too, and while it does contain dynamic lights it shouldn't have any mayor effect on the map if you play without them.

The map is in UDMF format by the way, that might have something to do with it.

janvknn said:

poep.png?

Haha, yeah. :)

Agentbromsnor said:

2. Dynamic light also depends on if you have the light for light-objects (like in Skulltag) turned on :)

I think we're talking about two different types of dynamic lights. I don't mean the lights attached to objects like an imp's fireball or a tech lamp; I mean the lights listed at the bottom of this page.

They will show up as error markers in ZDoom because it does not have actors for their editor numbers. If using the software renderer in GZDoom or Skulltag, they will simply be invisible with no effects.

Gez said:

I think we're talking about two different types of dynamic lights. I don't mean the lights attached to objects like an imp's fireball or a tech lamp; I mean the lights listed at the bottom of this page.

They will show up as error markers in ZDoom because it does not have actors for their editor numbers. If using the software renderer in GZDoom or Skulltag, they will simply be invisible with no effects.

I did use dynamic light actors, so if thats the case then you will see those error markers indeed (I don't have that much experience with ZDoom though). But like I said, I testplayed it in GZDoom, so you should play it in either GZDoom or Skulltag.

I did, yeah. I was just mentioning that it doesn't look wonky because of the slopes (which are perfectly fine in software), but because of the dynamic lights. :)