Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

K!r4 said:

End Game

Erik Alm, Joe Pallai, Anthony Soto, Lee Szymanski, Jan Van der Veken... everything is said. Great stuff. Map05 is awesome.

Yep, I've actually played this one quite recently, it is an amazing set of maps. I even created my own midi soundtrack to go along with the levels. :P

Map06 and Map08 are my two favorite maps out of the set, but the rest of the maps are perfect in their own way as well. ;)

playing through Requiem now, properly for the first time. At MAP09. Really enjoying so far. More architectural progress & tricks beyond Momento Mori 1 & 2 I notice. A little easier overall, but a ton of fun.

K!r4 said:

Hell yes this brings back memories, I played this one over and over. Definitely one of my top wads. I've got to play it again soon.

Cyanosis said:

Dawn of the Dead (not to be confused with the excellent zombie film of the same name, the '78 version that is)

Wow, nice E1 mapset, ironically I actually think the E1 episode replacements that deviate from the traditional E1 style (including E2/3 enemies and weapons) are a lot more fun than just blatantly trying to copy Romero. Good looking setpieces, good gameplay, overall enjoyable with minor annoyances (the malfunctioning teleporter on E1M3 was evil when I forgot to save since the start of the map).

It's always nice to hear that people are still enjoying Dawn of the Dead so many years later. You may be happy to hear that I'm currently working on a sequel:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/53924-no-sleep-for-the-dead/

Sorry about the instant death teleporter btw :-) Back when I made dodead, I was still in my experimental phase, putting every new trick I learned into the level I was currently building. I can assure you though that in the new episode, all teleporters are perfectly safe.

Hey, nice!

And heh, it should've been pretty obvious something was wrong just looking at it. I just didn't expect that to occur. Its a cool trick, using a voodoo doll I presume.

Next up on the list is your Classic Episode. I'm surprised I missed so much of this stuff back in the day. I was however, fond to see you were behind The Darkening, one of my favorite WADs I discovered early on.

Finished Whispers of Satan. I have to retract my previous opinion; Corfiatis did an excellent job from map 15 and upwards. Perhaps what was turning me off of his initial levels was the amount of symmetry in them. I enjoyed his levels just as much as Aro, and loved the wad. Not too easy, not too tough. A nice, classic doom slog.

Probably going to CC1 next.

I'm at Map26 of Jenesis now, and man this level set's taking a while to complete.

Edit: Finally finished up Jenesis, and the last few levels (with Map30 being super-easy) being fairly tough. The Baphomet battle at the end of Map28 was a bit tricky as well, though. Map29 was also fairly short. All in all, the megawad was fairly difficult, but the final level was a bit anticlimactic as usual. (Then again, Survive in Hell's endboss was a massive bitch to take out with all those monsters in the way.)

I keep returning to the Monolith series, Crusades and Slayer -- all by Richard Wiles. They are awesome.

I've been slacking off recently playing, but I started DTWID and am currently on Episode 2. Also, with the fairly recent announcement of Threshold of Pain II, I decided to start the first one.

Alkylation looks like it's headed in a good direction. I'm not sold on the plasma shotgun or the bestiary quite yet but Lorenzo has an excellent look and the gameplay is challenging but mostly fair. Looking forward to any updates.

Eternally Yours is pure Valkiriforce, but it's got more of a Doom Core atmosphere in some of the neat map gimmicks. Really liked the Nielsen and Badorek-style maps, but there are plenty of other cool maps to blast away in.

Venom is a total classic. Looks great, tons of action, and some unusually tough fights (like the blind drop in the penultimate room if you don't just rush in) from Ola. While it's very linear, it's no less fun.

Wonderland was a unique experience, using a lot of tricks with light and shadow I've really only seen from Paul Schmitz to create an unusual, otherworldly atmosphere. The first map is a tough nut to crack, but if you can wrap your head around it, you'll have some great experiences (provided you're not dead set on pulling 100% on everything).

Still going through AV, now at Map25. It took me a bunch of tries to get past that big fight at the beginning, but after that I was able to get all the way to the fight with 5 or so Cyberdemons, before dying.

It's pretty obvious that the "hard" part of the megawad has begun. ;)

Perdition's Gate. The size of maps and texturing are a bit disappointing. It's generally a lot like HR map25 so I don't mind too much.

Processingcontrol said:

It's pretty obvious that the "hard" part of the megawad has begun. ;)

Map 26 bro. Map 26.

And pro tip for map 27. Conserve ammo. Or else this:

300 remaining monsters. One shell.

(Taken just now on my own AV playthrough.)

Sometimes I play through doom 2 or plutonia for a while but I mostly play my completed maps, play testing them every day since I gonna release my first episode the moment I finish it (the first 5 maps).

K!r4 said:

Perdition's Gate.

Try playing it on Nightmare mode with infinite ammo. By far the best nightmare mode megawad I've ever played.

Infinite ammo you say? I play it on prboom-plus, maybe the double ammo would be enough :-)

Base Ganymede was very good. It's weird to feel threatened by OG Doom monsters but Khorus pulls it off well and has a lot of great visuals. Some of the maps blow by fast but it's hard to complain when they're loaded with great action.

Also played ODESSA14, which is not nearly as confusing as Evans's Eternal maps (except for maybe that shootable wall in the sewers). A lot of nice action, though, like the opening shootout.

Now playing through DICKIE.

K!r4 said:

Infinite ammo you say? I play it on prboom-plus, maybe the double ammo would be enough :-)

It's still a bit of a stretch, but there are a lot of shotgun guys and zombie men. I use a dehacked patch that changes all the weapons to use chainsaw ammo. RjY and I used to play Perdition's Gate coop on nightmare mode with Odamex. I was pretty obsessed with it for a while.

Playing Khorus' Speedy Shit megawad, and I'm currently in Map31 of the thing. It's surprising how tough the placement is in some of the midgame maps.

Not Doom at the moment, but I am almost done with Rise of the Triad: Dark War. After that I plan to play through Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and its sequel/expansion Planet Strike.

In case anyone's wondering, I've never played these before. And for someone who is a huge fan of oldschool FPS I feel ashamed to not of played them sooner.

Needs More Detail. I wanted to play a level for fun and ended up doing the entire episode.

Finished Khorus' Speedy Shit. Sure, the levels were short, but man did the later ones get tough. Even the IOS level was a bit of a doozy.

"iu-part4c_sg.wad" (INVASION UAC by David "Xsnake" Bernardi)

Playing the wad in singleplayer modus is like playing doom online. Very perfect :-D!

I got through a few maps of the 1994 Tune Up project.

Edit: Currently playing through Equinox with WildWeasel's Nazis mod, having made it up to map07.

Edit 2: Gave up my Equinox: Nazis Edition run, as the second-to-last map having an IOS made it pretty much impossible.

finished Requiem. Second half was not nearly as good as first half. Some filler maps make this not as good as other classics IMO, though some brilliant maps as well. Can see how this is considered a classic though.