Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Diablo 3

So now that Diablo 3 has been released, how do you feel about the game?

I have a level 57 Wizard and am currently struggling through Hell Act II but I am having a blast, the game is incredible.

At first I was worried about the art style, thinking that the game would not be gory enough.Well fear not, the last part of act 1 and 3 are especially gory. In the last part of act 1 there is a torture chamber with heaps of dismembered corpses, racks, guilottines and copious amounts of blood and the hell level is truly something to behold. The game is absolutely beautiful btw and it looks NOTHING like WoW and I should know because I am a long time Blizzard fan.

The gameplay is very fun and although the first two difficulties are not especially hard, from Hell onwards you will have your asses handed to you in no time.

The only thing that really bugs me is the character development and the dialogue, which is very cliched and childish not to mention that the characters are very predictable and boring. One of the characters I really like though is Kormac because of his delightful and over the top dialogue which always makes me laugh.

I would rate the game 9/10.What about you?

I've had a rather busy work week so I was only able to play a bit. So far have a 33 witch doctor and have been playing on and off with a buddy that has a monk. We finished off nightmare skelly king friday night haven't played since because I got a torchlight 2 beta invite for the weekend, haha.

My real impression is that it's gritty and certainly feels like diablo and I think it's a fair continuation of the series and my only complaints aren't enough to make me slam my keyboard too hard.

The music: It's there and some of it is good but...it's so subdued or just seems that way such that it might not even be there. Going from diablo 2 to this is huge difference in ambiance because of it.

Voice overs: The witch doctor has a wonderful voice and cool lines...everything else, like you said is just stupid. Diablo and his realm of "TEAR-ORE" is the worst offender by far. Second place is before the izual fight where we have to hear again and again that 'HEY did you know that he was your lieutenant tyrael???'

Gameplay: Combat up to but not including major boss fights is 100% diablo and 100% fun. Boss fights are fucking wow raid bosses (there is a boss early in act 3 that is pretty much ripped straight from wow, in fact. Forced kiting, acid puddles and ooze adds in all.) and take ages to kill. It brings an interesting dynamic to the game forcing you to strategize a bit. But there has to be some middle ground between making the fights elaborate 10 minute long snorefests and having the bosses be nothing more than slightly tougher champion class monsters.

I give it a 6.5/10 only because I'm a cynic at heart and the lack of offline steams me good. A good game, lots of polish and fun gameplay, but with boss fights as they are, I don't see myself wasting time with hell and inferno.

I have a close friend who's planning to get the game and is willing to give me the guesspass so I can play the demo early before considering getting the game...otherwise I have to wait til mid June for the demo to come out >_<

Quast said:

I've had a rather busy work week so I was only able to play a bit. So far have a 33 witch doctor and have been playing on and off with a buddy that has a monk. We finished off nightmare skelly king friday night haven't played since because I got a torchlight 2 beta invite for the weekend, haha.

My real impression is that it's gritty and certainly feels like diablo and I think it's a fair continuation of the series and my only complaints aren't enough to make me slam my keyboard too hard.

The music: It's there and some of it is good but...it's so subdued or just seems that way such that it might not even be there. Going from diablo 2 to this is huge difference in ambiance because of it.

Voice overs: The witch doctor has a wonderful voice and cool lines...everything else, like you said is just stupid. Diablo and his realm of "TEAR-ORE" is the worst offender by far. Second place is before the izual fight where we have to hear again and again that 'HEY did you know that he was your lieutenant tyrael???'

Gameplay: Combat up to but not including major boss fights is 100% diablo and 100% fun. Boss fights are fucking wow raid bosses (there is a boss early in act 3 that is pretty much ripped straight from wow, in fact. Forced kiting, acid puddles and ooze adds in all.) and take ages to kill. It brings an interesting dynamic to the game forcing you to strategize a bit. But there has to be some middle ground between making the fights elaborate 10 minute long snorefests and having the bosses be nothing more than slightly tougher champion class monsters.

I give it a 6.5/10 only because I'm a cynic at heart and the lack of offline steams me good. A good game, lots of polish and fun gameplay, but with boss fights as they are, I don't see myself wasting time with hell and inferno.

Well, you are mostly right about the music however I REALLY like the drums in act 2 and the music that plays in the hell part. Yeah, the bosses are rip offs from wow but how else could they have been?In the later difficulties the champion mods are much harder than any boss which only have increased damage and health. Some combinations are especially hard like fast arcane and immortal minions.

Took a week off University to play this and was ultimately disappointed, really felt watered down as hell and some levels felt like they were designed in a few minutes. The atmosphere is also almost non-existent. I also hated how you weren't punished at all for dying, you lose 10 durability on all your equipped items which can be repaired for next to nothing, didn't feel as brutal and as unforgiving as Diablo II. There weren't enough open areas I don't want to post any spoilers here but one entire act consisted of running down a linear path hacking the same boring monsters over and over. The game begins really slow and starts to pick up then drops back down again. I hate the fact that there is no offline or lan in it, that made Diablo II so memorable for me, nothing was cooler than Diablo II lans. Lastly I hated having to be connected to a European server (closest region to South Africa) and receiving high latency when wanting to play the game by myself.

I really convinced myself that I hated Diablo III and that I wasted my cash but it really comes to life when you are playing with other people in the server, also the cinematics are incredible and combat can be fun as shit when you're outnumbered and have to plow through over 70 monsters attacking you at once.

Violator said:

Took a week off University to play this and was ultimately disappointed, really felt watered down as hell and some levels felt like they were designed in a few minutes. The atmosphere is also almost non-existent. I also hated how you weren't punished at all for dying, you lose 10 durability on all your equipped items which can be repaired for next to nothing, didn't feel as brutal and as unforgiving as Diablo II. There weren't enough open areas I don't want to post any spoilers here but one entire act consisted of running down a linear path hacking the same boring monsters over and over. The game begins really slow and starts to pick up then drops back down again. I hate the fact that there is no offline or lan in it, that made Diablo II so memorable for me, nothing was cooler than Diablo II lans. Lastly I hated having to be connected to a European server (closest region to South Africa) and receiving high latency when wanting to play the game by myself.

I really convinced myself that I hated Diablo III and that I wasted my cash but it really comes to life when you are playing with other people in the server, also the cinematics are incredible and combat can be fun as shit when you're outnumbered and have to plow through over 70 monsters attacking you at once.

The death penalty is actually quite enough because you need a lot of money for artisans.In hell difficulty, I die on almost every pack and have to repair almost constantly which is becoming quite expensive.

The game has a lot of atmosphere imo and felt a lot like Diablo 2.There are a lot of doodads, monsters, sound effect that look exactly like in diablo 2. I really liked the hell level as well which was a lot cooler than the one in D2, those giant tormented monsters really enhanced the mood for me.

Really couldn't compare it to any previous Diablo's as much as I would've liked to, I still play Diablo 2 religiously and Diablo 3 has nothing on it. That Hell level bored the living shit out of me and I just wanted to finish the game as quick as possible at that point.

Technician said:

This game is on my wait list. I think I'll need a pretty massive upgrade to play it.

Are you sure you can't play it, the sys reqs are pretty low

I have an older laptop (and no desktop) so I had to kill the graphics to make it more playable but it still looks fine. My initial impressions were mixed but I am warming up to it a bit more since then. I haven't bought a new game since Batman Arkham City came out but I picked up this and Max Payne 3 on release day.

DooM_RO said:

One of the characters I really like though is Kormac because of his delightful and over the top dialogue which always makes me laugh.

GLORIOUS

Well I'm enjoying it. Probably even more than I did Diablo 2 (I never really felt like continuing into the higher difficulties in that game, don't think I ever made it past nightmare), but I can definitely see myself level capping multiple characters in this for inferno difficulty.

Having oceanic lag in a single player game kind of sucks though, but I'll live. At least it's not as bad as the lag in 2, which made it pretty much unplayable online.

Shitty servers bar our way...BUT THE WILL OF A TEMPLAR IS STRONGER! Seriously, the servers on the EU side have been down for 4 hours, every game made by blizzard has suffered abysmal launch issues.They should have fixed this by now.

I imagine that I would be having more fun with it today if I weren't getting constantly disconnected.

Why aren't any of you boycotting the game? Seriously, it has the worst DRM ever introduced.

Sodaholic said:

Why aren't any of you boycotting the game? Seriously, it has the worst DRM ever introduced.

I'm definitely boycotting the heck out of this game, and I just spoke with a few of my gamer friends at a bar last night who were doing the same.

Sodaholic said:

I already sold my soul when I bought Lord of Destruction for the extra chest space.

I probably won't be buying this game anyway. I'm one version behind the minimal Mac requirements.

It stole my boyfriend from me all week :/

I played a little on a guest pass. Felt really really repetitive, and stale. Not worth the $60 to me.

Technician said:

I probably won't be buying this game anyway. I'm one version behind the minimal Mac requirements.

Minimum won't cut it, don't be fooled. I'm not sure why DooM_RO says the system req are low because if you just meet it you might be fine if you play solo if there aren't too many enemies on screen, but don't even consider playing with another player unless you want to game to run in slow-mo.

EDIT: for those of you interested in torchlight 2 go here http://www.torchlight2game.com/ and sign up for the beta weekend. It ends on tuesday however.

Vordakk said:

I'm definitely boycotting the heck out of this game, and I just spoke with a few of my gamer friends at a bar last night who were doing the same.

I'm also boycotting this game, it looks fun however South Africa has a shitty internet service and your ping sky rockets just by playing in single player because the closest server is in Europe.

Sodaholic said:

I'm boycotting anyone who thinks that making games dumber and more boring is a good idea.

Please don't tell me that if you want to play single player, not only you need an Internet connection (which has been announced and is expected), but also the servers need to work... Or is that an issue only for multiplayer? Or is there no option to play alone?

I probably won't buy this game, because my casual playing days are over. If I want a similarly mighty feeling like with the Demon Hunter (I presume), I can try Hexen with its own mighty characters and its fairly good number of custom maps from /idgames.

printz said:

Please don't tell me that if you want to play single player, not only you need an Internet connection (which has been announced and is expected), but also the servers need to work... Or is that an issue only for multiplayer? Or is there no option to play alone?

OK, I won't.

OK, I will; you need a constant internet connection to play single.

Belial said:

Is not giving a shit about it enough of a boycott?

No, you must be vocal. Go to your nearest game store and complain to the staff at the top of your lungs.

I'd give it a 3/10, originally 5/10 but -2 because of the ridiculous online shit and no offline or lan mode.

Technician said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii/user-reviews

As per usual, the paid critics are lapping up Blizzard's cum, but the average reviewers are actually panning this game. The more I read, the less I want to rush out and upgrade.

Maybe when Doom 4 comes out I'll rush out and buy a new computer, but not for this game

In my opinion, Metacritic should just curl up and die. Paid reviews are bad, yeah but Diablo or even ANY OTHER game does NOT deserve a 0/10 no matter how bad someone thinks it is.

DooM_RO said:

In my opinion, Metacritic should just curl up and die. Paid reviews are bad, yeah but Diablo or even ANY OTHER game does NOT deserve a 0/10 no matter how bad someone thinks it is.

I don't know, I'm pretty dated, but relying on my internet connection to play single player would be a complete crap shoot. I can accept the lame DRM, but being unable to play a solid single player campaign would piss me the fuck off.

The DRM hasn't bothered me in SC2 and it does not bother me in D3.Besides the launch issues(which piss me off terribly) I really fail to see why this restriction bothers anyone(unless I'm missing something).IF you have a crappy internet connection, I can understand but I live in a developing country and the internet here is pretty stable and fast.I imagine it's even better in the US but I could be wrong.Why not look at the bright side of it and think of how this will prevent duping and cheating much more effectively than Diablo 2, which had a ton of security issues.