Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Xbox 360 To Be Banned in the United States?

I recently found out that Judge David Shaw recommends that the Xbox 360 should be banned in the USA. If it happens then this will be total bullshit because the Xbox 360 is an awesome system, but that's just my opinion about the console.

Read this article for more info.

I'm surprised a US Judge wants to cut off one of the major US companies, even with all of the trials and legal proceedings. I think this would be a very late term victory for Motorola even if it did work, given the sheer numbers of 360s out in the world already.

NitroactiveStudios said:

If it happens then his will be total bullshit because the Xbox 360 is an awesome system.

And being awesome means they should be exempt from patent infringement laws, right?

Phobus said:

I'm surprised a US Judge wants to cut off one of the major US companies, even with all of the trials and legal proceedings.

Since both Microsoft and Motorola (Google) are US companies the judges can't simply fuck the foreigner.

Anyways, since Microsoft is all for this kind of patent I'm sure they'll be happy to comply, no?

Given the fuck they give to patents, it's only what they deserve at some point. Don't add fuel to fire over the years when smoke comes from your pants.

Xaser said:

All of this because of a software patent?

Our best chance to be rid of software patents will be when big business has clogged the courts with endless litigation over who owns what.

Apart from that, all I have to say is - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

M$ deserve this for their hideous amount of patent-trolling against makers of Android phones. Fuck M$

lol xbox

I'll be sticking with my PC, thanks. Snarkiness aside, I kinda do feel bad for 360 owners.

I don't really give a crap about the 360, but it would be pretty dumb to see it banned. I predict an out-of-court settlement, like how Apple made the arrangement with CISCO over the "iPhone" name.

Nomad said:

I predict an out-of-court settlement, like how Apple made the arrangement with CISCO over the "iPhone" name.

I'd love to see a ban just to witness actual punishment taken to a high-tier corporation other than a fine or settlement.

We all know they'll settle, though.

As much as I'd like to see the empty suits get what they deserve for once as well, it's simply impractical to ban them.

Nomad said:

As much as I'd like to see the empty suits get what they deserve for once as well, it's simply impractical to ban them.

I don't see how they could. Maybe just stop hardware and software production, but I can't see the actual banning of actual existing consoles or software.

Microsoft should be just about ready to make a new console anyhow.

Obviously they can't ban existing product. Laws never do that; they simply ban sales. It's the same for consumer safety issues. You can keep your giant lawn darts from 1985. Put them on eBay and you'd better not get caught.

Well if this would lead them to properly focus on pc gaming then I'd find this a good thing but I doubt that will ever happen.

Aliotroph? said:

Obviously they can't ban existing product. Laws never do that; they simply ban sales. It's the same for consumer safety issues. You can keep your giant lawn darts from 1985. Put them on eBay and you'd better not get caught.

So it would be illegal to sell your Xbox?

NitroactiveStudios said:

I recently found out that Judge David Shaw recommends that the Xbox 360 should be banned in the USA. If it happens then this will be total bullshit because the Xbox 360 is an awesome system, but that's just my opinion about the console.

That's not how patent law works.

It won't be banned. Patent cases like this happen all the time, where things get technically "banned" by legal injunctions, but in practise nothing really happens. Here's a similar article about Samsung's Galaxy smartphones for example, where Apple got an injunction served against them.

Things being actually banned from import and sale is really just a final consequence that can happen as a result of patent infringement. When there's a case between big companies like this it's really just a kind of legal posturing. Motorola want some money out of Microsoft and they're using the legal powers available to them to try to achieve that goal. The threat of an impending legal blockade of the Xbox is intended to force Microsoft's hand and bring them to a settlement sooner.

Xbox 360? Meh, still going strong with the PC since December 1995. But, if they do manage to ban it, then Xbox 360 fans should fight against that decision, I mean, why not?

Just last year or so MS was forced to pay some small Canadian company 290 million for one of the patents in Word.

I guess I was the first to talk in this tone, but really now, if the companies' roles were reversed (someone else stealing patents from Microsoft), would you be bashing them as well?

GreyGhost said:

Apart from that, all I have to say is - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

My thoughts exactly. The saying "hoisted by their own petard" comes to mind.

printz said:

I guess I was the first to talk in this tone, but really now, if the companies' roles were reversed (someone else stealing patents from Microsoft), would you be bashing them as well?

Probably; if that company was as active as Microsoft has been on lobbying for all sort of liberticide legislation re: patents and IP laws.