Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The inverted crucifix door thingy in E2M1

I've always wondered what it's supposed to be. If it's just a security door then why is it in the shape of an inverted crucifix? Part of the hellification of the base, or just that way because it looks cool?

It looks peculiar and dangerous, considering that the last time you saw that texture, it was the elevator walls in E1M8 just before meeting the bruiser brothers.

I think it's just something that appeared there to microwave you to fries if you stayed there, like a trap.

The inverted cross shape means nothing, especially to some scientists. It's probably to accommodate for that device, as well as for the Doom engine.

Are you trying to make a Doom 3 (or other realistic setting) remake of it, is this why you're asking?

Well the level is called Deimos "Anomaly". Perhaps the anomalies are demonic in origin with bases built around them, rather than being completely human in origin.

Hell is taking over, and that is one of the first signs you see of such a thing. Humans probably didn't make it, my guess it supernaturally formed there and being an inverted cross just makes it seem more demonic.

I think if it were Doom 3-ified (or TSoZD?) it would look like a giant stove, glowing red from lava and hellish lights, as well as emitting lots of heat.

PRIMEVAL said:

Hell is taking over, and that is one of the first signs you see of such a thing. Humans probably didn't make it, my guess it supernaturally formed there and being an inverted cross just makes it seem more demonic.

No way man, there's got to be a much deeper metaphorical symbolism than that. I would know, I listen to Tool.

I remember seeing it, and I think it's there to tell you you're close to hell. (actually you're over it in episode 2)

I'm not sure why it hurts you though, maybe it's because it's hot in between there or maybe there's a force that hurts you. There's also a triangle in the same level that hurts you too if you stand on it too long.

I also found this line on the level's Doom Wiki Page that has an interesting description to the unholy cross.

"Trudge not, lest ye be judged."

Someone died there and they buried him in the ceiling, so that's why the cross is upside-down.

My interpretation of the Doom universe is concerned with an evil super being that is sadistic in nature, so any sort of "hellification" is its attempt to torture humanity through demonic ambushes and horrific imagery. This super being--the Icon of Sin, I suppose, although it can be seen as just another pawn--knows of our deepest fears and takes advantage of that. I'm sure that in the future there will still be God-fearing people, or at least people who still regard images like inverted crosses as "evil."

Despite the fact that the St. Peter's cross is actually a symbol of great dedication to Christ?

The actual backstory to the image is that Peter requested being crucified upside down because upright was too mainstream, the hipster fag because he felt he wasn't worthy to merely suffer the same fate as Jesus and instead opted for an even worse one.

Cyanosis said:

No way man, there's got to be a much deeper metaphorical symbolism than that. I would know, I listen to Tool.

HAHAHA, OH WOW

I wish there was a Doom port that natively supported hell engulfing into humans' reality (through whatever algorithms).

Probably some form of security scanner that was previously in place on Deimos to prevent demons from entering. But after Deimos disappeared, it was taken under the influence of Hell and transformed into some evil security device that harms non-demon lifeforms instead.

DoomUK said:

I've always wondered what it's supposed to be. If it's just a security door then why is it in the shape of an inverted crucifix? Part of the hellification of the base, or just that way because it looks cool?

I've never wondered what it was supposed to be.

Dragonsbrethren said:

It's the first in a long list of E2 mindfucks.

I always just assumed without thinking about it that it was a product of hell, not a man made structure, but I suppose it could have been a gateway that was subverted by hell's minions.