Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NokturnuS

Can't Run From Evil - Part 1 -- Test -- **UPDATE**

** UPDATE LINK FOR RELEASE VERSION **

LINK:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/97_g6PIntj/crfe-p1.zip

Hi everyone!

I uploaded a new version of my mappack. If all goes fine i upload to the archives on weekend. On the notes.
- Added 1 more map, map02. Its a techbase, similar to map01 but i try to focus the gameplay on fireballs rather than hitscans. Also, lots of blue, so you maybe try the alternate palette file or your eyes will burn..
- Rename crfepal.wad to altpal.wad
- Test with Prboom-Plus, Zdoom 2.4.1 and Eternity. Not designed with jump in mind tho.
- Added a blue keycard (and blue door) in map01.
- Balance ammo and health for UV and HMP so you dont end the levels in HMP with a shitload of ammo.
- The wad contains a lot of textures that i dont use but plan to use in future maps. There are some gothictx textures but also some made by me. Use them if you want (if you dont find em ugly).
- Of course there still are some misalignments.
- Music for map 1,2 and 3 by Mark Klem, from mm2mus and reqmus. Map 4 music from TNT.wad

I hope you enjoy the maps! Feedback are welcome before i upload to the archives. Tell me if you hate/love/dont give a shit/etc.. Drop a line here or send an e-mail to:
nokturnus@gmail.com
or
pedro_r_p@hotmail.com

** UPDATE LINK FOR RELEASE VERSION **

LINK:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/97_g6PIntj/crfe-p1.zip

Thanks for your time!

I'm very happy to hear that you are doing this. You've made some legendary maps over the years. I'll be sure to play them when I get some time.

Perhaps you could clarify whether the maps use Boom features or if they require simply limit-removal (i.e. -complevel 9 or -complevel 2). It isn't totally clear from your description. "Designed for prboom-plus" doesn't tell us much, as prboom-plus can emulate vanilla (with limits extended), Boom and MBF, amongst others.

damn. only played some of map01 but these look great. when i loaded up map02 in skulltag it said something about needing to switch to gl mode for me to be able to view the map's (supposedly) 3d floors.

Being a big (secret) admirer of your work, I didn't hesitate much and downloaded this. I've played MAP01 on skill 4, then dropped to skill 2. Specs: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.1, complevel 9. I was virtually everywhere, but couldn't finish the map - no clue where the exit is.

Impressions and "playtesting issues"

Resembles MAP09 from Caverns, in the way there is a big open area at the start, from where you can go anywhere. The progress is very slow thanks to monsters being everywhere, too :) The level looks great.

Some problems and things I didn't like

1. No keys, so no sense of progress made. Like I said, I've been "everywhere", got SSG, RL, had only about 20 monsters left, and no idea what to do.

2. These bars
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/wojtunio/doom110.jpg
I thought I'd have to wait for them to lower, but now I guess this is just scrolling textures vertically. Confusing for such a noob as myself who plays mostly vanilla maps.

3. A few sergeants which don't react to the player shooting, for example here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/wojtunio/doom109.jpg

4. A very steep long staircase with a ceiling which is too low I think, using it for descending takes ages.

5. Probably too much ammo on lower skills.

I won't tell you anything about the other maps, first I must figure out how to finish that damn monster of the first map, haha. Thanks for presenting this awesome work.

Thanks man, hope you enjoy it!

On the map:

1.- Keys. Maybe i add a keydoor behind the donwstairs (the ones with the low ceilling). Initially i didnt want to add keys so you can wander free around the whole level but i think i takes the non-linearity to the extreme.

2.- Bars. Maybe change to horizontal scroll to avoid confusion.

3.- Weird... maybe these lines have block-sound flag.. i check on editor.

4.- Staircase. Yes, i should raise the ceilling. Its easy to go upstairs than donwstairs i think. At the end of the downstairs there's a big area with 2 switches, they raise the bars to reveal a teleport in the outside area, near the water. This teleport leads to outside part of the exit room. From there is easy to find the exit.

5.- Yes, its hard to balance ammo and health for lower difficult settings. Must work on it.

Cya!

DeathevokatioN said:

... Realm of Shades is a masterpiece and anyone who hasn't played it yet should feel bad!!

Now I do feel bad because this wad is really fun, and crazy -never had a single chance to rest. Downloading Realm of Shades right now...

I've no idea why this thread went to a dormant state. I'm having lots of fun with MAP02 - I regard it as a kind of a sequel to Hydrosfear, I see some ideas are copied which is nothing bad, I enjoyed Hydrosfear so much I don't mind playing many, many more similar maps. I've yet to beat it on skill 3, skill 4 looks "extreme". Amazing stuff which everyone should check.

vdgg said:

I've no idea why this thread went to a dormant state. I'm having lots of fun with MAP02 - I regard it as a kind of a sequel to Hydrosfear, I see some ideas are copied which is nothing bad, I enjoyed Hydrosfear so much I don't mind playing many, many more similar maps. I've yet to beat it on skill 3, skill 4 looks "extreme". Amazing stuff which everyone should check.

Yes, this map is very hard at skill 4. Key at beggining is try to get monsters into infights, specially cacos and knights. BFG secret helps a lot for the final cybie battle.
Glad you enjoy the map!
Cya.

WOAH. I tried map01 and was blown away by its awesomeness! Amazing design, very good non-linear layout and gameplay. UV balance was a little unfair though: i ran out of ammo several times in the first half. Please watch my demo, try to balance the start a little better, and than this map will be perfect!

How do you manage to create such complex layouts? Do you draw maps on paper?

Two visual glitches:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/doom597.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/doom598.jpg/

Memfis, I'm impressed. You finished MAP01 on the first try!? Wow. 1% health moments, getting one secret (blur sphere + revenant) from the "incorrect" way, haha.

I think NokturnuS was more generous with ammo than Memfis in that Requiem tribute... it's much about luck when playing for the first time, I think.

I recorded a speedrun on MAP01 :)

DeathevokatioN said:

This is awesome news! Realm of Shades is a masterpiece and anyone who hasn't played it yet should feel bad!!

Agreed :P

Yay, more Nokmaps!

FDA for MAP01 on UV

Progressed 3/4 of the way judging from the final monster count, bites the dust due to ammo problems and getting pinned down in several areas forcing me to backtrack to the precarious underground, and partly due to forgetting to grab the Partial Invis, very gracious to have found the initial Armor and SSG secret! Would have been mince meat without them!

An astonishingly excellent non-linear, chaotic tech base in the style of your previous maps, I drew an immediate comparison with 'Velapax' except the distinction being the detail isn't excessive and their's a more acute focus on frantic gameplay, I can see where the WAD's title transpired from, no matter which direction you take monsters always seem to track you down, it's an excellent method of instilling the 'survival horror' vibe into a raw, arcade experience as DOOM, perhaps that may explain the tight ammo supply.

The pockets of enemies requires an uncanny strategic and patient method of attack, rarely seen in the majority of other maps, it's a very welcome change to the redundant run and gun blazing shenanigans with quasi movement, instead you have to move carefully given the superb sniping positions of Zombies and distant projectile enemies.

Think I'll revisit 'Realm of Shades' and reattempt 'Demonzoid' as I never finished it due to getting completely and utterly stuck.

I certainly look forward to seeing more, great work! :)

Hi, been a long time, just return to Doom a few weeks ago after a long SC2 time (dont go online 'til HOTS beta come out so plenty of time for RL and Doom). Thanks to all for the feedback and the nice speedruns. I'm gonna upload an update of the maps this weekend. Just made i few tweaks like add a blue keycard on map01 and balance the ammo and health for UV and HMP in general so you dont finish the levels in HMP with a shitload of ammo. I also add a new map, map02, so the mappack contains 4 levels now. Its another techbase map, like map01 but i try to focus the gameplay on fireballs rather than hitscans, so lots of imps and cacos here (and some Lost Souls).
If all gone well i upload the next weekend the pack into the archives.

Thanks for your time !

In restrospect, I have one suggestion on the old MAP02. The BFG area is too easy once you know it, since you can grab the weapon and escape immediately through the teleporter. Maybe keep the teleporter area (sectors 431,432,433 and so on) closed until the player enters at least one of the hell knight/baron compartments (sector 419)?

vdgg said:

In restrospect, I have one suggestion on the old MAP02. The BFG area is too easy once you know it, since you can grab the weapon and escape immediately through the teleporter. Maybe keep the teleporter area (sectors 431,432,433 and so on) closed until the player enters at least one of the hell knight/baron compartments (sector 419)?

Nice idea. I think i can add some switches for every room in order to access the teleport. Not hard at all to implement.

Played the first 20% (judging by monster count) of the first map, and thought it was really good. I love huge sprawling maps like these. Map 01 kind of puts me in mind of the Vrack series, actually.

If I was going to nitpick anything, it would be the odd texture misalignment. But the design and layout of the first map is just wonderful.

And you say you have 25 of these? Wow. Now I have yet another project to look forward to...

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Played the first 20% (judging by monster count) of the first map, and thought it was really good. I love huge sprawling maps like these. Map 01 kind of puts me in mind of the Vrack series, actually.

If I was going to nitpick anything, it would be the odd texture misalignment. But the design and layout of the first map is just wonderful.

And you say you have 25 of these? Wow. Now I have yet another project to look forward to...

Thanks man. Yes i have lots of maps that never finished and never upload. I give em a try now,but better release them in little mappacks of 3 or 4 maps and maybe finally i put em all in a megawad. If i wait till i finish em all maybe they never see the light of day :)

Cya

Gzdoom says: Unknown type 20005(4x) and 27001(1x) in map03
Also: lines' 11244, 12028, 13212, 13237-13250, 13252, 13255 right edges are unconnected.
What is that? I saw these missing objects near that wooden house with plasma+soulsphere+berserk.

Sokoro said:

Gzdoom says: Unknown type 20005(4x) and 27001(1x) in map03
Also: lines' 11244, 12028, 13212, 13237-13250, 13252, 13255 right edges are unconnected.
What is that? I saw these missing objects near that wooden house with plasma+soulsphere+berserk.

Hi there.

I remember i start creating this level with Eternity in mind, so these objects (20005 and 27001) probably were some new things like monsters or decorations. I forget to erase em when i switch to prboom, and becuase neither prboom-plus or zdoom give me online warnings about unknown things they remain here. Honestly i don't test the maps with Gzdoom, but i take it in consideration for the next batch of levels.

About the linedefs:
11244 - just a remaining line of some section i probably erase.
12028 - MBF Sky transfer line
13212 - Set translucency line
13237 - 13250 - Sky transfer
13252 - Sky transfer
13255 - Sky transfer

These linedefs are "loose", they don't enclose any sector. It's not necessary because they're only are control lines and never been seen during gameplay.
Hope this clear things.

Cya!

ZDoom gives the same warnings as GZDoom, you just need to think about looking at the console when you start the map. (Or, in this case, notice the <!> markers that appeared in the level in place of unknown things.)