Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mcopo

HELP! Super Sonic Doom Doesn't work!!

How do I run this damn wad?!
The specified ZDOOM version crashes (Fatal error: mapinfo line 10: bad syntax) and any other version does the same thing or run the game not correctly...
Someone, help! Even google couldn't do it!

Does it come with a specialized version of ZDoom or can you run it with a more recent version? Try doing that if that's the case.

When you say "the specified version", this depends on which release of the wad you are using.

What is the date-stamp of the wad, and which Zdoom version are you trying to run it with? Check the txt file in the zip you downloaded.

mcopo said:

How do I run this damn wad?!
The specified ZDOOM version crashes (Fatal error: mapinfo line 10: bad syntax) and any other version does the same thing or run the game not correctly...
Someone, help! Even google couldn't do it!

zdoom -file sonic.wad

Assuming you've downloaded the current version from the archive (which was updated little more than a year ago), what you need is ZDoom 2.5.0 (r3010) or GZDoom 1.5.03 (r990) or a more recent version of either. Skulltag 0.98D also appears to works OK. Don't forget to disable wallrunning for Map17.

My SuperSonicDoom version is the latest. And I just tried running with GZDoom 1.5.06 r1104, and it works ok, but the blue card door (with the pistol inside) still don't open "visually" (i can get through it though)! At first, I thought this was some kind of problem with the source port. I didn't even bother playing more of the game because I expected more problems like this in the later levels. But since this version is specified on the .txt, I guess this may be just a bug and the game will work fine.
What confused me was the Ultimate DooMer website: it gives the download for the lates SSD version and for the old required version (.94f)... If i only had read the .txt...
Anyway, lesson learned, and thanks for everybody for helping me!!

mcopo said:

My SuperSonicDoom version is the latest. And I just tried running with GZDoom 1.5.06 r1104, and it works ok, but the blue card door (with the pistol inside) still don't open "visually" (i can get through it though)! At first, I thought this was some kind of problem with the source port. I didn't even bother playing more of the game because I expected more problems like this in the later levels. But since this version is specified on the .txt, I guess this may be just a bug and the game will work fine.

it's not a bug, it's a feature! (TM)
seriously though, that's intended behavior: the mod was designed for ZDoom, not GZDoom, and ZDoom doesn't have support for 3D floors. well, at least not back then. so TUD couldn't have it open visually in ZDoom because it would be quite impossible to do so.

there are no huge bugs in the game that hinders progress further on in the game: it all works pretty much just fine in the latest GZDoom/ZDoom.