Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vortex Lord

polyobj question

Poly objects are easy to make, and add a nice touch to the levels.
But something has been bothering me for a while, how to make a object that consists only of one line (that can be a fence trough which you can shoot trough and swing it like a door)?
I saw things like this in Serpent Resurrection for HeXen and some things long time ago...
The main reason why I`m asking this is that Zdoom wiki is not rich with information.
Thank you. :D

Could it have been an ANIMDEF, not a polyobject? I could be wrong. I'm not very well-versed with polyobjects, but I know many complicated forms can be made with PolyObject_ExplicitLine. Perhaps you can use a combination of that with PolyObject_DoorSwing to get the desired effect, although I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

You can use two-sided linedefs for polyobjects if they are all explicit lines. Serpent uses this method.

I don't think they're a single line, however; but if the lines have midtextures on only one side each, it will seem to be a single line as the opposite won't be visible.

Gez said:

You can use two-sided linedefs for polyobjects if they are all explicit lines. Serpent uses this method.

Cool! I used a explicit line on a single linedef, and it worked!
Though I had to use another line as a trigger that swings the poly...
Also what`s this Rendering Order? I`ve put it to 1.
Thanks much!

It's a legacy from Hexen, which needed it. ZDoom complains if it's 0, but doesn't care if they are all set to the same value...

If you want an explicit line to also be a trigger line, you have to give it a lineid (either through the param for that in Hexen format, or with the linedef property in UDMF) and then use an OPEN script to set the line's special with SetLineSpecial.