Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IMJack

Nukage: Barrels of Fun!

I thik the barrels full of nuclear waste that were everywhere in the original games should return in Doom 3. This corrosive, toxic, explosive glowing shit should be everywhere, by the barrel-, vat-, and lake-ful.

It should be a little more advanced than "shoot the barrel, barrel go boom" in the new game. Shooting a barrel with a typical bullet weapon shouldn't do much more than punch a hole in the barrel and cause the nukage to start leaking out. You should also be able to kick over barrels and have the nukage spill out all over the place. Leaking/spilling nukage should hurt creatures that it splashes on, but standing in a pudle of nukage shouldn't hurt unless you stand in it long enough for your boots to melt. Spilled nukage could slowly eat through the floor it's spilled on; this could be used to create puzzles or open secret areas.

An explosive or a fire attack directly to the nukage should set the stuff off. Spilled nukage on floors, walls, and criters could burst into flame when lit off. Throwing a hand grenade or a remote-controlled bomb in a barrel full of nukage would make for a nasty surprise. And if anyone's stupid enough to set off a lakeful of the stuff, the ignition effect should be spectacular and brutal. (remember the fueling station level in Jedi Knight?)

If there's a shallow river or lake of nukage, you could be able to wade across it with the proper protection (which shouldn't last too long). Swimming in the stuff would be suicidal. Let's say the deeper the nukage you're standing in, the faster your protective gear would corrode. Hey, you'd need protective gear to get anywhere close to the stuff without the toxins overwhelming you.

Thoughts?

I feel the sameway especially about putting a few holes in the barrels and waste squirting out,or being able to knock barrels on their sides(my tactic would be to knock over barrels to block passage
ways from pursuing hords while some monsters wouldn't know what to do and others would either climb or jump over the barrels an keep coming after you. I would very much would like to see much larger explosions from the barrels that completly blacks-out the area the explode in like in SYPHON FILTER. Reading your ideas seemed very similiar to events that took place in the DooM novels. Fess-UP!! you read the novels,didn't you?

well i wanna see the nukage barrel with lid closed(original DOOM barrel has no lid).i wanna kick the barrel and make it rolled on the floor through the way where enemys are.shoot the barrel,KABOOM! enemys die.(my description may be not clear,it's like a scripted event in Resident evil3)it gonna be an amusing and effective way to kill monsters ,also a good tactic in multiplayer game too.

Spilled nukage on floors

the physics of liquid flow should be done right too.

I like your ideas, but there's one element in it I think is ridiculous: Nuclear waste!
I may not know a whole lot about nuclear waste, but what I do know is that you wouldn't survive in the long run when exposed to radioactive material. And I can't see why nuclear waste would explode when you shoot it - isn't nukage just some sort of powder material that just gives off radiation?

I never really liked the element of radioative waste in the old Doom games, because I already knew that Radiation is far mor dangerous than it was portrayed in Doom.

It would make a lot more sense if barrels contain chemical waster and/or fuel - such things are flammable and at times explosive.
And pools of slime should be toxic waste products, not nukage.

Speaking of radioactive materials, however, I wouldn't mind if the game has a few rooms with radioactive levels, but these should be deadly to enter without a rad shielding suit (which should be a rare "objective specific" item - the game should have enviro suits for stuff like slime pools and boiling blood pools instead of the old games' typical rad suit). This of course wouldn't be totally realistic that you die quickly in these rooms (effects of radiation aren't immediate), but it would be better than the old "player-takes-a-little-damage-from-touching-radioactive-ooze" and my idea might add to the game experience.

I always wondered why the DooMGuy didn't mutate whenever he got close to the acid/nukage in Doom. :)

On a side note: I would be both extremely surprised AND supremely dissapointed if id leaves out the barrels and the ability to somehow blow them up - I have to disagree slightly to one of the points in IMJack's post above:
I still want the abilty to blow up barrels early in the game which means blowing it up with projectile weapons, BUT the first shot (if it's from the pistol - the shotgun just empties too much firepower into the barrel unless of course you only hit the barrel with two of the pellets or so) should just cause a leak and firing at the leaking chemical/whatever will cause it to ignite. firing at the barrel itself after having hit it once will just create a larger hole, but maybe the third shot will ignite the liquid in the barrel and not only cause it to explode, but will also set the leaking stuff on fire.

That was the only "complaint" I had so far, have a nice day :-)

What I think depends on where the game takes place. If it's in a UAC facility, it should have some kind of explosive green poisonous substance, but it shouldn't be radioactive material. They could have nuclear stuff, but it should be in closed barrels and marked differently warning the player that if he shoots it, he's going to go boom.
If it's on earth, I can't really say that the barrel of goo is a good idea. It could take place in areas that would have other explosive things (Oil fields, labs, or have the military have set up bombs that were forgotten after the population of Earth was evacuated.)

Paul Jaquays once hinted that the game where to take place on Mars.
I don't quite recall where it was, but it was in reply to someone whishing that the new game had some proper particle effects so that there would be stuff like snow in the game, to which PJ replied: "Snow on Mars?".
Not to mention that the new UAC logo has Mars in it.

So I've got reasons to believe that we're going to kill demons inside infested UAC bases.

Yeah, nuclear waste is kinda dangerous. The whole "shoot the barrel, make the shit ooze everywhere and then burn it" sounds good to me...and the bit about leaving a remote controlled bomb inside would make for some excellent kills in multiplayer...or even a proximinity bomb...

Nuke barrels rule...I think you should be able to knock them over or push them, and when they explode, goo goes everwhere, and so does shrapnel from the barrel...

Hey, a new weapon idea: A small cannister of nukage. It could either be dropped, unopened, on the ground, or you could open it up and pour it on the ground. Also, check this out, the "Astrolite" heading, for how spilled nukage should work.