Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
djvero

Fast Plasma Marine

Hello,

I have a question. Where can I find that kick-ass marine used in for example Scythe 2? I've seen it in some other wads too. It shoots green plasma bolts and is extremely fast.

I've looked on realm667.com but I cannot find it there. Does anybody know or am I not allowed to use it?

Any help would be grateful. Thanks!

djvero said:

Hello,

I have a question. Where can I find that kick-ass marine used in for example Scythe 2? I've seen it in some other wads too. It shoots green plasma bolts and is extremely fast.

I've looked on realm667.com but I cannot find it there. Does anybody know or am I not allowed to use it?

Any help would be grateful. Thanks!

So far nobody claimed any copyright on Dehacked patches, AFAIK. So just rip the Dehacked patch off Scythe 2.

See I wasn't aware that was allowed. But then again, I have very little knowledge about that kind of stuff; tried to get it working in Slade, but I failed...

They are creative works, so copyright certainly exists. Check the permissions text and if necessary contact the author.

I'm not sure who the original author is, or if there are differing versions, or if several people have independently created a similar monster. The earliest I know of, off the top of my head, is in Wheel of Time Doom.

In this particular case I'm not sure there's anything to copyright.

All the resources used for Scythe 2's plasma gun marine are stock, and all the creativity lies in a small amount of simple DEH stuff.

I'd just learn how to use DEH and make my own plasma gun marine.

The idea is to take a worthless enemy (like the Wolfenstein SS), change its sprite to use marine sprites, and then change its attack codepointer to use the arachnotron's. Then you can also change other stuff (speed, health, etc.).

I haven't even looked at Scythe's dehacked patch.

Yeah I suck at that stuff...don't have enough knowledge about it how to do it.

So...in other words, I'm not allowed to use Scythe's evil marine (or any other WAD's marine) without permission? I'm confused, since some people say yes, but others say no and I don't want to do anything "illegal" in my WAD(s)

djvero said:

Yeah I suck at that stuff...don't have enough knowledge about it how to do it.

So...in other words, I'm not allowed to use Scythe's evil marine (or any other WAD's marine) without permission? I'm confused, since some people say yes, but others say no and I don't want to do anything "illegal" in my WAD(s)

The Scythe 2 marine, in my opinion, is too trivial to copyright. The idea it uses was described by Gez (except Sc2's marine also has color translation bits enabled). If you're still concerned about opinion of copyright extremists like Grazza, make your "own".

The plasmarines are so easy to recreate that you don't need to copy it. It's like wanting to put a pillar in a map and worrying you're copying from the MAP01 pillars, which are also a hollowed-out zone inside a sector. :/

Haha okay I get it lol. Basically IF I copy the marine, everyone would think I created it myself anyway...

Thanks people! I appreciate any answer given :)

Hey djvero,

Since DEHACKED is a bit of a complicated language to learn, and since you want such a simple and minor thing, I went ahead and duplicated the necessary information from the Scythe 2 Dehacked Patch for the "Evil Marine."

Open your map with Doombuilder and place SS Nazi's wherever you want your Evil Marines to be. Run your wad in conjunction with the evilmarine.deh (this can be done using the -file command in the command line, or you can hold CTRL to select multiple files and drag them on top of your ZDOOM.exe shortcut) to make the Evil Marine appear where the SS Nazis were placed. Another thing you can do is use a Lump Editor, such as SLADE, Slumped, or XWE to import the Dehacked patch into your map wad. All you have to do is import the dehacked patch, and name the lump DEHACKED and then you'll be able to load the map wad with the evil marine already in it without having to run multiple files.

As TimeOfDeath said, the Evil Marine is a pretty well-known novelty monster in a pretty well-known megawad, so you should highly consider mentioning Erik Alm (The creator of Scythe 2) in the credits section of the text file with your wad when/if you make it available for download, to avoid any conflicts that may or may not occur. Enjoy!

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8342_evilmarine.zip

Wow thanks man. I really appreciate that! However, now when I load the map (in Zdoom) it says: "Invalid data encountered for texture [name of wad].wad:EVILMARI" when the whole thing is loading in zDoom (I took a quick screenshot of it while it was loading) . The game/wad does work, but I suppose this message shouldn't be there??

And yes, I will mention Erik Alm in the text file once my wad is finished. I think he's one of my most favourite mappers!

Yeah I don't think it should. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like ZDoom is reading the dehacked patch as if it were a texture. With some editors, if you import a file as a texture, it will automatically generate a PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lump which sorts out all Doom's textures, but that's unrelated to what you're trying to do here. What editor did you use to import the dehacked patch? Maybe then we could help you figure out how to import the lump correctly.

I used Slade3.0 for importing it. I went to Archive, clicked "Import Files" and then chose the one you gave me, renamed it to DEHACKED and that's it.

However, before I do something (new) in Slade I always "test" it first with a copy. I deleted it, did the above again and now I don't seem to get that message?? Weird

You should know that it's important in Doom to pay attention to namespaces. If you put the DEHACKED lump in between, say, TX_START and TX_END, ZDoom will think you have a texture here.

DEHACKED lumps should be in the global namespace, that is to say, outside of any marker.

Okay man thanks. Without this forum I would've still been nowhere with mapping haha