Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fish Sandwich

WADs that aren't serious, but aren't jokewads

Does anyone have any recommendations for maps that have a a tongue-in-cheek feel without being completely ridiculous/shitty? I'm talking about WADs along the lines of Massmouth 2, Grove, Mandrill Ass Project, etc. Stuff like that.

I find that a lot of ZDoom .WADs from around 2000-2004 aren't entirely serious, such as ZDCMP#1, the Zort series and TheUltmateDoomer's works (License to Spell Doom and Super Sonic Doom in particular). They usually just have a few Easter Eggs, perhaps the author talking directly to the player and a few references to things in the community at large. Although none of them are quite so obviously not-serious as the examples you've given.

I'll also pimp my own shit and say Twisted Joke probably fits the bill, largely through dint of being a Christmas .WAD that involves a ski slope.

I hate being a self-promoting bastard, but my own recently released map pack kind of fits your description. It has a rather goofy storyline (which doesn't impact gameplay), but still contains pretty normal levels just the same both in terms of gameplay and visuals so its not really a jokewad. Just normal levels with some bits of humor thrown in.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/55888-my-new-project-short-maps-edit-its-finished/

I hope this doesn't count as advertising.

Thats what I aimed my noob project series to be (series of five zdoom wads I made between 2006 and 2008). Unfortunately those maps aren't too polished though, because I was pretty inexperienced at the time I made them. Also, zdoom evolves like a virus, so it would be a wonder if they still work (I know massmouth 2 for example requires special fixes.)

You should check out Community is Falling 3 (also assuming it still works), because though the story revolves around doom forum drama and in-jokes, the map design is pretty awesome. Also, I am not sure if you would count it as completely serious (maybe the later wads), but the kzdoom series is pretty cool.

Though thats all I could pull off the top of my head for zdoom that hasn't already been mentioned, one of my favorite classic style wads could be considered tongue-in-cheek: Infected Area

Check out the Great Bicycle Mystery wads. Bring a friend though, they are coop oriented. Good maps, the premise of the wad involves bicycles, if that is any indicator of the srsness of it.

No links because I am too lazy for this.

Killing Adventures and Temple of the Lizardmen (1 & 2) would probably count; too.

I don't think Yakworld can be considered an outright jokewad, but it certainly is quite silly. There's a bug where the rocket launcher explosion sound plays a voice clip in certain ports, someone else will have to elaborate.

Gez said:

Killing Adventures and Temple of the Lizardmen (1 & 2) would probably count; too.

I think killing adventures is a jokewad actually. But many say its a good one though.

Bella 2 was an experiment and I had fun creating it.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think killing adventures is a jokewad actually. But many say its a good one though.

It's not a Mockery-style jokewad where the "joke" is that it sucks. The level design isn't breathtakingly gorgeous, but it's serviceable and fun.

Action Doom and its sequel probably haven't been mentioned because they're so obvious, but they definitely fit the bill.