Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
webcider

Diablo 3 and Doom Combined Gameplay thoughts?

Basically what i am getting at is to implement a randomized system, so everytime you play Doom, even if its the same levels, the monsters will be randomized, this could be adding a new scary element because, you don't really know what to expect. On top of this i would like to see Boss Monsters with Ally Auras and improvements that makes them a target you need to focus on, That and much more is something i would like to see. What do you think is it possible? has it already been made?

There are mods like that for ZDoom compatible ports. I wouldn't be able to name any, but I'm sure a Google search for "Zdoom randomizer" should give you hits.

You could make levels with Oblige to get a complete random experience - although the "mapping" style tends to get repetitive after a few maps.

Scalliano made a great randomizer that includes tons of new enemies, weapons, and items. It's balanced so you won't get a Cyberdemon type enemy in places of an Imp and such, but some of the weaker enemies can get ya pretty easily so the 'scary' factor does come into play.

Phml said:

You could make levels with Oblige to get a complete random experience - although the "mapping" style tends to get repetitive after a few maps.

I'd rather just use a random level picker (like Doomworld's own)... There are so many wads that it's infinitesimally likely that you'll encounter one twice. It's like a random map generator with the knowledge base of thousands of humans, much better than any computer at being creative. You can't replace humans here.

Now now now, I guess a Diablo mod might still work, but for the gameplay to be correct, the randomizer needs to use completely different patterns every 4 levels or such, and have all the things that make Diablo addictive: experience, character building, evolving monster levels and so on.

PRIMEVAL said:

Scalliano made a great randomizer that includes tons of new enemies, weapons, and items. It's balanced so you won't get a Cyberdemon type enemy in places of an Imp and such, but some of the weaker enemies can get ya pretty easily so the 'scary' factor does come into play.

Thank you i will try this, what i miss in these parts is some unique monster skills, well the Chainsaw guy is pretty cool as you can clearly hear him. what would be more cool was if the chainsaw guy could teleport around if he saw you, or sometimes could get ekstra armor bonus. but when killed would give you a green armor.

there are really tons of possibilities to make doom interesting, but i am really disappointed of the Imps improvements they feel pretty weak. and also quite cheap. they are not that interesting, because you can't really recognise there attacks. for instance a imp shooting 3 fireballs instead of one could be noticed right away. these imps that shoots homing missiles are also nice, but those with ekstra health and ekstra damage are pretty boring. imo. also the new monsters should make some sounds that makes them noticeable. or there could be some hints that a buffed monster is around. effects to the music in a certain area, changing the air. maybe living footprints from where the monster has been going, or like giving the marine face a more frenzy look as he feels the present of a powerful being. i think this could be quite interesting. i am not really suggesting to add a full on diablo mod. however that could be cool. but i think it would be pretty fun to have monsters give different challenges. "monsters who walk faster", monsters having different weapons. and so on. but i appreciate the comments its cool someone has been thinking that randomness in doom is not that bad a idea.

Phml said:

There are mods like that for ZDoom compatible ports. I wouldn't be able to name any, but I'm sure a Google search for "Zdoom randomizer" should give you hits.

Wasn't there a local project going on that was doing just that. I believe some of the members here actually scoffed at it.

I believe LWM did something like this over at the ZDoom forums. I know her Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion mod uses randomisation to select a set of missions from a much larger pool, but I think she did do something a lot more dungeon crawl-esque as well. Possibly Bittersweet? I've not played much of her work, so I'd not know.