Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

LimeWire Being Sued for $75 TRILLION!

Technician said:

Wow, I'm shocked they're not suing a mother who downloaded a GaGa album for seventy-five trillion.

I'd say the result from the per-work calculation is still utterly absurd. Best argument for copyright reform seen in a long time.

What I also find ironic is the artists who made the music won't ever see a penny of this cash grab that the music industry will pull in. It's so asinine it's terrible.

TimeOfDeath said:

lolwut

You'd be surprised.

Fun fact -
trillion in EU means 1000000000000000000
trillion in US meansĀ 1000000000000

j4rio said:

Fun fact -
trillion in EU means 1000000000000000000
trillion in US meansĀ 1000000000000

That's absolutely stupid. Why the difference?

Also
billion in US is called "milliard" in EU
trillion in US is the same billion in EU
and apparently quintillion is the term used in US which matches trillion in EU

I have a hazy recollection that I read somewhere there was a spaceship crash caused by these differences. I could be wrong.

How ironic that a legal system that recognizes "absurd result" can look at a charge of $150,000 for a $0.99 song and not see the absurdity.

At least metric vs. imperial is excusable, they're clearly marked as being different and can be easily converted between one another. The same name for different numbers though? That's just absurd. Why don't they call for immediate action by the math community to decide what exactly a "billion" is anyway? This sounds like it could cause definite problems.

LĆ¼t said:

How ironic that a legal system that recognizes "absurd result" can look at a charge of $150,000 for a $0.99 song and not see the absurdity.

You have to keep in mind that multiple people download it and not just one, so charging more than $0.99 is an understandable clause. That said, it's still an absurdly high amount to be asking.

Sodaholic said:

You have to keep in mind that multiple people download it and not just one, so charging more than $0.99 is an understandable clause. That said, it's still an absurdly high amount to be asking.

My God, a reasonable statement. TBH, the music industry can kiss my ass after pulling that "We're gonna sue them for more than the world" stunt.

fraggle said:

Nope.

million = 6 zeros
millard = 9 zeros
billion = 12 zeros
billard = 15 zeros
trillion = 18 zeros
trilliard = 21 zeors
kvadrillion = 24 zeros
kvadrilliard = 27 zeros

that's how it was around here at least, unless there were some official changes

PRIMEVAL said:

Wait a minute, LimeWire is still around?

No, they closed last October when the Megaupload shit hit the fan.

Technician said:

No, they closed last October when the Megaupload shit hit the fan.

They were around even then? Thought they died off like 5 or so years ago.

Who necro'd this threa---Wait... didn't this already happen once, like a year ago?

Hm, if not, amazing deja vue. Regardless, copyright infringement penalties are a bit silly at 150 grand per infringement.

Sodaholic said:

The number of downloads that were tracked would come in at $150,000 a piece if they were awarded seventy-five trillion. There is no way in hell songs were downloaded seventy-five trillion times. The music industry is literally asking for $149,999,99 compensation per song. They are fucking out of their minds! It's not spreading fear to copyright infringers - it's showing blatant insanity at parody levels.

Sodaholic said:
Why don't they call for immediate action by the math community to decide what exactly a "billion" is anyway?

They already did and that's why the metric system exists.

myk said:

They already did and that's why the metric system exists.

This Long-short stuff has already been resolved. Short is king in the US and UK and in the scientific world.

Same thing with long tons (1015kg) short tons (900kg) and tonnes (1000kg) arghghghghghg

Csonicgo said:
the scientific world.

You mean "to publish in English (language) science journals". It's just that the US and the UK control a good part of the scientific circuit and thus attract a large number of publications. Scientists can and do use scientific notation or Greek-derived terms (such as 1012 and tera) and complement these with their local language methods and then translate when and if necessary. Otherwise, a scientific text would just become more cryptic in the local language. I don't know about other languages, but in Spanish you've got yet another difference; the comma and dot in thousands and fractions are the other way around. That is, 1,000,000.666 in English is 1.000.000,666 in Spanish.

myk said:

You mean "to publish in English (language) science journals".

Exactly, but not your reasoning. The real reasons are because the language is unregulated.

French scientists I met have told me this, time and time again. English is the freest language ever made at this point. And quite a coincidence that it's still popular, so it works out double.

With English, you can coin new words and phrases without a committee saying if your words are "pure" or not- as Adademie Francaise has done in the past.

English isn't tied to a nation, identity, or culture any more. Thank the gods.

Man the RIAA are ruthless. I think they care too much about this entertainment shit. It's just stupid music.

printz said:

Man the RIAA are ruthless. I think they care too much about this entertainment shit. It's just stupid music.

Independent labels are killing them. Softly but it is working.

j4rio said:

I have a hazy recollection that I read somewhere there was a spaceship crash caused by these differences. I could be wrong.

I believe there was something like this, but it was down the metric vs. imperial rather than how many 0s are in a billion. Likewise, I could bewrong. I definitely remember a story like one of ours though...

God I fucking hate the music industry, so money hungry. Every single faggot who is high up in the music industry is already incredibly rich. I'm glad people pirate tonnes of music.

Csonicgo said:
The real reasons are because the language is unregulated.

It's really more because of British fleets and colonies, earlier, and then US nukes and Wall Street. The "unregulated" (not entirely) language, like other aspects of English culture, does fit in with the economic developments of the era, but it's a feedback system. Such (linguistic and social) systems are useful but also a result of the circumstances, which have geopolitic factors on top. The development of history and language end up with a chicken/egg dialectic.

Did you really have to dumb down the spread of the English language to the same principle used by orthodox economists to sell their ideas?

With English, you can coin new words and phrases without a committee saying if your words are "pure" or not- as Adademie Francaise has done in the past.

So we are to believe that scientists around the non-English world are all using English terms for their scientific ideas to avoid the wrath of language academies? Amusing!

English isn't tied to a nation, identity, or culture any more.

That's wrong, as it's deeply tied to certain ethnicities, histories and institutions, but to put it in practical terms for the case in question, when you use the language of another nation or region for a specialty, fully or partially, it tends to serve the land of that language more than your people. It's simple, you interact more with that foreign land than with people who can't really understand what you say or write. This is why science is practiced in local languages in any place that seeks local development, and translations are then done during and for interaction with international circles, in any corresponding languages.

It's weird that the piracy debate always refers to the "music industry" when it's in fact many industries. The RIAA represents 85% of the record labels in the USA, which leaves 15% not represented by RIAA. Since RIAA sues limewire, 85% of the american music industries are assholes :)