Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necromancer-AMV

Satanic Redux v10.8 Released! 5/31/12

So. I've been developing this for a while over at the ZDoom forums, and I figure posting it somewhere else means more exposure, more feedback, more making the mod better.

Just What Is Satanic Redux?
Its a GZDoom-required mod of M@@@H!aK & Guest's "Satanic" weapons/gameplay modification, released originally in '09. For those who never played the original, Satanic is a challenging and stylistically very different mod that puts you in the role of a necromancer, able to decimate his enemies with weapons and dark magic. In a twist, all your magic attacks can devour life if you've not got the Mana to cast them.

What Did I Do?
First I started out adding dynamic lights & shadows. Then I got rather dissatisfied with the fact that the mod used different hands for each weapon, and thus rehanded the offenders to use Hexen mage hands for better visual consistency. Then I revamped reloads, added altfires, changed the radsuit and lite-amp goggles into abilities that are always with you, balanced the Leech and Vengeful so that they aren't too cheap for normal play, etc etc.

NOTE:
You will ned a recent subversion (SVN) of GZDoom to run Satanic Redux, as it uses some features added since the last official version. As of 5/31/12, the newest SVN is r1398, and that will be sufficient to run Satanic Redux. Go here to download it.

Screenshot Gallery

Watch SancutaryCrew play Satanic Redux @ twitch.tv

Download Satanic Redux - Version 10.8

Version 10.1 is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.1 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-Zombie attacks are now projectile-based rather than hitscan-based.
-Chaingunners spawn the proper number of casings when firing their gun.
-Chaingunners can now be properly turned by the Mind Control Gauntlets altfire.

Version 10.2 is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.2 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-Charged shotgun attack states use A_ClearRefire to prevent a standard shot being fired immediately after charged fire.
-Spider Masterminds will now always spawn.
-Damage reduction for difficulties 1-3.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-Fixed charged shotgun firing animation.
-Spawn height of hanged imps/zombies/marine decorations fixed.

So is anyone willing to give some more feedback on this? I think I've tweaked most of the things people had concerns with, and the list of things I have left to do is pretty small and mostly aesthetic things; better charge effect for the Defiler, re-handing the Vengeful, some gameplay fixes like slower projectiles on difficulties 1 & 2, and performance-related stuff.

ddknight said:

I have a problem: how can I activate the book of shadow and F.E.A.R?

At the bottom of the Controls menu, there's a new section for Satanic Redux keys. Reload, Tertiary Attack, FEAR, and Raise Shields keybinds are there. If you want to use the Book of Shadows to spawn a Shadow, just select the book icon in inventory ant hit "Use Inventory". it will then dissappear and be replaced by a gem, which will teleport the Shadow to your position when it is used.

Necromancer-AMV said:

At the bottom of the Controls menu, there's a new section for Satanic Redux keys. Reload, Tertiary Attack, FEAR, and Raise Shields keybinds are there. If you want to use the Book of Shadows to spawn a Shadow, just select the book icon in inventory ant hit "Use Inventory". it will then dissappear and be replaced by a gem, which will teleport the Shadow to your position when it is used.

Thank you :) Now I get it.
This mod turned DOOM into a totally different game, epic!

Version 10.3 is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.3 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-The Maledictory Eagle's scope can be immediately exited following a shot.
-A pain state for the Imp Warlord was misnamed, causing it to be capable of guarding against Leech attacks when it shouldn't have.
-One type of DarkImp has been removed, as it was fairly redundant; it was identical in look to the other type, but just fired homing shots. That ability has been added to the remaining Dark Imp.
-My discovery of actor pointers has allowed me to make the secret weapon spawner that replaces the Megasphere a little "smarter"; now, it won't spawn any secret weapon you've already obtained. If you have a Book of Shadows it will spawn either a Leech or a Vengeful, etc etc. This is also the case with the actor that replaces the rocket ammo and spawns Hellfire Canisters; it has a chance of also spawning Vengeful ammo if you have acquired that weapon.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-New techlamp & column decorations.
-Various ammo types now have +COUNTITEM, so that you don't always have a 0% score for items found at the intermission.
-Learned a bit more on how to make SBARINFO lumps, and the inventory bar will now appear farther up the screen and no longer hidden by the weapon tag & soul ammo readout.

Performance Changes/Fixes:
-Blood, gibs and casings employ FadeOut and remove themselves 30 secs after spawning. Should help performance on larger maps.

Version 10.4 is now out! I put this out so soon mainly to correct a big glitch that could cause the game to freeze (see below). Check the first post for the download.

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-Critical bug fixed with the secret weapon spawner: if you had all 3 secret weapons, the game would freeze upon entering a new map. This has been fixed.
-Secret weapon spawner now spawns a medium soul ammo instead of a large soul ammo.
-Fixed oversight in charged shotgun altfire code: it was taking 5 ammo instead of 4.
-WolfensteinSS hitscan attack changed to projectile.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-1 slot added to inventory bar so that all five abilities/artifacts will show up w/o having to scroll left or right.
-Trails added to enemy bullets.

I tried playing this with gzDoom 1.5.6, and I get this error when I try starting it: Script error, "satanicredux-v104.pk3:weapons/satanic_ammo.txt" line 175:
Expected ')', got ','.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I tried playing this with gzDoom 1.5.6, and I get this error when I try starting it: Script error, "satanicredux-v104.pk3:weapons/satanic_ammo.txt" line 175:
Expected ')', got ','.

I don't have the code in front of me, but off the top of my head, sounds like an outdated ver. of GZDoom.

Version 10.5 of Satanic Redux is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.5 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-The headshot system has now been implemented. Headshots deal more damage to the following monsters:
-Zombies (all types)
-Imps (save the Imp Warlord, as its wearing a helmet)
-Mancubus
-Baron of Hell
-Revenant
-Arch-Vile

Other monsters take normal damage from a headshot. Note that killing a zombie with a headshot will not result in a Deadman Head being dropped.
-Slight HP buff for enemies, to encourage the player to do headshots.
-The Mana Ritual skills of the Blood Magic (both the primary fire single-target and tertiary fire multi-target kind) no longer consume corpses when your Mana is maxed out.
-The Blur Sphere is now an ability: Necroshroud! As with Necrovision and Necrobarrier, this ability is always with you. Expend fifty Mana to create a cloak of invisibility around yourself that confuses most enemies and keeps them from attacking. It lasts thirty seconds or until you manually deactivate it. While Necroshroud is active, your weapon will be switched out for the Shroud Magic. Pressing primary fire will deactivate Necroshroud, and also cause an explosion that damages enemies around you. Manually deactivating the powerup through the inventory bar or letting it run out of time will not cause the explosion. Note that Necroshroud and Necrobarrier are mutually exclusive; activating one will deactivate the other. Also, Spectres, Death Whispers, Agathodemons (while cloaked), Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds can still see you while Necroshroud is active.
-Previously, when a Shadow was killed, the Shadow Sigil in your inventory was not properly removed. This has been fixed.
-The Leech Sword and Dark Chaos Magic, which did nothing if you tried picking up another instance of them after already acquiring the weapon, will now spawn a Mana orb instead.
-Previously, if the player had summoned a Shadow with the Book of Shadows, they could erroneously pick up another Book of Shadows while the Shadow Sigil was in inventory. This has been fixed.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-Blue and Yellow Keycards/Skulls have been replaces with Black and White Keycards/Skulls, respectively. Should make it easier to tell the cards apart before pickup, and easier to see where they go (since applicable door/object graphics and door/object colors in the automap are changed too). Note that black key doors/objects will be impossible to see if you use vanilla Doom (black background) automap settings.
-Easier-to-read keybar added.
-The weapon tag and mid-screen soul ammo readout are now handled in SBARINFO reather than with ACS, so that they don't obscure the level name in the automap.
-Techlamps and column lights are now +SYNCHRONIZED, so they don't glow brighter at random times and look odd when grouped together.
-Inventory tag for currently selected artifact or ability appears above the inventory bar when its open, and shows Mana cost if an ability is selected.
-Time remaining for any active artifacts or abilities shown in the top right of the screen.

Version 10.666 of Satanic Redux is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.666 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-Two new difficulties exist: Necrorunner: Easy, and NecroRunner: Hard. These are skills designed to pick up the pace of Satanic's gameplay, while still maintaining Satanic's core mechanics for the other skill levels.

The following changes will occur when playing on either NecroRunner skill:
-Hearts, normal and large, may sometimes appear in place of Mana. These replenish ten and 25 points of life, respectively, and are your only means of health increase on either of the NecroRunner skills, save the Leech. Also, Demons and their variants also have a small chance of dropping hearts, while Barons of Hell and Afrits have a small chance of dropping large hearts.
-The Kindred Genesis, Book of Shadows, Posession Gauntlet, Blood Magic, and Hellfire Device are unavailable.
-The Leech spawns where a Chainsaw would in vanilla Doom, and works slightly differently; any attack will drain mana (primary fire) or health (secondary fire).
-The Vengeful spawns where a Rocket Launcher would in vanilla Doom.
-Weapon order rearranged. The Leech takes slot 1, Maledictory Eagle slot 2, Defiler slot 3, Vengeful slot 4, Staff of Suffering slot 5, and Dark Chaos Magic slot 6.

-Weapons (save for the Deadman Head) now have +AUTOSWITCH set.
-The Defiler now gives primary ammo instead of secondary ammo, so you don't have to reload it after picking it up before it can be fired, and when the clip is empty and there is at least 1 unit of ammo remaining, pressing the fire button will reload one shell.
-Firing and melee is now more responsive while shells are stocked (the altfire charge attack) in the Defiler.
-The Demolisher boss monster (randomly spawns in place of a Mastermind) is back in.
-The tertiary melee attack of the defiler can now not be immediately done again after doing it once. There's now about a four second delay before you can do it again.
-The Clock of Doom now has +ADDITIVETIME, so accidentally activating it while its already active will freeze time longer, rather than have no effect at all.
-The Vengeful has some gameplay changes to accompany its change in sprites; the Vengeful has a higher ammo capacity and its shells are a little more plentiful, but it holds four shells at a time. Primary fire launches two shells. Secondary fire fires four shells and expends a little Mana to create the highly explosive projectile previously seen in this weapon.
-Due to an oversight in the Staff of Suffering's code, you could not resurrect a corpse when your Mana was full. This has been fixed.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-Vengeful weapon sprites replaced.
-Better-looking sky for Episode 4.
-Various texture edits.
-Lost Souls and Afrits now have dynamic lights handled in their decorate definition; you'll have less warning when one is around as their lights don't show until they're alerted.
-Dark Chaos HUD graphics changed from the red glow that other weapons use with this hand, to black.
-SBARINFO now checks to see if you're currently posessing a monster, and if so, will not show HUD elements that are redundant during posession, such as powerup, ammo and weapon tag indicators. Health and armor of the player will still appear in the bottom left while posessed.
-Icons for abilities/artifacts in the top right of the HUD will be translucent when the respective power is inactive.
-Active powerup message log is now handled in SBARINFO, replacing the messy ACS method.

Performance Changes/Fixes:
-Smoke and other effect-spawning actors now utilize A_CheckSight; they won't spawn the effect when you aren't in a position to see it.

Satanic Redux will be downloadable from DRDTeam from now on; I'm tired of refreshing the Mediafire download page umpteen times because while they can be buggered to force you to register to upload, they can't be buggered to make downloading reliable.

I get this error

"Script error, "satanicredux-v10666.pk3:weapons/satanic_staffofsuffering.txt" line 107:
Expected ')', got ','."

When trying to load with gzdoom

Brewtal_Legend said:

I get this error

"Script error, "satanicredux-v10666.pk3:weapons/satanic_staffofsuffering.txt" line 107:
Expected ')', got ','."

When trying to load with gzdoom

Download a more recent subversion of GZDoom. Link is in the first post.

Version 10.7 of Satanic Redux is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.7 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-Previously, pressing the tertiary fire button while posessing a monster would end the posession. This has been fixed.
-Previously, getting killed while the Eagle's scope was active crashed GZDoom, thanks to a 0-tic Deselect state. This has FINALLY been fixed.

10.8 is probably going to be the last version, barring unforseen things; most every bug that I can fix has been fixed, and I'm pretty much out of ideas. One of the things I may do for 10.8 is customized crosshairs for each weapon, thanks to a sweet pack of crosshairs I found. But I'd like to get people's opinions on it first; I've never really seen discussion about custom crosshairs or crosshairs period for that matter, and thus I don't really have a feel for what people think of 'em. If I do implement it, and you happen to be someone who doesn't like the idea, don't worry; I've already got some code worked up so that you'll be able to toggle these per-weapon crosshairs on and off, thus allowing you to have any crosshair (or no crosshair at all) selected, and each weapon will not override your choice. And of course setting crosshairforce to 1 in the console will work as well.

Version 10.8 of Satanic Redux is now out! Check the first post for the download.

V10.8 Changelog:

Gameplay Changes/Fixes:
-The Tainted Cross, a weapon found in place of the Chaingun, can now be found exclusively on Necrorunner difficulties. Its primary fire consumes Mana and rapidfires hitscan spirits, its secondary uses tainted mana cubes as ammo and launches a projectile that will burst on impact and split up into several spirits that will attack enemies and restore your health. The secondary attack can be done without enough ammo, but it will consume forty Mana instead. Mana
cubes are dropped by stronger demons; Revenants and Mancubi have a low chance of dropping them, Archviles and Flesh Wizards have a higher chance of dropping them, and Cyberdemons, Dark Cardinals, Spider Masterminds and Spider Demolishers will always drop them.
-The Kindred Genesis' primary fire ability no longer executes if your health is already at 200, preventing you from wasting Mana.
-The Kindred Genesis now has a secondary fire ability. Press and hold the secondary fire button to rapidly restore health. Mana usage is less efficient in this mode, however.
-Killing monsters with headshots (former humans, imps, barons and archviles) will restore a bit of your life.
-The ability to exit the Maledictory Eagle's scope immediately following a shot has been added back in.
-The secondary fire of the Posession Gauntlets no longer takes Mana regardless of whether or not you hit an enemy with it; it will only subtract ammo if you successfully turned an enemy.
-Picking up a Deadman Head now only gives you one head ammo, regardless of skill. This should have been how it worked previously, but I forgot that a weapon that gives ammo will not respect that ammo's +INGORESKILL flag if set, and thus the weapon needs that flag as well.
-Dark Cardinals no longer have fire immunity, but fire resistance like Cyberdemons.

Cosmetic Changes/Fixes:
-The new blood now works when you shoot an enemy with the Defiler. I can't take credit for fixing this; I haven't touched the applicable code. Something in one of the more recent SVNs must have unborked this.
-New throwing animations for the Deadman Head weapon to accompany a streamlining of the weapon's code. Previously it relied on a lot of redundant inventory hacks; now it just uses A_Refire.
-Scope graphics now have BRIGHT applied; should make it easier to tell how long till you can take another shot when standing in very low light sectors.
-Changed Shadow summoning sequence.
-Lighter weapons such as the magic spells now have different bob animations.
-Each weapon now has its own custom crosshair. This feature can be toggled on and off in game by setting a key to the "Toggle Per-Weapon Crosshairs" function in the "Satanic Redux: Function Keys" section of the Customize Controls menu, or by opening the console and typing "crosshairforce 1", without quotes.

Looks great.

Hey, whatever happened to your Doom Mutation mod? The download link in the thread leads to a missing file.