Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Midi editors

Hi, not sure if I've asked this before actually, but are there any good midi programs which let me edit the instruments used in a midi track and then save it, STILL IN MIDI FORMAT, without having to actually buy a license?

I've downloaded a Backstreet Boys midi called "The Call", which I think has a heavy feel to it and is a decent piece of music, with the express intention of turning a 90s boyband track into something that might fit Doom.

I appreciate any advice on this insane endeavour.

TimeOfDeath said:

Good luck opening the midi without effing up the tempo and timing.

Which is actually very easy to do as long as you don't mess with the Tempo settings.

Any music making program that works with MIDI can do it such as Cubase or Cakewalk, however those are not free. Anvil Studio is a free program though that you might be able to use.

TimeOfDeath said:

How do you do it? I've never had a good experience importing midi files into powertab or guitarpro.

I don't know about those programs, but Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, the program I use, is very easy to work with. Doesn't do anything to the MIDI files when you import them (it's mostly a MIDI program anyway).

Seconding thirding Anvil Studio. It's a bit lackluster, but gets the job done for the most part. It should be able to do what you're wanting to do here.

PRIMEVAL said:

I don't know about those programs, but Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, the program I use, is very easy to work with. Doesn't do anything to the MIDI files when you import them (it's mostly a MIDI program anyway).

Huh, thought I was the only one who used that.

It does screw with files when you open them though - sharped/flatted pitches often get replaced with enharmonic equivalents.

That's why I'm looking for a new program, so keep the recommendations coming.

Checking out Anvil Studio for now...

MajorRawne said:

I've downloaded a Backstreet Boys midi

You should leave.

And bitches don't love backstreet boys?

Thanks for all the replies. Heh, the BB track (my friend used to call them the Backpassage Boys) was an experiment to see if a pop song with a good melody can be amended to fit a Doom map. The intro does sound properly awesome. ;)

Lüt said:

Huh, thought I was the only one who used that.

It does screw with files when you open them though - sharped/flatted pitches often get replaced with enharmonic equivalents.

That's why I'm looking for a new program, so keep the recommendations coming.

Checking out Anvil Studio for now...

It messes them up for you? Never had that problem...how odd.

They sound the same, and they'll look the same if you open the piano roll editor, but the staff notation gets reset. The listener won't notice an A# being rewritten as a Bb, but anybody composing or analyzing certainly knows a Bb doesn't belong in B major, especially when it's supposed to be part of an authentic cadence.

Lüt said:

They sound the same, and they'll look the same if you open the piano roll editor, but the staff notation gets reset. The listener won't notice an A# being rewritten as a Bb, but anybody composing or analyzing certainly knows a Bb doesn't belong in B major, especially when it's supposed to be part of an authentic cadence.

Oh, within the Staff Sheet...I have no idea what the hell I'm reading with staff sheets so I wouldn't really have noticed X) I only know a little bit but hardly enough to read it.

I just use the default view. I forget what it's called at the moment, but basically just shows the MIDI and Audio tracks you have (MIDI in yellow, Audio in blue).