Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Do you like Free 2 Play?

Planetside 2 is shaping up to be pretty damned impressive.

What about you guys? Do you enjoy F2P (as long as it isn't "pay to win")? Personally, I like getting a core game for free, and let the suckers pay for my experience by buying "exclusive" pink stripey hats and whathaveyou.

Can I fly planes and stuff in this game? The lighting looks really cool. I don't know much about it though

I'm a fan, F2P games let a college kid like me play a bunch of games that I might invest in at a later date. For me, the current F2P games of choice are League of Legends (rarely) and Tribes: Ascend. Really looking forward to Planetside 2, all I hear about the first one is gushing nostalgia and good things, so it should shape up to be an interesting game.

Oh man that looks really good.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this (and signing up for the beta.)

I'll probably check it out. Sony actually has been having a pretty good track record with their MMOs as of late.

I like Quake Live and I hear insanely good feedbacks about Tribes Ascend. Played Battlefield Play 4 Free too but it was like playing Star Wars Battlefront on a PSP.

Battlefield P4F isn't bad. The matchmaking kind of sucks, so you're always playing against people with much better gear than you.

Actually, with no special gear I've found it a walk in the park. Perhaps is it because I played BFP4F only when it was on beta.

If they're actually balanced games where people who pay don't get any real advantages over other players, sure. The only one I play with any regularity is TF2, though, and I was playing that for a long time before it went F2P.

Dragonsbrethren said:

If they're actually balanced games where people who pay don't get any real advantages over other players, sure. The only one I play with any regularity is TF2, though, and I was playing that for a long time before it went F2P.

I haven't read up about how they're going about balancing Planetside 2, but I've played a lot of DC Universe Online (both Sony Online Entertainment games) and for the most part how it works is that you either pay with money or you pay with your time. In DCUO there's a money cap for free/premium users, and that's really about the only impediment over subscribers, and it's really only a hindrance once you get to level 30 (the max level) and start collecting endgame gear that is both expensive, and costs a lot to repair. You also get more item space/bank space/auction space, but I don't find any of the limits on those to be unreasonable for the free/premium accounts.

There are a handful of other perks that subscribers get, but they're generally fairly superficial.

If all goes well, that's about how it will work with Planetside 2.