Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

A Little Heretic Level

It's been a while since I've actually made a thread about one of my own maps, so I figured I should make one before people start thinking I'm just "that guy" that sits there and doesn't contribute anything.

Anyway, here's something I've been working on for Heretic. Even though I'm trying to maintain an IWAD-ish level of detail, some stuff is pretty barren and empty right now since it's just a rough draft of a layout, and some of the texturing is a bit wacky as well.

Thoughts?

I like the docks. The rock detail in most of the shots is fine, and the mixing of the gray and brown is a good idea. The exception is the second shot, where not only would some extra brown rock detail look good, but I would suggest FLAT509 rather than FLOOR04 for the floor texture because FLOOR04's grid-like design implies intentionally carved stones and therefore suits buildings and structures more than natural formations. It works fine in the 6th shot on top of the GRSTNPB steps, though I find FLOOR00 to be better for non-orthogonal structures. For the large outdoor areas though, if you really like FLOOR04 and want to compromise as well as add some detail, you could have paths of FLOOR04 stretching across the large FLAT509 areas, connecting the various structures like sidewalks.

Lüt said:

I like the docks. The rock detail in most of the shots is fine, and the mixing of the gray and brown is a good idea. The exception is the second shot, where not only would some extra brown rock detail look good, but I would suggest FLAT509 rather than FLOOR04 for the floor texture because FLOOR04's grid-like design implies intentionally carved stones and therefore suits buildings and structures more than natural formations. It works fine in the 6th shot on top of the GRSTNPB steps, though I find FLOOR00 to be better for non-orthogonal structures. For the large outdoor areas though, if you really like FLOOR04 and want to compromise as well as add some detail, you could have paths of FLOOR04 stretching across the large FLAT509 areas, connecting the various structures like sidewalks.

Thanks for the feedback! The texturing has been changed on the curving stairs, and I am planning on adding some more rock detail in the outdoor "port" area later when I get a better idea of what the layout will be.

Another thing, I agree with you on the ground texturing in the outdoor area, however there was a bit of logic in me choosing that texture. One problem I've noticed with things like FLAT509 is that while it looks more natural, it also tiles really badly, and it seems to be the only texture that would fit the intended color scheme, so (in my opinion anyway) FLAT04 is more aesthetically pleasing even though it actually makes very little sense. Once again that's just my opinion, so if the majority of people think something like FLAT509 would be the better choice, I'll change it.

Fair point. I'll admit the color matches better too. One way you could break up the FLAT509 tiling, however, is to break up the ground into rougher chunks of varying height and then add some brown rock/dirt detail like you've already done on the walls. Or you could try a custom texture, but I think the main issue is something that's supposed to look natural being so perfectly flat that it ends up looking the opposite.