Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Dark Souls won’t be optimised for PC: “Strictly a port from the console version”

Sodaholic said:

PC gaming is the elite master race, nothing else can compare. Softcore console players that demand handholding and think that anything with a big publisher's logo on it is the best thing since bread, and think a game is badly designed when it requires them to think or otherwise act on their own without onscreen instructions, should all be forgotten by the game industry. The publishers that peddle this crap for a stupid majority should be shut down, they're shitting on the art of fine gaming in the name of profit. Only the PC gamers should be able to enjoy well made games, and not be forced to swim in a sea of mediocre triple-A garbage.

Sodaholic said:

PC gaming is the elite master race, nothing else can compare. Softcore console players that demand handholding and think that anything with a big publisher's logo on it is the best thing since bread, and think a game is badly designed when it requires them to think or otherwise act on their own without onscreen instructions, should all be forgotten by the game industry. The publishers that peddle this crap for a stupid majority should be shut down, they're shitting on the art of fine gaming in the name of profit. Only the PC gamers should be able to enjoy well made games, and not be forced to swim in a sea of mediocre triple-A garbage.

Honestly, you are the only person that could post this and cause me to wonder whether or not it's serious. So, uh... I guess I'll give you credit for making the most absurd post ever.

let's edit out soda's haphazard introductory and conclusive sentences and resubmit his post for for EE's (dis)approval:

Sodaholic said:

Softcore console players that demand handholding and think that anything with a big publisher's logo on it is the best thing since (sliced, lol) bread, and think a game is badly designed when it requires them to think or otherwise act on their own without onscreen instructions, should all be forgotten by the game industry. The publishers that peddle this crap for a stupid majority should be shut down, they're shitting on the art of fine gaming in the name of profit.

fine gaming? it has a nice ring to it.

Great game, I have it on PS3 but would be even cooler on PC though mainly due to the consoles hardware limitations but also the gameplay mechanics on PC would suit the pinpoint accuracy controls required in some sections on the game.

Cyanosis said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/07/dark-souls-will-not-be-optimised-for-pc-%E2%80%9Cstrictly-a-port-from-the-console-version%E2%80%9D/

What a joke.

It had no business being on consoles and they shoddily port it to the PC. But better yet, they'll blame bad sales on the "death" of PC gaming, when in reality we just have lower tolerance for shit. At least they're being honest in telling us to go fuck ourselves and don't bother with the game, they don't want our money.

Avoiding this company and future releases.

Wait what? Where are you getting this from? Nowhere in the article do they say anything that can be even remotely equated to saying "fuck you". Hell, they even flat out admit that it's their fault in the article and that they have very little experience with PC porting.

This sounds more like an apology in advanced for not being able to port it as well as they had hoped they'd be able to. Seems they're even throwing in a few bosses and new weapons to go along with it as well.

Craigs said:

Hell, they even flat out admit that it's their fault in the article and that they have very little experience with PC porting.

Which doesn't make it ok. Delay the release and learn more about PC porting instead of releasing a broken product, guys.

Darkman 4 said:

Yeah man those contards absolutely hated it. It's not like 1.19 million copies of the game were sold before March 2012 or anything. Nope, only TRUE PC GAMERS can appreciate it.

Most funny part is that I know some "OMG hardcore PC gamer I am one of the select fews who still play oldskool FPS!!!" who bought the game and sent it back a week later because "this game is way too hard to be enjoyed, it's shit".

@DoomUK: again, they can't. Namco want it NOW because it's not worth the money.

Cyanosis said:

If there's some elite console player that can have fun with it then that's great, but that crowd is small and there's always going to be a bigger audience on PC for it. So if you want this game to last for more than a year, give it the proper release it deserves so it can have a home. This isn't rocket science people.

Again this simply has no basis in reality. I'll also mention that Demon's Souls was released only on PS3 in 2009, and the servers are still running, despite three or four 'shutdown' notices, just due to popularity. I can get on right now and play with someone. So keep talking dude.

Craigs said:

Wait what? Where are you getting this from? Nowhere in the article do they say anything that can be even remotely equated to saying "fuck you". Hell, they even flat out admit that it's their fault in the article and that they have very little experience with PC porting.

This sounds more like an apology in advanced for not being able to port it as well as they had hoped they'd be able to. Seems they're even throwing in a few bosses and new weapons to go along with it as well.

Hey guys, just want to let you know that my new game I'm releasing might CRASH a lot, there are some pretty bad lag problems in some spots and it's full of glitches too.

To make up for it, have some exclusive swords and shit. We cool now?

Snakes said:

Honestly, you are the only person that could post this and cause me to wonder whether or not it's serious. So, uh... I guess I'll give you credit for making the most absurd post ever.

For the record, it was supposed to be a joke. I actually don't care how much consoles make everything mediocre by many PC gamers standards, as long as the console players enjoy it. All one needs to do is ignore games and business practices they don't like, simple as that. PC gaming is still going very strong, even if publishers don't pay as much attention to it anymore.

Sodaholic said:

All one needs to do is ignore games and business practices they don't like, simple as that.

Even not voting still counts as a vote, it just doesn't register as being on either side (for it or against it) and gets thrown out. Way to make change then.

Just to justify the concept, not the actual bullshit that is the political system.

Cyanosis said:

Even not voting still counts as a vote, it just doesn't register as being on either side (for it or against it) and gets thrown out. Way to make change then.

Just to justify the concept, not the actual bullshit that is the political system.

My point was that we shouldn't worry about all the crap that comes out these days, we still have great PC games coming out. We have Deus Ex 3, that was good. Fine, it had DLC, but at least the gameplay was actually like the original (if not more complex than it, due to all the side missions), and not like the infamously 'consolized' Deus Ex 2.

Besides, I feel that it's often exaggerated here how bad console games are. A lot of console games are a bit more complex than many Doomworlders give them credit for, it's only the really bad ones that stand out to us. Those are generally the exception, not the rule.

I'm annoyed at the PC port because the DLC prepare to die will be released on the consoles after the PC version, which includes the DLC, comes out. Its just a cheap tactic to try and get people to buy the game twice rather than wait and just pay for the DLC on the console. The current customer base should be taken care of for new content before new customers. The PC launch should have been the second priority. Dance with the girl you brought to the dance, as it were.

But would you have any DLC at all if it weren't for the PC port?

And does "not optimized for the PC" mean anything more than just "You'll probably want to play this game with a controller."? Because if that's all it turns out to be, I don't think it's that big a deal. If they were actively using all three cores on the 360, then there might be problems for dual core PCs, I suppose. Other than that, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't perform at least on par with the console versions.

Cyanosis said:

They're two totally different concepts. Companies measure success on financials, which are directly affected by revenues and, more specifically, profits and losses. Not buying a game affects their bottom line.

Voting is free and candidates, at least in the US, still get elected even if only a handful of people show up.

Moriarti said:

But would you have any DLC at all if it weren't for the PC port?

And does "not optimized for the PC" mean anything more than just "You'll probably want to play this game with a controller."? Because if that's all it turns out to be, I don't think it's that big a deal. If they were actively using all three cores on the 360, then there might be problems for dual core PCs, I suppose. Other than that, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't perform at least on par with the console versions.

The main grief is the framerate (30 fps). I can understand it's annoying to those who want to play it in the best conditions.

Mr. T said:

I'm sure a PC can handle anything that will run on an Xbox or PS3. lol

Saints Row 2 [/thread]

Saints Row 2 is a terrible game anyway, I'd rather play GTA San Andreas over it any day.

Foodles said:

I'm annoyed at the PC port because the DLC prepare to die will be released on the consoles after the PC version, which includes the DLC, comes out. Its just a cheap tactic to try and get people to buy the game twice rather than wait and just pay for the DLC on the console. The current customer base should be taken care of for new content before new customers. The PC launch should have been the second priority. Dance with the girl you brought to the dance, as it were.

The PC release IS the second priority. The only reason that version is getting the DLC first is because it came out almost a year after the console versions. They had no intentions of even making this port until people demanded it.

Violator said:

Deus Ex 3 was good? That's news to me.

Come on, man, at least it was better than Invisible War.

Not really. I'd have a hard time naming places in HR where the decisions you make really affect the storyline. No such problem in IW.

After wading through HR I've gotten over IW's simplified gameplay mechanics as well.