Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Do Doom editors for tablets exist?

I wonder if there are any Doom editors in the planning for tablets. I find the idea very appealing, because it would make map editing really portable, as well as intuitive (you get to draw linedefs with the stylus). Imagine the resulting speed. You don't have to sit home in your boring room in a lack of inspiration!

Drawing architecture with a stylus would be neat, but everything else would likely be slower; as soon as you open an edit window, make a group selection or press any of the numerous keybinds, which is really most of the time spent mapping, it's hard to see how could a tablet be able to keep up.

It'd definitely be a cool thing, if only to make mockups directly translatable into DB2 rather than using pen and paper and essentially starting over. However, I can't imagine making a full-fledged map that way.

printz said:

Imagine the resulting speed.

Very slow? Small field of view, hard-to-use hotkeys... Also, for mapping I use all three mouse buttons and also a scroll wheel. How do you fit this functionality into stylus?

printz said:

you get to draw linedefs with the stylus

But mappers don't draw linedefs, they place vertices. And I doubt that it will be easy, especially with "snap to grid" turned off.

Maybe I should shut up until I actually get a tablet first... I imagine that you could draw vertices by pointing on the screen, and group select by entering into a 'select mode' and drawing a free-form select box around the desired objects. There might be buttons on the side to change modes...

I dream of a day where Doom mapping (or at least some sort of Doom Clone) would be revived through tablets.

DuckReconMajor said:

Multi-finger gestures could be useful.

I can imagine a few multi-finger gestures I would probably be using if I had to map with a touchscreen.

Some of your replies are overly defensive. I'm just talking about the ability to edit maps anywhere you go, and being able to do it on a whim. You can still do that with a laptop, but you need to sit to use it. Sure the editing interface would probably be worse than with a keyboard and a mouse. But it would be on a portable device which is neither too small (like a phone, hard to see the map) nor too large (like a laptop). It can fit wherever you could fit a book. Even better if you have wi-fi and the tablet has DropBox: the map will be automatically synced on your PC as soon as you return home.

TL;DR: I'd just like to be able to draw the "book" from my backpack and do some Doom editing on the spot.

esselfortium said:

I can imagine a few multi-finger gestures I would probably be using if I had to map with a touchscreen.

I have a hard enough time with a standard laptop's touch/tracker pad.

DuckReconMajor said:

I thought that's what you meant, but I was confused until I realized you've got two middle fingers.

Don't forget the British multi-finger gesture.

I think this is a really awesome idea. Being able to start drawing layouts on a tablet wherever you are (on the train, on a plane, in a box, with a fox) would be really cool if only to act as a supplement for more traditional methods.

I do too, I think it would be especially awesome with an editor as user-friendly as DoomBuilder, since it already kinda does everything for you. Such as pretexturing walls and floors, aligns textures, separates intersecting lines into different sectors, builds stairs, and more.

People could simply draw out a new layout, share it with somebody, and have a quick deathmatch with them. Filesizes are ridiculously small so even with a poor wifi signal downloads would be ultra fast.

I imagine this would be better with an engine that doesn't require as much precision. Editing every insignificant linedef might be pretty tough. But I don't own a tablet so it's hard to tell.

Could be useful for mapping out general layout ideas that can later be transferred to a PC/laptop for more in-depth editing.

For just the purpose of making multiplayer maps on the fly, Oblige on a tablet would suffice.