Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Keys

This is a weird thread but I'm curious. What kinda keychains or lanyards and things do you attach to your car keys or house keys or whatever keys you carry?

I'm kinda minimalistic. I have a car key attached to a plain silver carabiner that I use to hook around the belt loops on my pants, I also have a .357 bullet round keychain, but the bullet part of it fell off so it's just a bullet casing. I used to have a shotgun shell there instead but that broke and I lost it. I was thinking about getting one of those clear plastic picture frame keychains and putting a picture of a cacodemon or a red keycard on it or something. Besides that that's all it is, a carabiner, car key and a bullet casing.

I know some people have tons of keychains that jingle around obnoxiously, but I can't seem to find anything that I feel really attached to. What do you have?

I've had all sorts of shit over the years. Wear and tear tends to regulate things reasonably well, but on occasion my collective key ring has been a bit much.

Right now I've got keys to two different houses and my desk drawer at work, so that's quite a bit of metal to start off with. The two keys for the place I'm renting are attached to the main ring by a blue one of those little plastic tag things that have space for a name or whatever (not-written on). The main ring has a (rusted) Forza 3 keyfob attached - which I got from the Forza 3 Limited Edition along with a 2GB USB stick (cheaper than the standard game when I was buying, so that worked for me!) - and a (too) large metal bottle opener. Damn thing must be about 3 inches long, and has a ~1" circle at one end to display the fact that it's from the Coca-Cola brewery in Atlanta (where my parents got it for me on their American holiday last year). As is probably implied, I've been quite tempted to ditch the bottle opener due to it's size. With just a key or two it'd probably be alright, but with 5 keys of varying size and shape, plus two average-sized fobs it's just a bit much. Unfortunately I find bottle openers quite handy when I'm out and about, even though this one doesn't quite work first-time.

I have a plain carabiner with my front door key on it nothing else but then again I don't have much things that need a key. (before you ask I'm only 14 I don't have a car yet)

My main keychain has an 45 mm auto bullet casing on it + 2 keys (house key + mailbox) that I always keep on me. As for car keys I always have those separate since that has one of those auto-start remotes on it and I don't want that crap in my pocket all the time.

My keys are boring. It's a single metal ring with two keys I need to get in and out of my house, and a remote to arm/disarm the alarm system and open the remote garage door. I have a separate set of keys for the car I use which are just as boring. :P

Whatever promotional thingy I get for free buying something else or attending conventions at work.

I have black lanyard with a tiny figure of a shogun from Etrian Odyssey 3 hanging from it. I used to have Hisui and Akiha from Tsukihime, but their chains broke. :(

Just a small metal ring with four keys on. Two for the front and back doors of my house, one for my parent's front door and one tiny key for a suitcase, which I don't need anymore but have never bothered to remove.

I keep my keys in my back trouser/jeans pocket whenever I'm not home so, unless I want a pain in the arse, minimalism is literally the key - despite how appealing a red key keyring would be. I might have to put red lights around my front door to remind me which key to use :-)

I have a keyring from the Threshers Club steam engine show I got in 1987 or so, and an aluminum turtle-shaped bottle opener I received from a girlfriend in South Padre Island TX, when she was at the sea turtle rescue mission.

Funny thing, I actually collect padlocks so I have hundreds of keys, some duplicates, but I keep them all on a separate set of rings. When people see them next to my normal keyring they're like, holy shit you own a couple apartment buildings or something??

My keychain is a shoelace that I braided up, and a little Star Trek trinket with Kirk on the front.

I try not to make my keys too big or heavy, and really just use whatever I have on hand. Right now I've got a whistle that Campus Safety gave me, my car's security thingy, and a keychain that came with my purse.

I tend to attach things to my keychain as people give them to me. Sometimes I remove things when they break or get old and worn. As a result, the thing has several rings on it with no purpose but to connect other rings. These are held together with the remaining cords from all the pocket Mag-Lites I killed years ago. There's also a bottle opener on there. Keys for different places end up on different rings.

People think I'm crazy for having such an insane pile of metal in my pocket. I kind of like it because it's easy to know if I remembered my keys. I also have no idea if the original ring is still on that thing.

Definitely a minimalist on the ring department. Car keys, apartment+mailbox keys, a USB Key, a little key-shaped multitool thing, and a couple of supermarket discount cards. I tried putting other things on 'em for decoration at some point, but I got kinda fed up with the excess bulkiness so I delegated 'em elsewhere (though the only one I remember where ATM is a TF2 Heavy ornament I've got on my backpack now).

this one, from a lot of years (6-7 i think). It's really damaged in some parts and misses color, showing only the "naked" plastic...

A friend of mine keeps his car key in his pocket, off a key chain completely. I think it was to keep it from snagging him if he had to react to something while driving? It was a long time ago. So basically I do the same and don't have my car key on a keychain. Kind of habit now. I do keep my house key, an older house key, and what I like to call a 'boxcutter' key (just a small bike lock key) on a keychain with the keychain fob of my library card. It used to have a cryptozoic id fob on it but it broke up, and a long time ago I had a borders fob on it, but I think I took it off.

walter confalonieri said:

this one, from a lot of years (6-7 i think). It's really damaged in some parts and misses color, showing only the "naked" plastic...

Holy crap I want that. Lum is awesome.

The only keychains I like are the transparent blue rubber #1s that some car dealerships give you. I had one on my car key but it fell off so now I have none. I was kind of glad it fell off because keychains make it harder to put in your pocket when wearing skinny jeans.

Pretty minimalistic here. Car, mailbox, two safe keys, my parents' house key, and apartment key. Oh and that little Speedy Rewards thing.

DuckReconMajor said:

People with "mailbox" keys: are you talking about PO boxes or ones on posts in front of your house? How does the mailman get in?

For the mailboxes in places like apartments, the mailman has a master key that opens up the panels that comprise several individual mail slots.

DuckReconMajor said:

People with "mailbox" keys: are you talking about PO boxes or ones on posts in front of your house? How does the mailman get in?

I live in an apartment complex where the mailboxes are all gathered together for each building. The USPS courier has the key to open the rear doors of all the mailboxes, but the tenants have their own key to their respective door. (Edit: whoops, a bit late with that response)

Much like Exp, always a bottle opener. Always.

One of these, and if I'm feeling in a beefier mood...

House keys are just on a plain ring. Also has a RSA token on it. Used to have a small knife but the metal clip broke off (just as well with all the flying im doing atm).

Have an NZHondas lanyard with the key to my car.

car key on a ring and key to the previous apt. that no longer works for the apt which I should remove and melt down and make into something useful.

Car keys: tag with my name on it.
House keys: leather baggie that I keep them in so they don't scratch my phone.

bottle opener, a washington DC keychain with thermometer in it, a rydia keychain (:3) and a climber's hook.