Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

DuckReconMajor said:

well it looks mega cool yo

Thanks! It'll be done sometime in this decade.

I barely have time to work on my wad or map at all, I have about 5 exams left and then I'll be free again.
I'm currently working on map 07 whenever I have some free time.

http://i.imgur.com/H5ySZ.png

Tried to replicate the "caged descent" scene of Doom 3 for my megawad. The cage will not assemble like in Doom3, but it will descend and you can exit it when it sinks into the blood pool below. All in vanilla.

Gez: thank you! I didn't know that you can edit other's post. =)

Z86: remembers me of Claustrophobia 1024 2, there were a similar level start. (MAP28: Taggart Sails to Orion)

Katamori said:

Gez: thank you! I didn't know that you can edit other's post. =)

Only mods can do that and I'm not a mod on these forums. I meant I edited it in the part I quoted only.

Gez said:

Only mods can do that and I'm not a mod on these forums. I meant I edited it in the part I quoted only.

Oh, I misunderstood something.

It's probably just me, but the grey/white checker flat clash
a bit with the rest. But still, look superb!

I wouldn't say the checkered tile clashes, but the red flat doesn't really work quite well; it's generally not great practice to have a flat change without changing height. If you don't want to do that, I'd try finding one of those red/black checker tile recolors that are out there. :)

Actually the red flat is slightly raised (by 4 units), but I have to admit I don't know why but I don't like the particular shade of red used in the marble flats. I changed it to a chequered flat now. I was going for a sort of red carpet thing at the start of the map as it's a hellish castle/palace level.

Carpets shouldn't be raised above the floor sector I think. If you try to calculate how long is one pixel using the player's height and an average person height, it turns out that even 1 pixel is too thick for carpets (I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was a couple cm). And it looks dumb anyways.

There's a stock flat that actually can function quite well as carpet (can't recall ATM, but it's the plain red one), but I have to say that the red really does add one too many colors to that shot. Something about it isn't clicking right... the red flat, checkered floor, green pillars, red wall, and gray overhang just start to look really busy and unattractive, IMO. I'd alter at least one of these... probably the entire floor needs to be rethought.

Then again, I always find it hard to make the checkered flats work for more than a small amount of space :-/

It wasn't completely plain, it did have two different shades of red pixels, I recall it was used on the ceiling in some of the maps in snes Doom but because of the heavy mipmapping it appeared to be just one colour and people complained about it.

Try finding a red color variation of the FLAT14 texture, great for making carpets. Also using gray marble instead of brown for the side walls will match the floor and ceiling nicely.

I think I will just remove the "carpet area" the room looks fine without it.
@Dutch Devil - Good call on the grey marble walls, it blends everything nicely and given the light levels in the room, gives it a darker, more foreboding feel.