Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arkore

episode in one map. would you play it?

A really big map.

Basically have a very long adventure where you slowly build up from area to area, building up from small items and monsters to large items and large monsters and all monsters, and a Cyberdemon at the end.

This is what I've started, and I've finished the map for yellow key card so far. The blue key card will be slightly longer and harder of course, and red key card will be the finale.

I like the idea of a long seamless map/adventure where you play 30 minutes or so to get through it, and save your game at certain points, etc. and could backtrack all the way to the beginning through all the opened doors, unlocked doors, corpses you killed, etc.

My map is 15% done so far.

It will be a 4man coop / singleplayer map.

I've also taken in all the advice from the FAQ and idSoftware on making this map, so it should look nice and play nice.

edit: I edited my "I like the idea" paragraph.

I would play it. I just wonder how in the world the Doom engine will be able to handle it...

arkore said:

I like the idea of a long seamless map/adventure where you play 30 minutes or so to get through it, and save your game at certain points, etc. and could backtrack all the way to the beginning through all the opened doors, unlocked doors, corpses you killed, etc.

It's not backtrack friendly, but my Coils of the Twisted Tale for ZDoom is otherwise pretty much exactly what you're talking about, but it autosaves between each "chapter" (level, basically) so your journey won't have to be restarted completely if/when you get destroyed in the last few chapters. It's effectively a 10 map episode all in one map, IIRC. It's also, I believe, my most popular map, so I'd say your idea certainly has merit ;)

Also, 30 minutes is relatively big compared to the IWADs, but there are certainly a surprising number of maps that take well over 1 hour - some over 2 even! No idea what the actual record is though.

Why not just go all out and put all of Doom 2 in one map. I'm sure there'd be some interest in doing this... Maybe.

Memfis, wow. I'm going to check that wad out.

Phobus, imma check yours out too, thanks. But you said yours is still split up into multiple levels? I'm doing it all in one seamless single level(map).

I don't mind the part about dying and the whole thing resetting, because I always quit when I die once anyways in multiple coop because you lose everything anyways. Better to start over anyways.

Snakes, that is the coolest screenshot I have ever seen. That map layout, same magnitude of what I want to do.

arkore said:

But you said yours is still split up into multiple levels? I'm doing it all in one seamless single level(map).

It's one map, but it acts like multiple levels. Check it out and you'll understand :)

arkore said:

Snakes, that is the coolest screenshot I have ever seen. That map layout, same magnitude of what I want to do.

That map is all of Doom 2 in one map and takes a lot more than half an hour to get through :p

If you can program in an autosave feature I'd be very interested. For example, if you could program it to save when you walk over certain linedefs that'd be great. When you die, if you are very low on health at the last save, it would then load any savegames before that where you are not so low on health. There could be 3 to 6 major places where it would save the game (with several spots fairly close together at each major milestone).

arkore said:

A really big map.

Basically have a very long adventure where you slowly build up from area to area, building up from small items and monsters to large items and large monsters and all monsters, and a Cyberdemon at the end.

This is what I've started, and I've finished the map for yellow key card so far. The blue key card will be slightly longer and harder of course, and red key card will be the finale.

My map is 15% done so far.

I've also taken in all the advice from the FAQ and idSoftware on making this map, so it should look nice and play nice.

edit: I edited my "I like the idea" paragraph.

arkore said:

Hey, just a piece of helpful advice, pertaining to the cooperative aspect of it: Make sure you create unlockable shortcuts. A long epic journey for four players may seem awesome, but having to return all the way to the start, speed for ten minutes through a sea of dead monsters, and run into the same chaingunner trap that killed you is very annoying. Create frequent checkpoints that reveal teleporters or secret passages near the starting area so that players can quickly get back to where they were then they died. It's a problem I have with most severely difficult and large maps in coop, such as Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed 2. I did this for some of my later maps in UAC Ultra and the rewards were totally worth it.