Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

Air Force Osprey crash at Florida base injures five

They're still using those deathtraps? Though, I thought the Marines finally got the kinks worked out after all the other branches shelved the pieces of shit.

Meh - they've spent more than $27 billion on those aircraft (most of that being the development budget) and may well have spent as much again by the time the last one's delivered (mostly to the marines), so they'll damn well make em' work even if it kills them.

Earlier ones had a huge problem with being unstable under odd air pressure circumstances created by their huge counter-rotating rotors. I think that problem has been mostly fixed, but they're still not terribly stable crafts.

yellowmadness54 said:

I haven't heard much about these being "deathtraps"

Whats wrong with them, exactly?

Whereas thats all I've heard about them. Well, they havent the best track record. The engineering involved intrigues me no end.

They DO look cool and I would love to see them in action in a off world operation with a Xen-like horizon / atmosphere by the USAF in the future. That is, if they manage to repair or fix these bad boys.

Hell, I'd be happy to play a HL2 mod depicting the Seven Hour War with em' getting DEFEATED so quickly. Man, that mod would give me a berserk mode boner.

MRB_Doom said:

Sure, they are fun to shoot down in HL but IRL they suck major succubi ass.

They were also fun to shoot down in Soldier of Fortune 2.

The Army began developing the Osprey in 1982, though the program was nearly scrapped in 1989 when then-Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney sought to cancel it because of ballooning costs.

Oh how things change.

GingerPickle said:

Man, they should just junk these things if they're that unstable. :/

The thing is, as unpredictable as they can be, they're extremely convenient people moving machines. They haven't been scrapped because the military has decided their benefits outweight the risks. Which is slightly disturbing considering that the risks are "people can die."

Nomad said:

The thing is, as unpredictable as they can be, they're extremely convenient people moving machines. They haven't been scrapped because the military has decided their benefits outweight the risks. Which is slightly disturbing considering that the risks are "people can die."

If I were in the military I would be concerned about this. this sounds like someone was taking what they learned in Sid Meier's Civilization and put it to real life.

Nomad said:

But doesn't that risk apply to nearly everything? Especially with military equipment?

Any jet can fall out of the air. That doesn't mean that jets are bad or accident-prone.

Mr. Freeze said:

But doesn't that risk apply to nearly everything? Especially with military equipment?

Any jet can fall out of the air. That doesn't mean that jets are bad or accident-prone.

Yes, but these craft ARE accident prone. :P

They need to replace it with a better VTOL craft already, most of the crash articles I see are from these junkers.

That's terrible! News like this is why I might get nervous if I ever ride a plane, which I havent yet. I sure hope all the injured will be OK.

Airplanes are probably the safest form of mass transit we've got, don't worry about it.

Air Force commander relieved after Osprey crash

Col. Jim Slife, commander of the 1st Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt Field, Fla., said on Thursday that Lt. Col. Matthew Glover was relieved due to a loss of confidence in his ability to lead the 8th Special Operations Squadron.

So the special forces guy got some special treatment?