Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thx134

jdoom what is it?

It's one of three source ports that collectively are known as the Doomsday Engine, which has its own launcher front-end and a Wiki that should answer most of your questions.

You'll find some background info on it here.

GreyGhost said:

It's one of three source ports that collectively are known as the Doomsday Engine

Actually, Doomsday is one source port, and jDoom is one of its plugins.

A long long time ago there did use to be three independent source ports called jDoom, jHeretic and jHexen. Merging the common functionality into a unified engine plus plugin architecture resulted in what is known as the Doomsday Engine.

Some long time users (particularly those who only play DOOM) refer to the whole project as jDoom.

thx134 said:

okay so ho do i use it do i have to have doomsday first?

Yes, you need Doomsday first. You'll then want to follow it's instructions on how to set your IWAD files up with it to play those games.

thx134 said:

after it's set up can i upload new wads like custom wads

As in play custom wads? Yes but I recommend risen3d, in my experience it's a lot more user-friendly, and mostly has the same features.

invictius said:

and mostly has the same features.

Bull.

Sorry. It had to be said.

Risen3D forked from Dday over 9 years ago, way back in March 2003; the ports have gone their own ways since (to put it lightly).

Vermil said:

Bull.

Sorry. It had to be said.

Risen3D forked from Dday over 9 years ago, way back in March 2003; the ports have gone their own ways since (to put it lightly).

Then I'd be very interested to hear what differences these are. The wiki pretty much says that risen3d has boom support, and jdoom doesn't. Jdoom doesn't seem to be very compatible at all - no Boom, no zdoom features, just limit-removing and lighting/extra audio support. How many jdoom-only wads are there compared to risen3d/boom ones?

I suggest you look into it yourself because asking someone else to list all the differences here is rather a tall order indeed. For starters, Risen3D only plays DOOM (and TC's of it), Doomsday on the other hand supports Heretic and Hexen also (plus Chex Quest and HacX as independent game modes).

Doomsday and Risen3D are rather different ports despite the common ancestry.