• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jendave

WiiDoom 0.4.2 Released

jendave said:

The new version of Doom for the Wii can be found at:
http://code.google.com/p/wiidoom/downloads/list

It should be in the Homebrew Browser in the next few days.

This release updates the devkitpro and SDL libraries. It should resolve the nunchuk control, SDHC and Doom2 crash issues.

Dave

Excellent! I was unsure as to whether it was still being developed, glad to see that it is :)

We need a video of someone smashing their 72" with the wiimote unstrapped while playing deathmatch against a fairly good player.

Help out a n00b here... How would I go about getting this to work on my daughter's Wii?

Works nice, but I totally fail at the controls :D Any plans to support gamepads?

ducon said:

Can we play PWADs with WiiDoom?

The website says you can, but I didn't figure out how.

Enjay said:

Help out a n00b here... How would I go about getting this to work on my daughter's Wii?

You'll have to get your Wii homebrew-ready.

boris said:

You'll have to get your Wii homebrew-ready.

Hmmm... does that invalidate the Wii in any way? My daughter would probably kill me if I screwed up.

Here's a fairly simple method to run homebrew on wii;

You'll need:
-a SD card, formatted in FAT.
-a computer with a SD card reader.

First make sure your wii Firmware is up to date. The latest system menu version atm is 4.2. (Note:I doubt you have one, but if you have a region converted Korean Wii, the update will brick it.)

If for whatever reasons, you can't connect your wii to the internet for updating the system menu, then dont give up, as there's other ways to run homebrew too. (eg. older versions of bannerbomb)

To boot homebrew code in your wii, you'll need the Bannerbomb exploit. You can download it from here. (for system menu 4.2)
There's a bunch of different versions there named something like "abd6a_v200.zip", the right one for you depends on your wii.

Make sure your SD card has no directory named "private", if it does, rename it. Then extract the bannerbomb archive to the root of the sd-card.

Now you could either choose beetween installing the homebrew channel, or going for the faster choice, of just running loadMii which is more crude, but doesn't require installing anything on the wii itself. (Though only some of the homebrew work without the homebrew channel.. WiiDoom does fortunately :) .)

So next download loadMii from here, and extract it to the root of your SD card.

you should now have the following in your card:

-+Root
 |
 +-+Private
 | |
 | +-+Wii
 |   |
 |   +-+title
 |     |
 |     +-+aktn
 |       |
 |       |-content.bin
 |
 |-boot.dol
 |-meta.xml
 |-icon.png
 |-readme
you probably dont need the 3 last files though.

Then download WiiDoom and extract it the root aswell, now you should have a prboom folder, and a apps folder. In the apps folder, you can find a wiidoom folder, which has the .dol file that you need to select later with loadMii to launch the game.

Copy any doom iwads to the \prboom folder.
Pwads go in the \prboom\pwads folder.

Once you're done with that, its time to try if it works :P

Insert the SD card to the front SD slot on the wii. The SD icon in the wii menu should light up. Then go to the "SD Card Menu" (not the data management one!) a message with "Load boot.dol/elf?" should pop-up. Click yes, and it should now boot the loadMii homebrew-loader.

You should get a ugly red screen with the directories and files of the SD-card. Browse to the \apps\wiidoom folder, and select the boot.dol file to launch WiiDoom.

Next you can choose the iwad, and one or more pwads to run with it.

I havent tried 0.4.2 yet, but with the old version, you had to unplug (if you had the nunchuck connected to the wiimote) and then plug the nunchuck again to the wiimote when the game loads, as otherwise it would not register any input from it.

The aiming with the wiimote is pretty damn hard at first, but once you get used to it, you can get pretty accurate with it (more than with analog sticks).
I suggest not using the wiimote in the air, but rather having something supporting under your hand, so that you can keep your hand in a steady position. The wiimote is REALLY sensitive to even the slightest moves in WiiDoom. Ofcourse you can aim offscreen, if you dont want to turn all the time.

So far I've tried Suspended in dusk, Plutonia 2, Eternall and Whispers of Satan. WoS had some memory issues though, savegames not working properly all the time. Suspended in dusk had one or two homs in a map or two, but worked fine otherwise.

Ofcourse I'm not responsible if you brick your wii(do I really need to mention this?) but this should work on 4.2.

Good luck!

EDIT:

Enjay said:

Hmmm... does that invalidate the Wii in any way? My daughter would probably kill me if I screwed up.

I think if you use this loadMii application instead of installing the "Homebrew channel", then it shouldn't leave anything behind in the wii after you remove the SD card from the front slot.

Worst said:

Pwads go in the \prboom\pwads folder.

Thanks for the info.

nuts.wad is a bit too much for the poor Wii :)

Worst said:

Lots of info

Thanks. I'll gather my thoughts and courage and give it a go some time. :)

Thanks for the feedback on the new release. I know I may be opening up a can of worms here, but any thoughts on the controls? I like the idea of using the WiiMote for turning, but it does not work as well as I'd like. I am open to ideas of remapping the controls. I may remove WiiMote turning (it make less sense when there is no freelook). The nunchuk would be used for turning. The C or Z button would be remapped for strafing.

I am open to other ideas - modifying the WiiMote turning sensitivity, having a cutoff of sorts so minor Wiimote movements would not cause turning - any other ideas?

Dave

The controls obviously make this port special. But there are two problems:

1) the Doomguy moves extremely fast, as we all know, and autorun seems to be always on, even when the page says that the Z button is for running. I know that I can also control the speed with the nunchuck stick, but who has the patience to only push the stick 1/3 or 1/2 in some heated fight? I for sure don't.

2) the aiming. For me it's pretty hard to aim. I have the "laser pointer" enabled which helps me moving around, but even though I know it's no real crosshair it happens that I start shooting when the "laser pointer" is over the monster, but my weapons isn't in the correct position yet. I think the main problem there is that you (for example) first have to point to the left to turn to the monster and then point to the middle again to stop turning. There's a good reason why games like Metroid Prime have sophisticated auto aiming mechanisms.
A possible solution to that might be to actually shoot where the player is aiming, and not shoot to the center of the screen. That, of course, would be a pretty big change to the gameplay, though.

I hope to come back to the port. I don't think there will be any major changes, but fixing the controls and some of the bugs are a priority.

Do you ever plan on adding more traditional Wii-style aiming (like in QuakeGX)?

Not really. While I like the aiming in QuakeGX, it would be a substantial departure in Doom gameplay.

Having played WiiDoom for a fair while now I would like to add my thoughts with regards to the controls. I actually think there's very little wrong with the wiimote 'mouselook', it just takes a little getting used to. I am totally used to it and now it feels like second nature though I wouldn't say no to a full freelook.

The only frustration I have with the controls is with weapon switching. It would be good if you could push a direction a couple of times and instantly switch to the weapons a couple of slots in the list. At the moment you have to wait until the weapon has switched one slot before you can move on to the next - I hope that makes sense... :)

Other than that it would be great to see what keys you were carrying!

I really hope to see this port develop into a fully fleshed out beast with greater pwad support (I have problems with quite a few such as 99 Ways to Die which I believe to be vanilla compatible). It really is pretty cool sitting down with my wimmote in hand playing Plutonia 2 on the telly! :)

caco_killer said:

What is preventing WiiDoom from having music?

More than likely the same reason why PS2 Doom had no music. The hardware probably has trouble emulating midi output.

I was wondering if there's any chance of WiiDoom being resurrected. I really like it and I really like the controls but it would be nice to see the bugs fixed (no keys showing on HUD etc) and music support, even if that meant a custom WAD with MP3's in it or something...

Any chance?