Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Godhood (MIDI Suite)

So this is something that I've been working on since October last year. Like many of my projects, I took a lot of breaks from it, so it's hard to determine exactly how long I spent on this, overall. However, it is without question my most intense and ambitious musical venture ever. It's a progressive metal-themed suite written in MIDI, featuring some of my most complex riffs, stupidest guitar/keyboard solos, and most erratic time signature changes yet - taking a lot of cues from Dream's Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and Symphony X's "The Odyssey" (Opeth and DGM also helped me out). It's also my longest MIDI track ever, clocking in at just under 44 minutes in length.

It tells the story (mostly through the crappy lyrics I've written for it) of a young demigod of Order, sent from the world of the gods to rid the Mortal Realm of the destruction and disorder caused by his own brother. He sacrifices his godhood and arrives as a mortal, finding the realm in complete chaos. Throughout his journey he meets a number of obstacles, but pulls through with the help of his friends. In the end, having banished his brother from the Mortal Realm, he decides that his purpose as a god has been fulfilled, and renounces his immortality permanently to spend his new life alongside his fellow human friends.

This is the same story me and my brother have been working on for smeg-knows-how-long, and now we finally have something to show for it.

The Suite:
Godhood (43:39)

Movements:
I. The Eternity Fountain (Overture) (5:38)
II. Descent of Fire (4:37)
III. Terra Incognita (4:19)
IV. Wicked Gods (3:13)
V. The Serpent's Puzzle (4:54)
VI. Bitter Visions (5:37)
VII. Temple of the Unforgiven (4:01)
VIII. The Void (4:18)
IX. Cosmic Clash (3:28)
X. Denouement (2:59)

Hope you enjoy it! :D

If anyone would like to do anything at all with this, please let me know what exactly you plan on doing before you do it.

(Mods, feel free to move this to Blogs if this thread is a bit out of place under EE.)

I'm listening to it right now, it's quite good. :) I only just got through part one, but I like the progression, it flows to each new section smoothly and naturally.

Anyway, let me know when/if you can get on Skype, I'd like to talk a little bit.

Extremely well orchestrated. As a guitarist, I wish I had the skill to play this.

Listening now; this is pretty awesome. A 40-minute song suite is certainly ambitious, yeah. :>

Do you have any plans to do a recorded version of this stuff?

What's a "suite"? Is that another name for an "album"? No sound on my internet computer, but the description sounds interesting.

Jimmy plays instruments too? Cool, I didn't know that. :)

I can certainly tell that you're a Symphony X fan, as this stuff sounds, at least to my ear, a lot like the "V - The New Mythology Suite" album. Damn fine job!

A bit off-topic, but how would I go about requesting music for a DOOM project?

esselfortium said:

Listening now; this is pretty awesome. A 40-minute song suite is certainly ambitious, yeah. :>

As I mentioned on IRC, one day I might try plugging it into Reason and seeing if it sounds acceptable, but I'd much rather get someone who is confident enough with the guitar to record those parts for me.

TimeOfDeath said:

What's a "suite"? Is that another name for an "album"? No sound on my internet computer, but the description sounds interesting.

Jimmy plays instruments too? Cool, I didn't know that. :)

By "suite", I mean the complete work (ten tracks) as one MIDI. Not sure if that's precisely what suite means, but what the hey. :P

And it's just the keyboard I play. A lot of the solos in this track were based off of me manically mashing keys and then quantizing/correcting the resulting mess.

Vordakk said:

I can certainly tell that you're a Symphony X fan, as this stuff sounds, at least to my ear, a lot like the "V - The New Mythology Suite" album. Damn fine job!

A bit off-topic, but how would I go about requesting music for a DOOM project?

It was more "The Odyssey" than "V" that inspired me, but yeah, Symphony X's whole repertoire has served as a massive influence for this project. I dare say their style has even crept into some of my less manically progressive stuff. :P

As for requests, click the link in my sig - I have a forum dedicated to filling out requests for Doom projects. (I do get the feeling that Doomhub may supersede it once it goes online, but what the hey. :P)