Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

most levels in a single wad?

I made a topic on this back in 2006 but hey, there may have been some new developments since then. What's the highest number of levels released in a single wad? The most I can think of is 45 in Mockery 2, or around the same number in the latest 32in24 wad.

Th3re was a wad recently released that menti0ns the number of maps contained as its title, but I shan't name it f0r fear of giving it any credibility or sense of w0rth. Rest assured that you won't need to come back with this questi0n in another 6 years wondering if this achievement has been surpassed.

EDIT: Surreptitiously snuck in.

st.alfonzo said:

Th3re was a wad recently released that menti0ns the number of maps contained as its title, but I shan't name it f0r fear of giving it any credibility or sense of w0rth. Rest assured that you won't need to come back with this questi0n in another 6 years wondering if this achievement has been surpassed.

EDIT: Surreptitiously snuck in.

Obviously not on idgames.

Sorry, I guess that comma was a little too surreptitious. We have to take these sorts of safety precautions, because you're not actually supposed to play it.

st.alfonzo said:

Sorry, I guess that comma was a little too surreptitious. We have to take these sorts of safety precautions, because you're not actually supposed to play it.

I'd heard that Enjay was in the process of making a 76-level wad once, but have found no trace of it online, and he seems to be AWOL on the forums atm. Do you know any more about it?

Enjay is never going to make a full public release of his "Aspects" TCfor several reasons.

The plans TurboCharged Arcade! are 100 levels once complete.

Yeah, if we're talking about actual, playable maps that have been released, I think 45 in 32in24-11 and Mockery 2 (although I won't verify the latter) would be the record. Plenty of ambition to cap that though :P

Alwaysdoomed said:

do secret maps count?? =P

Absolutely. I came across a wad yesterday that had 5 secret levels. I wonder how that was accomplished? (What with secret maps being hard-coded to 2 in d2/tnt/plutonia)

invictius said:

Absolutely. I came across a wad yesterday that had 5 secret levels. I wonder how that was accomplished? (What with secret maps being hard-coded to 2 in d2/tnt/plutonia)

Hardcoded, schmardcoded

My all-in-one mod of AFADoomer's Wolf TC contains 123 maps (6*10 for the Wolfenstein episodes + 3 * 21 for Spear of Destiny and its two "mission packs"). However, given it's just a compilation of pre-existing maps, it doesn't really count. I could likewise bundle UD, Doom II, and Final Doom into a 132-map thing.

Gez said:

My all-in-one mod of AFADoomer's Wolf TC contains 123 maps (6*10 for the Wolfenstein episodes + 3 * 21 for Spear of Destiny and its two "mission packs").

I hope you won't release any of those, it's copyright infringement. Even to distribute themselves without compilation is infringement unless it's from the Wolfenstein owners, or unless they're executables meant to read from preexisting Wolf3D map files. But as standalone wads? Don't.

Applying some restrictions like must be single player, cannot be total joke, and has to be originql work (no conversions of other games, etc.) I believe these are the top three:

1) Bella II at 40 levels (seems half serious half joke though) Some levels are completely worth it and others aren't very good at all if they are even serious. Chris Hansen's four contributions here are easily the best and they are 100% serious levels as well.
2) 2002AD10 (Beta) with 38 levels
3) 2002ADO (Original version) with 37 levels

There are at least a few full UD megawads with 36, so I don't see need to go any further.

EDIT: Forgot Chibi Rebellion, from a gross count that is first place for sure and it's a WIP still but there is a playable release out there.

I recently coined the term "ohmygWAD" for a map set with 96 maps or more, assuming that >=64 would either be an ultraWAD or a gigaWAD, what with >=32 being the megaWAD number most people recognise :P This was because I've been thinking that'd be my ultimate ambition - a 96 map ohmygWAD. (ph_ohmyg.wad would be the file name, naturally)

GreyGhost said:

If you include IWADs, the extended version of Heretic has 48 maps.

So each episode has 9.6 levels each?

Heretic is 9x5 and then three levels that you can only see with engage61, 62, and 63.

However of these three I believe 62 is the only full single player map.

So heretic.wad has 46 playable solo levels.

I'm guessing however that the thread starter is looking for custom PWADs only.

BloodyAcid said:

What about 30,000 levels?

Probably doesn't count, I believe the author is talking about wads with the most playable levels. Yeah if were talking about the most levels on a technical scale then yes it does count.