Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Mindfuck.wad (et al.) release by Ac1DGoD

I'm posting this wad on behalf of Ac1DGoD on youtube. A couple of people have been talking about it as being the largest map ever. I'll go into specifics about the map below the link, however it has over 60,000 linedefs and sidedefs. Runs with Skulltag but is a single player map:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ip4hqgplq64v45n

Youtube preview by author: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDYIvq6e2I

Set gravity to 700 before starting. I'm not really into slugfest maps, however if anyone wants to alter it and re-release, just look the guy up on youtube. Here are his notes about the level:

if there's any re loading of any saved games then random switches don't work in the level guarenteed. But if you play the level all in 1 shot everything works just fine just the way it should. This is due to the size of the map, I have never seen this happen in any other map. I figured this out painfully & then finally I started a new game then immediately typed in clipping, god mode, and map view & ran through the walls to a switch that I KNOW works that didn't work and flipped it & the door opened just fine. I then started a new game did all that again but this time I saved it right in front of the switch then re loaded it then tried & the switch didn't work.

The other thing is; there are certain areas (random fucken areas) that if you try to shoot enemys with the minigun, railgun, doubble barrel, shotgun, pistol, or chaingun- the shots hit nothing but air. But if you shoot those same fucks from standing at a different angle & shoot em the bullets will hit them, this also is due to the size of the map for I have never seen this in ANY other map

So what I did to play the level to get around this was host a game on my other computer & play on my main one all in 1 shot without exiting the game unti done on "Hey, not too rough" that way when I died I dont have to re load I just re spawn with the gund & ammo I had when I died. I think the 1st time I did this it took me 33 hours on the time clock in the map.

I took a hallway of crushers & de tagged em so they don't work because in multi player when I got to the part with a hallway of crushing ceilings the game would get very intense sloppy lag mode that would not go away. So that hallway where you run under a lot of ceiling machines that LOOK like their gonna start smashin; don't worry they don't work no more.

So this was a "learn the hard way" experience not to make maps this big because the skulltag engine is not near as good as doomsday engine. I have maps I made that take up the ENTIRE grid that run flawlessly in the doomsday engine- this is my 1st skulltag map I ever made.

Lastly; In mindfuck the gravity has to be set to 700 to make all the nessassary jumps in it. To doso in options go to "my console" then type"SV_gravity+700" then press enter. If you cant jump up in the 1st room to get that red armor then you cant jump high enough.

If ya got questions I can answer em, I have played the whole level through on "Hey, not too rough" but not the other skills. I did skill levels, I took them VERY seriously when populating the level but I can't play Ultra Violence cuz my computer runs kinda choppy cuz theirs 19000 monsters on that skill but my friends comp runs just fine on ultra though

Memfis said:

Is it even possible to play this? Works A LOT slower than Nuts 3.

I get full speed when I open up the rooms containing the imps and hell knights(on a core 2 duo e5400, 4gb ram, 640x480). If you know of some way of deleting all "things" in a map, let me know, as I'd like to work at this map a bit... it crashes under doombuilder and deepsea before I can even do anything with it.

invictius said:

I get full speed when I open up the rooms containing the imps and hell knights.

GZDoom and Skulltag are known to be very unoptimized with regards to checking wheter to wake up unalerted bad guys. Hence why everything speeds up once you alert them.

invictius said:

The other thing is; there are certain areas (random fucken areas) that if you try to shoot enemys with the minigun, railgun, doubble barrel, shotgun, pistol, or chaingun- the shots hit nothing but air. But if you shoot those same fucks from standing at a different angle & shoot em the bullets will hit them, this also is due to the size of the map for I have never seen this in ANY other map

You'll see it also in Memorial. It's an overflow problem. It's been fixed in ZDoom recently (with some help from Maes and Entryway who had fixed it earlier in their own ports); but this is for Skulltag, which lags behind quite a bit, so it doesn't have this fix yet.

Gez said:

It's been fixed in ZDoom recently

No it hasn't. The ZDOOM website, under "Latest News", still has version 2.5.0 as the latest release, and that one still has the bug.

Yes it has. The ZDOOM website, under "Changelog", has a link to development builds and none of them have that bug.

I've started counting seconds per frame now.

Milestones-
15:00 - Cleared out both imp sides
15:05 - Killed by a Belphegor at 4 seconds per frame.

invictius said:

Lastly; In mindfuck the gravity has to be set to 700 to make all the nessassary jumps in it. To doso in options go to "my console" then type"SV_gravity+700" then press enter. If you cant jump up in the 1st room to get that red armor then you cant jump high enough.

Why wasn't this set in MAPINFO? It takes one line.

Anyhow, I'm tempted to try this just for the sheer insanity of it. Wish me luck, I guess. :P

This map is very unique and runs quite fast considering the size and scale. The only problem is there is too many monsters.

Gez said:

Yes it has. The ZDOOM website, under "Changelog", has a link to development builds and none of them have that bug.

If that's true, then why don't they make an official version release with the new changes?

It's more or less planned to have a 2.6.0 release sometime soon. The bug forum has been near-emptied over the last few months in preparation for that.

It just looks like a bunch of random non-sense to me to be honest, it looks cool in Doom Builder but like a turd in game. To be honest the map looks similar to a randomly generated map and this kind of leads to me to believe the author really didn't take much thought in what was being built. I couldn't really consider this map a mind fuck it's more or less a clusterfuckerage of randomly created architecture. On top of this there is no distinct theme just bunch of crap stitched together. Also lots of the slopes look like dog shit because the author doesn't know how to utilize them correctly and obviously spent their time doing non-sense rather than actually learning to do things properly. Heavy use and over reliance of curving is also evident while not necessarily a bad thing I think in this case the overuse really points to creating more lines for the sake of creating more lines. Anyways, I just had to rant on this one because there are things in this map that kinda boils my blood and makes me wonder why anyone would make this turd.

invictius said:

I get full speed when I open up the rooms containing the imps and hell knights(on a core 2 duo e5400, 4gb ram, 640x480). If you know of some way of deleting all "things" in a map, let me know, as I'd like to work at this map a bit... it crashes under doombuilder and deepsea before I can even do anything with it.

In Doombuilder, set testing parameters to -nomonsters.

Pottus said:

It just looks like a bunch of random non-sense to me to be honest, it looks cool in Doom Builder but like a turd in game. To be honest the map looks similar to a randomly generated map and this kind of leads to me to believe the author really didn't take much thought in what was being built. I couldn't really consider this map a mind fuck it's more or less a clusterfuckerage of randomly created architecture. On top of this there is no distinct theme just bunch of crap stitched together. Also lots of the slopes look like dog shit because the author doesn't know how to utilize them correctly and obviously spent their time doing non-sense rather than actually learning to do things properly. Heavy use and over reliance of curving is also evident while not necessarily a bad thing I think in this case the overuse really points to creating more lines for the sake of creating more lines. Anyways, I just had to rant on this one because there are things in this map that kinda boils my blood and makes me wonder why anyone would make this turd.

It's kind of a wad made by someone who seems to know a lot about level editing but nothing about doom. The guy doesn't know what a source port is, and I was sent another wad with a heap of spawn cubes etc, as a test to "see how good your computer is" - tens of thousands of monsters, which, as most of us know, has already been made years ago - nuts.wad. He played mindfuck in co-op so the map wouldn't have to take ages to reload after dying - most of us would know about iddqd or the resurrect command in the zdoom console. Interesting to see a wad made by someone who is unaware of the community here, though. It would probably make a good base for a level with a more reasonable number of monsters.

Krispy said:

In Doombuilder, set testing parameters to -nomonsters.

I don't want to test the level with no monsters, I want to delete all monsters in the editor so I can start placing my own.

Open it in SLADE 3 and delete the THINGS lump. I assume. Never tried it myself.

Phml said:

Open it in SLADE 3 and delete the THINGS lump. I assume. Never tried it myself.

Rather, swap the THINGS lump with one from another Hexen-format map. If the THINGS lump is entirely missing, the map will probably not load at all.

From the same author comes "madness".

http://www.mediafire.com/?1lbqj7blo1hgabi (map 30)

Its a wad to see how good your computer is. Mine can do about 14,500 monsters before getting choppy. My friend gregs can do fucken 60,000 before chop = my envious ass

Paintakingly quality-tested! Intelligently-placed spawners! Try the hottest wad of 2012 NOW!

The greatest port in the world, PrBoom-Plus, said:
P_SetupLevel: map01: Hexen format not supported

Great, it doesn't even work with Doom. What type of Doom WAD requires "Hexen format?"

Archy said:

Great, it doesn't even work with Doom. What type of Doom WAD requires "Hexen format?"

lol

Archy said:

Hexen used a different map format that allows for more customization and flexibility in level creation, whereas Doom, Heretic and Strife all used the older, less flexible format. ZDoom uses the Hexen map format in the other games as well to be able to do more stuff with it than would be possible in the original map format.

PrBoom is more of a port that focuses on Doom/Boom compatibility than it does with fancy features.

In the mean time, please do some research and find this stuff out for yourself.

Sodaholic said:

Hexen used a different map format that allows for more customization and flexibility in level creation, whereas Doom, Heretic and Strife all used the older, less flexible format. ZDoom uses the Hexen map format in the other games as well to be able to do more stuff with it than would be possible in the original map format.

PrBoom is more of a port that focuses on Doom/Boom compatibility than it does with fancy features.

In the mean time, please do some research and find this stuff out for yourself.

Now your post is here forever.

This level is exactly the sort of thing that I would expect somebody who goes by the name of Ac1DGoD to create.