Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I don't think it'll look appropriate. Because the PSX video is something that's common for all PSX games, not just dooms. Besides, we're launching it on a PC, so it could look strange, especially when you press ESC and DOOM main menu appears.

I forgot to mention I put the Williams logo into the main downloads a few days ago, it's in the right sequence now.

What I could do is make the PlayStation intro an optional download, like the Super Shotgun gfx, its there if you want it, without been part of the main game.

Since all sprites have been replaced, why not to include the SSG?
One more thing - did you also include Final Doom' [LOADING] and [PAUSE]?

I obviously missed out on something here, but...

Why are PSX Final Doom SSG sprites optional and not in the TC? I think it makes more sense to make the regular SSG sprites an optional addition.

EDIT: Is it because both PSX Doom and Final Doom TC's are combined?

It's nice to see that this project is still alive. Excellent work.

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_02.PK3

I edited the PSXNightmareSpectre sprites to emulate the custom blending used in the PSX version (based on a YouTube video), and fixed some minor issues as well.

• Edited the PSXNightmareSpectre sprites.
  • Fixed: The Demon/Spectre attack state timings were too slow.
  • Fixed: The PSXNightmareSpectre used the Vanilla Doom timings for its states.
  • Fixed: The BurningBarrel/ExplosiveBarrel spawn state timings were too fast.
BTW: I think the levels might need to have the aircontrol value set to 0 (I didn't include this in the update).

Nice one unknownna, thanks man.

The loading and pause sprites were included a while ago.

As far as am aware the psx weapon sprites were just low resolution versions of the PC sprites so there were not used. The final doom SSG although different was again too low in the resolution department, so the sprites in that wad are not the ones used in the game and am not sure If everyone would want the new SSG sprites included, I thought it would be better to leave it optional in case anyone didn’t like it.

ScottGray said:

As far as am aware the psx weapon sprites were just low resolution versions of the PC sprites so there were not used.

That's correct. I opted to keep the PC sprites exactly because of that reason.

Also, I have a question for anyone involved in the project...
Do you guys think we should add a credits page (in game) for all of the people involved in helping create the TC?

What about bulletpuff sprites? They don't go up like smoke, but they have to.
Credits? IMO, some readme file in the pk3 will be enough. Just to keep authencity. But if there'll be same font and you'll find proper background while keeping the same PSX credits style, why not?

fenderc01 said:

Also, I have a question for anyone involved in the project...
Do you guys think we should add a credits page (in game) for all of the people involved in helping create the TC?

I don't remember off the top of my head if the PSX Doom TC had a credits slide (I'm sure you do, considering you made it!). I don't think it did, but I could be wrong.

I think I'd agree with lafoxx though. Keep it as a text file unless they can be put ingame with similar text and a similar background.

Also, would you still call the project as being in beta? I'd like to keep the thread title as up to date as possible.

Never noticed a problem with the Cyber Demon hoof?

Very minor issue was that in the ending of the TC the Spider Mastermind gunshots make the shotgun sound in the "cast of characters" but in the PSX game it uses the chain gun sound as per the correct original ending? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25DnoP9YZM)

Also ZDoom 1.6 and GZDoom 1.6 released: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1085526

Janizdreg said:

GZDoom got a new release as well. Get it here. The GZDoom website hasn't yet been updated to reflect this though, apparently due to some technical difficulties with Graf Zahl's ISP.

Will this TC be fully compatible, and do any of the new Zdoom/GZdoom features help this project? e.g Rewritten menu system, does this mean we could match the PSX one more closely?

Another feature I would like would be for the keys to flash when you try and open a coloured door without one as per the PSX game, currently the TC makes the correct sound but just brings text up at the top of the screen, the keys don't flash.

unknownna's UPDATE_03 and lafoxxx's cyber' hoof sound fix and new sound fx pack are now merged with the main downloads

The Spider Mastermind and the chain gun guy now makes the right fire sound on the cast role.

and there's now a psx start up logo for Doom and Final doom if you want it, just chuck it in the GZdoom folder to use it.

Its a bit on the jaggy side, if you want to smooth it out set the GL_TEXTURE_FILTER "2" in the PSXDOOM.CFG file it turns on liner filtering.

lafoxxx said:

Credits? IMO, some readme file in the pk3 will be enough. Just to keep authencity. But if there'll be same font and you'll find proper background while keeping the same PSX credits style, why not?

Mattfrie1 said:

Keep it as a text file unless they can be put ingame with similar text and a similar background.

If someone is willing to create a credits slide in text format, I can create a graphic to use in-game using the Doom font.

PSXDOOM_UPDATE_04.PK3

• Fixed: The maps used ZDoom's default air control value. (There seems to be ZDoom bug present since the player is affected by the default air control until you manually set the value to 0 in the console.)
  • Fixed: The maps didn't have compat_notossdrops enabled.
  • Fixed: The PSXCAST didn't use PSXZombieMan and PSXDoomPlayer.
  • Fixed: Rockets didn't use the OLDRADIUSDMG flag.
  • Fixed: The BlurSphere was translucent.
  • Fixed: The PSXCyberdemon used A_PlaySound without A_Chase.
  • Improved the PSXCyberdemon see state timing.
  • Improved the PSXSuperShotgun fire state timing.

• Fixed: The spawn state timings of some actors were too fast:
  • GLTechLamp
  • GLTechlamp2
  • GLBlueTorch
  • GLGreenTorch
  • GLRedTorch
  • GLShortBlueTorch
  • GLShortGreenTorch
  • GLShortRedTorch
  • GLBlurSphere
  • GLInvulnerabilitySphere
  • GLMegasphere
  • GLSoulsphere
  • GLInfrared
  • GLBlueCard
  • GLBlueSkull
  • GLRedCard
  • GLRedSkull
  • GLYellowCard
  • GLYellowSkull
  • PSXArmorBonus
  • PSXHealthBonus
  • GLAllmap
  • GLEvilEye
  • GLFloatingSkull
  • GLHeadCandles

• Fixed a small error in the PSXChaingunGuy pain state.
  • Blood puff gravity value set to 0.6 to emulate the PSX version.
There are some missing nightmare spectres in some of the maps, e.g., in map06. The demon on the left in the picture below is supposed to be a nightmare spectre according to this YouTube video.

lafoxxx said:

It's for PSX DOOM, not FINAL DOOM, isn't it?

It's for the entire TC.

ScottGray said:

PlayStation Doom + Final Doom Episodes (23MB)
PSXDoom 2.0 Beta 1.zip //PSXDOOM.PK3 & BAT files
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4u9ac292vq8af94

I found a bug. There's a StealthChaingunGuy in the last area of MAP28.

And it seems that demons could infight in the PSX version. We could emulate this behavior through A_CustomBulletAttack, but I don't know the damage formula of A_SargAttack, or what the actual melee range of the demons is. According to Graf Zahl, the default melee range is 44.

Graf Zahl said:

For the record, the default melee range is 44, so using a value of 41 will actually make it shorter. For a monster with a 40 unit radius the best value is probably 64. That would be comparable to what the smaller monsters currently use.

unknownna said:

And it seems that demons could infight in the PSX version.

Knights and Barons would quite happily engage each other in combat too if provoked; none of that 'shared projectile' guff here, by the look of things. I reported this a while back on the official thread over on the ZDoom forums, but I'm not sure if it was ever implemented.

BaronOfStuff said:

Knights and Barons would quite happily engage each other in combat too if provoked; none of that 'shared projectile' guff here, by the look of things. I reported this a while back on the official thread over on the ZDoom forums, but I'm not sure if it was ever implemented.

I fixed the issue here, so it's included in ScottGray's main download.

unknownna said:

And it seems that demons could infight in the PSX version. We could emulate this behavior through A_CustomBulletAttack, but I don't know the damage formula of A_SargAttack, or what the actual melee range of the demons is. According to Graf Zahl, the default melee range is 44.

If demons infight, then it's because it was probably based on a pre-1.5 codebase. Maybe with the Doom II addons copy/pasted quickly, without paying attention to all the detail; which would explain why there isn't the infighting exception for Hell Knights and Barons. Obviously, that exception wasn't in the main code before Hell Knights were added. (Same deal for Doom 64, which is ultimately based on the same codebase.)

This is interesting on this topic.

The constant MELEERANGE is defined as 64*FRACUNIT. In 1.4 and older, the melee range check only looks for that value between two actors. Starting with v1.5., it's MELEERANGE-20*FRACUNIT (so, the value of 44 given by Graf Zahl), plus the monster's radius.

As for the demon infight, you can see it used a hitscan attack with MELEERANGE (so, 64 units, not 44) before it was changed.

Gez said:

As for the demon infight, you can see it used a hitscan attack with MELEERANGE (so, 64 units, not 44) before it was changed.

Thanks. But what about the actual damage formula? Here's the new melee state:

Melee:
		SARG E 0 A_PlaySound ("demon/melee")
		SARG EF 9 A_FaceTarget
		SARG G 8 A_CustomBulletAttack (0, 0, 1, (what to put here?), "PSXBulletPuff", 64, CBAF_NORANDOM)
		Goto See
And did the old demon attacks spawn any bullet puffs (fist/chainsaw) when they missed and hit a wall?

Speaking of which, according to the wiki, the ZombieMan dealt more damage in the PSX version.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Zombieman#PlayStation_Doom

DoomWiki said:

In PlayStation Doom, their gunshot damage is increased somewhat, up to a maximum damage of roughly 21. The manual also lists the name of this enemy type as "Former Soldier", as opposed to "Former Human" as in the PC versions' manuals (or "Zombieman" as in the enemy cast at the end of the game).

unknownna said:

Thanks. But what about the actual damage formula?

Unless they changed it in the PSX version for some mysterious reason, it's the same as it is now:
int damage = ((P_Random(pr_sargattack)%10)+1)*4;

So, random value between 0 and 9, plus 1, times 4. Or 4*1d10 to use RPG terms.

Gez said:

So, random value between 0 and 9, plus 1, times 4. Or 4*1d10 to use RPG terms.

SARG G 8 A_CustomBulletAttack (0, 0, 1, random(0, 9)+1*4, "PSXBulletPuff", 64, CBAF_NORANDOM)
I tested it, but it seems that the demons are much weaker now. It takes around 10-12 demon bites to kill the player (100% health, no armor). With A_SargAttack it takes around 4-6.

You forgot about operator precedence. The parentheses were there for a reason.

Try that:

SARG G 8 A_CustomBulletAttack (0, 0, 1, (random(0, 9)+1)*4, "PSXBulletPuff", 64, CBAF_NORANDOM)

Gez said:

Try that:

SARG G 8 A_CustomBulletAttack (0, 0, 1, (random(0, 9)+1)*4, "PSXBulletPuff", 64, CBAF_NORANDOM)

Excellent, Gez. That took care of it. Thanks.

Gez said:

The constant MELEERANGE is defined as 64*FRACUNIT. In 1.4 and older, the melee range check only looks for that value between two actors. Starting with v1.5., it's MELEERANGE-20*FRACUNIT (so, the value of 44 given by Graf Zahl), plus the monster's radius.

Does this also mean that demons used to enter their attack states from longer distances before? If I set the MeleeRange actor property value to 64, it's a lot easier to manipulate the demons into infighting like in the PSX video since they start to bite when they're further away from you.

Actor PSXDemon : Demon Replaces Demon
{
	Scale 0.92
	MeleeRange 64
	AttackSound ""