Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Miscellaneous demos (part 2) [please post in part 3 instead]

I don't know about other players, but I don't use an extra wad to give player 1% health for reality. A couple years ago I tried to playback a zdoom demo with an extra reality bex file (demo was recorded without it), but the demo desynced. I don't know if using an extra wad/bex/deh file on vanilla/prboom while recording will make demos desync. I just now tested some prboom demos with a reality bex file for playback and they didn't desync, so maybe it was just a zdoom bug. It's pretty easy to see when you get hurt though.

Here's a bex file if you still want it: reality.bex

EDIT: re-uploaded, but I can't figure out how to make the player always stay at 1% health (you can still pick-up health).

Oh, it's an interesting patch.

TimeOfDeath said:

I can't figure out how to make the player always stay at 1% health (you can still pick-up health).

Like you said, player's health exceed 1% if he gets recovery items. Anyone, can you solve this problem?

Sorry, I still can't fix it. I also tried editing the player thing and gave it 1 hit point (instead of 100), but you can still pick up health. I wonder if it's hard-coded into the game?

I think it will almost always cause desyncs. Random number generator depends on the number of objects. So, if due to the DEH file the player doesn't pick up something that he should, the monsters will behave differently.

Maybe you could make a custom colour palette that enhances the red screen when you get hurt, so that small damage amounts make your screen go full-red?

TimeOfDeath said:

Sorry, I still can't fix it. I also tried editing the player thing and gave it 1 hit point (instead of 100), but you can still pick up health. I wonder if it's hard-coded into the game?

In vanilla, stimpacks, medikits and berserk packs can always increase health up to 100. This can't be changed with dehacked - the "Max Health" setting only applies to health potions.

In Boom, they made an error in the way they coded this, and there Max Health applies to stimpacks, medikits and berserk packs, but double that value applies to potions. So if you recorded a Boom demo with Max Health = 1, then you could still increase your health to 2 by picking up a potion, and then take a tiny bit of damage without dying. So it's not 100% reliable, and of course requires you to record in Boom format.

Grazza, thank you for details.

Grazza said:

In Boom, they made an error in the way they coded this, and there Max Health applies to stimpacks, medikits and berserk packs, but double that value applies to potions. So if you recorded a Boom demo with Max Health = 1, then you could still increase your health to 2 by picking up a potion, and then take a tiny bit of damage without dying. So it's not 100% reliable, and of course requires you to record in Boom format.

Is minimum damage 3%? (Bullets, imp's fire ball, and so on.) When he take 3% damage with blue armor, a player's health is reduced by 2 and the armor percentage is reduced by 1. A player therefore always dies even if he has 2% health, doesn't he?

By the way, can maximum armor point be changed?

I'm not sure offhand of the minimum damage from a bullet or projectile, but 1% damage is certainly possible from splash damage if you are at the right distance.

What's the point of modificating? Is there a way not to notice you got hurt? Or am I missing something?

j4rio said:

What's the point of modificating? Is there a way not to notice you got hurt? Or am I missing something?

It would make verification a little easier: just replay the demo, fast forward to the tally screen, and if it hasn't desynched with the "goes haywire if damage is taken" modifier, then Reality can be considered verified. But I think this would need to be via a prb+ feature request (or an exe hack), rather than a deh or pwad.

But you're completely right that carefully watching a demo works OK too.

Foodles' F_Episode 2 v1.1 (F_EP2.WAD) - a demopak:

filename  | map  |  category   |  stats  | time
 =================================================
  f_ep221uv | E2M1 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 2:53
  f_ep221ty | E2M1 |   Tyson+    | 100/100 | 3:14
  f_ep222uv | E2M2 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 4:37
  f_ep223uv | E2M3 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 4:49
  f_ep224uv | E2M4 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 5:58
  f_ep225uv | E2M5 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 7:34
  f_ep229uv | E2M9 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 5:09
  f_ep226uv | E2M6 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 7:47
  f_ep227uv | E2M7 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 7:26
  f_ep228uv | E2M8 |   UV Max    | 100/100 | 1:56
Seven months later Memfis did a faster set for the first five levels, but on the original release (now on DSDA). The demopak's TXT tells how to tell the two versions apart. I recommend renaming the final version to F_EP22.WAD for automatic playback of this demopak with prB+ and conflict avoidance with the older demos on DSDA (all recorded on the original version).

Some DOOM2 demos now.

• ATTACK.WAD by Tim Willits (from Master Levels for DOOM2):
    - a UV Speed in 0:47
    - a Nightmare + 100% Secrets in 1:21
    demos
    The mods did a good job on cleaning up the old Misc thread, still the Master Levels have been overlooked. Surely they deserve a thread of their own?
  • FourPlay... (BDS3.WAD) by Barry D. Sebastian:
    - a UV Max in 6:01
    - a NM Speed in 1:08
    - a short oddity demo (a failed NM run) that highlights one rendering difference between vanilla and Choco/prB+
    demos
  • Hitler's Caverns (CAVERN.WAD) by Sam Nyfeler AKA Cybernator1 - a UV Max in 16:49. The WAD was uploaded to /idgames by Grazza, so you know it must be good.
  • ORACLE.WAD by Jim Flynn and Scott Harper:
      filename |  map  | category | kills | secrets | time
     ------------------------------------------------------
      oracl2uv | MAP02 |  UV Max  |  100  |   100   | 16:36
      oracl2gm | MAP02 | UV -fast |  100  |   100   | 15:25
      oracl2nm | MAP02 | NM Speed |   19  |    33   |  2:16
     ------------------------------------------------------
      oracl3uv | MAP03 |  UV Max  |  100  |   100   |  6:43
      oracl3ns | MAP03 |  NM100S  |  130  |   100   |  3:56

This particular demopak sat for 15 months on my hard drive, but I guess that's nothing compared to the fact that this masterpiece of classic design went for 15 years+ without a published demo. ;)

EDIT: forgot a few demos for a small crazy coop map
  • The Final (F1.WAD) by Alain:
    - a UV Max in 4:13
    - a NM Speed and a UV Speed, 1:10 each
    demos

Europa III UV-max in 6:00.

Challenged the record of this map but it's rather hard for me trying to backtrack to the stragglers. I'm not very good at that.

euro03-600.zip

vdgg said:

Midnight Tek Frenzy uv max in 9:41. Thanks to KMX E XII, I would have overlooked this map without his review.

This was great fun to watch, thank you :)

Nice to see someone actually utilized the invulnerability sphere! That was the very last addition I made to the map.

NoobBait said:

Demon Plague UV-Max in 8:30

I've never seen the map before, really cool, an excellent choice for a Max. And a reckless demo towards the end :)

vdgg said:

I've never seen the map before, really cool, an excellent choice for a Max. And a reckless demo towards the end :)

yeah, i don't see what's quake-inspired in this map, perhaps because it's mostly brown... but a nice demo anyway, i like his quick dodging and aggressive ending.