Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What do you think about Dave Mustaine?

For those who don't know him: Dave Mustaine is a singer and guitarist, founder and leader of the thrash metal band Megadeth. Dave was a member of Metallica too but he was kicked out before their first studio album relase. Since this event, there are a lot of conflict between Metallica fans and Megadeth fans, which I think is ridiculous and boring.

What do you think about him? my opinion is that he's a sympathic and heavyly talened guy, however, I must say, he's not a perfect singer. (but I like his voice)

I liked him a lot better when he was on a lot of drugs. Now he's a bible thumping pansy. He wrote his best music with Marty Friedman, for whatever that's worth--but I haven't minded the last few releases. Actually I like pretty much every Megadeth album but Risk.

He's a nice enough guy, I guess. I usually disagree with his far right, Christian politics, though, at least he's not a complete hypocritical prick about it like that asshole Nugent is.

Nomad said:

Actually I like pretty much every Megadeth album but Risk.

Risk is one if their best albums. Thrash-heads hate anything the slightest bit progressive, I swear.

I agree, Nomad. He still rocks, but this whole "I'm a Christian now and I confess my sins" is so bad, even if he had a lot of trouble previously - like when an injury dangered his later carreer.

I'm indifferent to Dave Mustaine, and indifferent to Megadeth.

That cover of the Duke Nukem theme they did was pretty sweet through.

I only think of Megadeth's cover of the Duke 3D theme when I hear about Mustaine. Although I've seen him with that disgusting Stratfor intelligence agent Alex Jones a few times.

MRB_Doom said:

Although I've seen him with that disgusting Stratfor intelligence agent Alex Jones a few times.

Even more reason to think he's an idiot.

Having seen Megadeth live, I have to say he's not much of a showman considering he's meant to be the lead guy. Just head down and playing his guitar and doing his oddly voiced vocals. Megadeth are a brilliant band all the same, IMO and I appreciate the music he makes and plays. I am entirely indifferent to everything else about him though - he's just a member of a band I like (another of which, in largely equal measure, would be Metallica)

Bah, he even refused to perform at some metal festivals becasue some bands he deemed anti-Christian.

Never a moderate...

Megadeth is one of my top favorite bands, seen them live twice so far.

Dave is a homophobic christian asshole who needs to shut his mouth and get singing lessons. But damn, he can play.

Last two albums I've thought were pretty awful though. Rust in Peace/Cryptic Writings/SFSGSW/etc are really what I mostly listen to these days.

Technician said:

Thrash-heads hate anything the slightest bit progressive, I swear.

Stop.

Dave Mustaine these days is a total idiot, but Megadeth is really good. Haven't heard the newest one yet, but Endgame was pretty solid and had a couple of really good standouts. Don't need to mention their early work.

He's pretty intelligent and a pretty down to earth guy (though he was a bit of a dick up until around the past 3-5 years) and he's very talented musically, but his political views are batshit insane. Overall he's someone I look up to though.

Megadeth is has been awesome since the get go and have been till this day, except Risk because it's not all that great. A good portion of the classic Kill em' All album songs was written or at least co-written by Mustaine. Which explains the similarity between Four Horsemen and Mechanix. All-in-all he's a pretty cool guy but since he's found god outside of Megadeth he's become a bit of a tool, but if he's just talking about music he's pretty great.

I don't hate on Risk because everyone else does, I genuinely find it to be a very boring album. The first song is decent and that's about it. Cryptic Writings was a much better foray into that style.

He's not too bad. His TNT efforts were okay but I'm particularly fond of PARADOX.WAD for some reason (and his rejected map for Master Levels is pretty damn cool too). I should probably pick up Hell to Pay again to take a look at his stuff there, now that I'm thinking about it...

Erm, wait. Dave Mustaine? Is that like Tom's brother or something? O_O

Xaser said:

He's not too bad. His TNT efforts were okay but I'm particularly fond of PARADOX.WAD for some reason (and his rejected map for Master Levels is pretty damn cool too). I should probably pick up Hell to Pay again to take a look at his stuff there, now that I'm thinking about it...

Erm, wait. Dave Mustaine? Is that like Tom's brother or something? O_O

There was a thread in Doom General where he explained that they do share some distant lineage.

Dave Mustard really is an extraordinary guitar player, which explains A) why people put up with his "singing" and B) why "he's not much of a showman".

Shortly after his conversion or coming out or w/e he refused to play with some bands that had songs with anti-religion lyrics in their repertoire, and those bands were removed from the relevant tour.

That's a dick move. Especially from the man who wrote "Hook in Mouth"

Mr. T said:

Shortly after his conversion or coming out or w/e he refused to play with some bands that had songs with anti-religion lyrics in their repertoire, and those bands were removed from the relevant tour.

Im teasing, it wasnt quite fair to those bands at all. As a person, I dont find Dave as much inspiration to me, as he is simply just a thrash musician and nothing more.

Mr. T said:

Which is a song he'll no longer play live again.

Technician said:

Which is a song he'll no longer play live again.

I remember reading that he wouldn't play certain songs like The Conjuring anymore.

Still:

The album "So Far So Good So What" is an interesting listen just because of how fucked up he obviously was while they were recording.

It's actually kind of difficult to listen to now that I am a few years older and don't really think listening to a coked(!?) up man sing about driving drunk is awesome... I obviously thought it was the coolest album ever when I was 15;-)

/E

Also, Anarchy in the UK is a song that really didn't need to be covered. I didn't grow up in the 70s so thought the Megadeth version was cool back in the day.

My short answer: "So Far So Good So What" WAS DAMNED GREAT! All of its song is perfect IMO.

By the way, after Xaser's comment I searched in Google that Tom Mustaine guy.

Now I'm looking for my chin on the ground... I was surprised.