Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Pinky's hands

Just now noticed that his hand balls up into a fist; I always thought it was just some sort of fleshy-nub.

That being said, it always made me wonder as to why they have hands anyway. I mean just look at them, they look like a vestigial structure much-like the T-Rex's arms.

I dunno, but I find it genuinely weird that pinkies have hands.

How do you feel about them? To me the just seem like a sad, pointless thing on something that's meant for running up to things and mauling the life out of them.

With that messed up body structure, they probably need them for balance a lot. Using them to grab prey would probably work in their favour too, since just running up and biting hardly works against a guy that can instantly accelerate to 35MPH running backwards.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Doom 3 concept of the pinky is one where the demon has to eat its way out of its own skin at birth -- or the equivalent thereof -- in order to feed, breathe, etc.. I can't recall where I first heard of this fact, however, so give me the twenty dollars you have in your pocket there and I'll fetch another bag of salt.

Regardless, the anatomical inefficiency of the standard issue pinky demon only further reinforces the evidence that evolution by natural selection applies equally across alternate dimensions. Since there is no predator force to oppose the demon's presence, it makes sense that these slavering bufoons would develop obscenely large maws in order to better accommodate the only activity they engage in on a regular basis.

Interesting yes.

Pinkies have hands so that they could apply some brown paint on them and give them to cacos in order to turn them into pain elemental. (A cyberdemon's horns and a partial invisibility sphere are also required for this ritual.)

Most of Doom's demons have some sort of ungainly appearence or anatomical inefficiency. For instance:

The Demon, Aracnotron and Spider Demon have tiny arms.
The Mancubus lacks hands and is overweight.
The Cacodemon and Lost Soul lack arms and legs.
The Pain Elemental lacks legs.
The Barron of Hell and Hell Knight are hunched.
The Arch Vile is emaciated.

It's just the Demon is the most unusual to our eyes.

Now why do Pain Elementals have arms at all? Their Cacodemon relatives seem to get along just fine with no arms. I think its just to keep their floating skull children in line with a prompt spanking to cease the occasional brawl amongst one another.

Vermil said:

Most of Doom's demons have some sort of ungainly appearence or anatomical inefficiency.

You forgot how the Revenant is basically dead and Commander Keen is hanged...also the Icon of Sin is only a severed head on a stick, with a bad haircut too.

So I guess this only leaves the Imp and the Cyberdemon (with its muscular, sexy butt) to save the day?

Even the Former Humans and Doomguy himself are anatomically freakish, with stumpy bodies and a hunching posture? (Actually, even the Imp has a hunched stance with a prolapsing head. Only the Cyberdemon has a perfectly upright posture...well, and the Nazis).

Aldaraia said:

Now why do Pain Elementals have arms at all?

They also seem to move them much like a running human, as they fly around.

The demons are just weird. When I first saw the cacodemon, I WTF'd. But how weird would a pinky look WITHOUT arms? The arms are there for 'visual presentation' maybe?

Maes said:

Icon of Sin is only a severed head on a stick, with a bad haircut too.

I thought that was only an easteregg not considered the actual Icon of Sin.

Maes said:

So I guess this only leaves the Imp and the Cyberdemon (with its muscular, sexy butt) to save the day?

Lets not forget our friends the Barons and Hellknights.

What's weird with having arms, arms are always useful!
They can open doors. Acually even lost souls can do so, but I suppose it may be way more comfortable to do so by hands that by... teeth, perhaps?
They may grab something, they may scratch an itch, they may put some marble in the middle of human base and of course, they may... oh whatever, I forgot They Are Spawnah Not Birthah.

They play Rock, Paper, Scissors to find out who gets to become a Spectre.

Only explanation that makes sense.

They probably use their mouths as hands and therefor don't need hands anymore.

Spoiler

Demons do not evolve. they are sprites for a video game made a long time ago. They have T-rex arms to look scary.

Clonehunter said:

Lets not forget our friends the Barons and Hellknights.

Vermil said:

The Barron of Hell and Hell Knight are hunched.

Krispy said:

They probably use their mouths as hands and therefor don't need hands anymore.

Spoiler

Demons do not evolve. they are sprites for a video game made a long time ago. They have T-rex arms to look scary.

They're REAL to ME! *Chokes up.*

No, schwerpunk. You are the demons.
And then schwerpunk was a zombie.

Maes said:

You are the demons.

That's it... *ticks another point on a checklist* okay, so what is left... Impse reference, anyone?

Scypek2 said:

That's it... *ticks another point on a checklist* okay, so what is left... Impse reference, anyone?

Hey, at least this thread IS about Demons.
And then Scypek2 realized he was being too much of a party-killer.

chungy said:

And then Maes was a redditter [redditor].

FTFY

Aaand, I hate myself now.

So back to demons: I was thinking, would Pinkies really look that different without hands? I think they'd still work. I mean, Lost Souls and Cacos get by without them or legs.

He'd need his upper limbs for getting back up off the ground from laying, I would assume. I figure the cacos just sit on the ground akin to a beanbag chair, and then defy gravity when needing to get up.

Maybe the hands are used to pull out bits of bone and other 'things' stuck in its teeth. Though im not so sure his arms are actually long enough to archive this feat!

The pinky has pretty long and muscular arms really - it's just that it also has an ungainly, oversized head and gigantic jaws. They look like they'd pack a good punch, or be useful for holding something still so they can bite into it better.

Lost souls are flying skulls on fire; cacos are flying heads.

The spiders are Krang-like brains with face and arms, mounted on a four-legged battle platform.

The rest are basically humanoids with various levels of deformities. One upright torso, with one head, two legs and two arms. The arms attach to the side and the legs to the bottom, like on a human. (And not all attached to the front like on a horse, or all attached to the side like on a lizard.) Largest deviation from the basic humanoid model is that pinkies and Hell nobles have reverse-jointed legs.

The Doom 64 Demon's Hands are ferocious (and apparently are used to reach for the player and pull into his mouth)