Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest Series Demos [-complevel 9]

blob1024 said:

how exactly that worked anyway?

adam hegyi awarded the best compet-n demos every year. bringing it back would probably feel awkward, because we don't have a single overlording authority of his caliber and there aren't many demos recorded on c-n wads anyways.

hehe, but seriously... i see a lot of serious issues with a cyber awards variant for the whole dsda archive. there's almost infinite amount of wads to be considered and a single uv-max category would feel like an insult. how do you even start to compare maxes of slaughtermaps with those of maps the size of doom2 or scythe? and who's going to cast the decision? surely not a public vote, with all respect to democracy. :)

Ancalagon said:

sorry for post 2 similar demos, but i really wanted this map in 19:xx
cc3 map29 max in 19:25
thanks for those comments :)

They are not similar, this is actually much better than your last one. I wasn't impressed at all by your 20:XX because I knew you could do much better. :)

dew said:

adam hegyi awarded the best compet-n demos every year. bringing it back would probably feel awkward, because we don't have a single overlording authority of his caliber and there aren't many demos recorded on c-n wads anyways.

hehe, but seriously... i see a lot of serious issues with a cyber awards variant for the whole dsda archive. there's almost infinite amount of wads to be considered and a single uv-max category would feel like an insult. how do you even start to compare maxes of slaughtermaps with those of maps the size of doom2 or scythe? and who's going to cast the decision? surely not a public vote, with all respect to democracy. :)

Actually my idea was not to bring THE Cyber Awards back itself. My idea actually was just for people to list their favorite demos in the year so we wouldn't miss anything good. I download almost all demos which are posted in this forum :D

I will make a thread about it on the last days of december. In time, don't forget that Xit Vono and stx-Vile are still around.

dew said:

Actually, the Golden Cybers were decided by a democratic vote. There was a shortlist (with about 5 demos nominated per category), and the winners were chosen in a free vote. There were measures in place to check that people didn't vote more than once, but that was all.

The shortlists of nominees were drawn up democratically too, but generally there were fewer people involved in that stage.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090419012543/http://www.doom2.net/~compet-n/cyber/cyber.html

Reviving the Golden Cybers is an interesting idea. I'd suggest a different name, and that a number of people (all active recorders) should be involved in privately drawing up the rules and procedures (this shouldn't be rushed, as it isn't a simple matter). And this should of course be discussed in a separate thread.

Where we do miss out nowadays is that the new compet-n demos are, strictly speaking, only compet-n entries. With compet-n currently a headless chicken, they are neither officially accepted nor rejected.

thanks to quataar for the idea he gave me on yt about using the BFG earlier on the avs too. too bad they moved very bad, but I hate non armour maps.

Cchest2.wad
map30 uv-max 02:11*

c230-211.zip

I played that map myself recntly, and found that old record is very easy to break. However, even if so, I wasn't able to manage optimal time in my runs (2:1x) and gave up after several unsuccesful close attempts.

cchest2 map31 uv-max in 2:40. Includes a failed attempt of what should be 2:2x.

c231-240.zip

uber j4rio.

Cchest3.wad
map28 uv-max 05:38*

I'm glad of having this back, but this was quite time-consuming and rather demotivating, since I needed a couple of evenings, as I can hardly spend more than an hour daily or so for doom nowadays.

c328-538.zip

Cchest2.wad
map30 uv-max 01:58*

yea, finally sub2. Not so special, but no major timewastes and good rockets vs AVs this time, leaving last 2revs and the cgs was good idea

c230-158.zip

ahah nice one. a map I instantly skipped as soon as I tried it the first time. about c2-24, I should post probably my failed attempts of 6months ago on it. Died after 37min of run or the likes. I ll do a few more ks demos maybe and then return on it.

A few Community Chest 2 demos

MAP02 NM "Speed" in 3:11
MAP03 NM100 in 3:42
MAP06 NM Speed in 1:14
MAP06 UV Speed in 0:33
MAP09 NM Speed in 0:35
MAP10 NM Speed in 0:52

To dew: I insist that you watch MAP06 before reading the textfile :)

cc2-2-3-6-9-10.zip

Donce said:

A few Community Chest 2 demos

MAP06 is indeed kind of a highlight here (LOL at Anima's text file in his 2:16, this is kind of a mistake I've made quite many times as well), but I also like MAP03 on skill 5 a lot. These long (=/= unnecessarily long) nightmares reminiscent of Xit Vono's 2010-2011 perseverance showcases are getting rare these days.

Cchest2.wad
map09 uv-max 01:29*

@vdgg: just 2 sleepy I guess- the downloaded file replaced was delicious. :D hope you didnt get into elucubrations and started wondering about tecnical bugs of the engines too much

c209-129.zip

community chest 1

2 max 2:32
3 max 1:41
4 max 2:54
5 max 5:23
6 max 10:39
7 max 5:39
8 max 5:17

I got bored with it so I didn't continue.

c1_j4.zip

Haha, very cool. I wanted to write something more, but then... it would be longer than your txt :-P I'm sure you don't want to try this again at the moment :)

vdgg said:

Haha, very cool. I wanted to write something more, but then... it would be longer than your txt :-P I'm sure you don't want to try this again at the moment :)

Yeah yeah I suck at boasting. Maybe 1ntru could give me a lesson or two. Hahahaha.

Just by the way, it's sort of semi second exit, if you count running out of ammo at last 4 sentry chaingunners as an exit. :))
It was around 35 minutes in or so.

Nice run J4rio :)
Yet again I made the fatal mistake of asking a question and then finding the answer just 30 seconds later.