Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Liquid textures that you think are X but are really Y

Anyone else have certain textures set in a spot of their brain, telling them that this texture CAN ONLY BE a certain thing?

Mine personally is WALL42_3 and WALL47_3. My brain automatically thinks that all of them can be lowered.

I suppose that you mean SUPPORT textures? I'm not really into patches. I also used to treat every LION/SATYR/GARG as a switch. That quickly became problematic.

Scypek2 said:

I suppose that you mean SUPPORT textures? I'm not really into patches. I also used to treat every LION/SATYR/GARG as a switch. That quickly became problematic.

I've come to find it rather irritating and confusing how inconsistently they're used in maps, even in the official levels. The metal lion/satyr/garg textures, depending on Sandy's whim, might be a switch or just decor.

esselfortium said:

I've come to find it rather irritating and confusing how inconsistently they're used in maps, even in the official levels. The metal lion/satyr/garg textures, depending on Sandy's whim, might be a switch or just decor.

In original Doom 1 they're virtually only decorations. The rare cases where they're switches, they double as direct doors.

Gez said:

The GATE* flats can only be used for teleport pads.

Well, they SHOULD only be used for teleport pads, any other use is entirely incorrect.

I've seen a room full of 64x64x64 teleport cubes with GATE textures.

printz said:

In original Doom 1 they're virtually only decorations. The rare cases where they're switches, they double as direct doors.

Can somebody remind me where they are (switches)?

Sodaholic said:

Well, they SHOULD only be used for teleport pads, any other use is entirely incorrect.

Nah, the trap in Plutonia MAP23 (megasphere secret) was great. You step on the GATE pad and an arch-vile is released.

I dislike DOORTRAK used as in here (marswar MAP21), steps piled up a la Lainos (Object 34 Sonar)

vdgg said:

Off the top of my head, there's a couple in The Crusher.

vdgg said:

They're almost all in Episode 4.

Linedef 1100 (SW1LION) in E3M3
Linedefs 125, 313 & 467 (SW1GARG) in E4M1
Linedefs 75 (SW1SATYR), 77, 166, 593 (SW1LION) & 674 (SW1GARG) in E4M2
Linedefs 343, 347, 352, 356 & 505 (SW1LION) in E4M3
Linedefs 327, 416 & 462 (SW1GARG) in E4M4
Linedefs 852 (SW1GARG), 424, 891, 1311, 1331 (SW1LION) & 517 (SW1SATYR) in E4M6
Linedefs 128, 130 (SW1SATYR), 691, 693, 830 (SW1LION), 1287 & 1289 (SW1GARG) in E4M7
Linedefs 339 & 344 (SW1SATYR) in E4M9

purist said:

Nukage and Lava should always damage, while water should never do so.

I noticed that in a least one map during my recent replaying of E2 and E3. I wtf'd at Doomguy being afraid to get wet.

Also, while we're sort of on this subject: what's everyone's opinion on blood pools? A friend and fellow doomer claims that blood should always be damaging, but I think that's a silly idea. Standing in blood is no more damaging than water; though I suppose it could be argued that the blood is from demons and is acidic or something. I'm comfortable with saying it's a sometimes thing, but not always damaging.

Sometimes it makes sense for the water to be damaging, like if it's freezing cold (arctic climate), or steaming hot, or radioactive, or there's electrical wires sticking in it... But then that should be pretty obvious and not something you have to guess at.

vdgg said:

There is one in E3M6 which is placed on the entry door of the remote optional wooden house from the island. There might be another one elsewhere, but I don't quite remember where. You would only press that if you were stuck in an unlikely place though... Or maybe there's none. ZDoom makes it seem like there are more, because of how it uses a different linedef trigger system.

Were the lion, garg and satyr switches even before Doom 2? By name, one would say yes... and there are many Doom v1.2 wads with them as switches...

Nomad said:

Also, while we're sort of on this subject: what's everyone's opinion on blood pools? A friend and fellow doomer claims that blood should always be damaging, but I think that's a silly idea. Standing in blood is no more damaging than water; though I suppose it could be argued that the blood is from demons and is acidic or something. I'm comfortable with saying it's a sometimes thing, but not always damaging.

This was covered recently before. Personally, when I use blood it's never damaging but in the original game it's damaging so I suppose it's something to be suspicious of. I rank likeliness to damage, starting with most likely thus:

Lava
Nukage
Brown Sludge
Blood
Water

There are of course exceptions like hex11 mentioned but it should be clearly marked and have an easy escape the first time it's encountered.

yellowmadness54 said:

Wow, that's just awful.

The door track one at least looked somewhat decent, but this is just stupid looking.

For me, the DOORTRAK screenshot looks ugly and steps piled up are fine.

My suggestions for this thread (some of them are obvious):

- METAL3 and TEKGREN3 can be opened (I always try it)
- PLAT1 can be lowered
- textures with skull in wall are switchable
- all DOORBLU, DOORRED, DOORYEL textures are next to locked door, nowhere else, if I cannot see them, the door is not locked

-I always use GRAYBIG or GRAYTALL for test maps.
-I try to conserve the least used textures, such as GRAYDANG and SP_DUDE6. Though, I end up never using them.
-FLAT20 is for doors.

purist said:
Lava
Nukage
Brown Sludge
Blood
Water

There are two types of "brown sludge" and to me one is "brown water" and the other is "brown nukage". That is, one looks just like the water but is brown (which the artists introduced to fit the gritty theme of DOOM II more than as another type of hazard) while the other has smaller ripples and flashes in a way that's at least as menacing as the apparent glow in green slime. The "brown nukage" is used well in level 4 (the Focus.)

myk said:

The "brown nukage" is used well in level 4 (the Focus.)

Or the source of ultimate evil, the place called the 'Icon of Sin'.

Has to be said - I do find myself dipping into all liquids these days to find out if they're damaging or not, as they're all used inconsistently enough throughout the body of PWADs available for playing.

I also tend to assume that the METAL texture with the lightning bolt symbol on it is always a hidden door or switch unless used a lot in a decorative manner in high-detail maps.

vdgg said:

Nah, the trap in Plutonia MAP23 (megasphere secret) was great. You step on the GATE pad and an arch-vile is released.

Eh, close enough. That trap operates on the player's assumption that it is a teleport pad due to it's appearance.

- Faces must be scrolling and untouchable.
- nukage must hurt! AV MAP01 was a pretty big wtf for me.
- metal textures aren't appealing for me as a sides of big gravel containers. (what the hell, east side of Tenements?)
- walls that are not SUPPORT, PLAT, switches nor really distinguishing textures aren't lifts. Man, how long were I torturing myself with Nirvana before pressing use on that goddamn raising stairs...

In my upcoming project, I have many maps with nukage and blood. In some of them its damaging, in some of them its not. Guess you`ll have to try and find out, bitch.
It`s kinda obvious if it will hurt you or not by the looks of the maps/areas though.

Also, lava is always damaging and water is never damaging.

I'm trying to escape from the thought that doors HAVE to be made of door textures. I've played many wads where secret (and non secret) doors used textures that were different from the rest of the room, but not at all difficult to locate. In fact, even a long dead-end hallway will indicate a door at the end.

40oz said:

I'm trying to escape from the thought that doors HAVE to be made of door textures. I've played many wads where secret (and non secret) doors used textures that were different from the rest of the room, but not at all difficult to locate. In fact, even a long dead-end hallway will indicate a door at the end.

`
I`ve been thinking about that myself lately. I always end up using a door texture, if it`s a door. When I think of it now, I rarely use doors...hmmm.

Ok, what I was going to say was that you can always use a lowering floor or a lift as a "door" instead. I`ve found that many textures works fine for that.

purist said:

Nukage and Lava should always damage, while water should never do so.

And Lava should always do maximum damage, (10 - 20%) while nukage should always do minimum damage (2 - 5%), imho. I know it is not a hard and fast rule, but it is kind of convention.

Just to throw it out there, BLOOD and SLIME flats...damaging or non damaging? Probably the only real answer is situationally based, but in truth it bugs me when a mapset is inconsistent in the way it uses liquid flats. (Yes I'm talking about you Plutonia and your sometimes non damaging NUKAGE !!!)

Plutonia 2 also did this, but that is kind of ok as it was just following the original.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And Lava should always do maximum damage, (10 - 20%) while lava should always do minimum damage (2 - 5%), imho.

This is far too complex for me to comprehend.