Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Doom 2 Re-Imagined by Leon

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?31a31m8wuoeo8oz

My goals in this was to:

Create lvels with similaities to the earlier levels of Doom II by ways such as, Similar difficulty setting,
similar introduction of Monsters, similar weapons, similar textures and similar amount of secrets.

I always created the exits to the levels of Doom II by W1 Exit as I wanted to show the links of each level to
adhere to the storyline. NOTE: Secrets and Monsters will not be located past the exit door.

It includes different difficulty settings for each level.

Thank you to Grey Ghost for all your help :)

Enjoy.

There are some game-breaking problems in MAP 04. I used ZDoom version 2.6.0. The door to the exit cannot be opened from the other side, and the player cannot travel through the exit door due to the sign being too low, which blocks the way. In MAP 03, the specters are blocked, ostensibly by a "block monster" tag, but this renders them harmless as the player can casually stand 2 feet away and gun them down.

Other than that, the maps(1-4) were fairly competent and presented some surprisingly good ideas. The flow of each map allows for a fast-paced blasting style of gameplay, which is fun for me. The outdoor area of MAP 03 and the crate section in MAP 04 were the highlights so far.

Things you might want to work on a bit:

1. Lighting (both variation of light levels and reasoning behind why a sector is lit the way it is.)
2. Texture alignment
3. Detail (don't go overboard, but a bit of detail can't hurt)
4. Difficulty (HINT: You don't have to make the map a slaughter map to increase its difficulty. It's all about monster placement, player movement space, and creative level design.)

Good luck and good work so far!

EDIT: I played through the rest of the maps. MAP 05 had some clever moments, although the waterfalls at the beginning don't work. Might want to check the ANIMDEFS. MAP 06 started strong but got a bit boring towards the end. The final map, MAP 07, had a few interesting ideas but fell short due to the inability to obtain the red key without cheating(probably a design flaw that can be easily remedied using an editor) and the Hell Knight fight at the end, which was made WAY too easy by giving the player an Invincibility Artifact.

Haven't played all the maps yet (quit after falling into an inexcapable nukage pit in Map06 that I could barely see before I was in it) but I like a lot of what I've seen so far, there's some interesting twists on familiar maps. All the same, the wad would have benefitted from some playtesting and feedback before submission to the archive. Shouldn't take long to sort things out and submit an update.

Vordakk said:

There are some game-breaking problems in MAP 04. I used ZDoom version 2.6.0. The door to the exit cannot be opened from the other side, and the player cannot travel through the exit door due to the sign being too low, which blocks the way.

Try crouching, that's how I got through. Better solution would be to raise the sign.

MAP 05 had some clever moments, although the waterfalls at the beginning don't work. Might want to check the ANIMDEFS.

The waterfall's missing a few textures.

GreyGhost said:

Try crouching, that's how I got through.

Yeah, I suppose crouching would do the trick. I tend to frown upon maps which require features(freelook, jump, crouch) that vanilla DOOM didn't have, and yet at the same time look and play much like a vanilla DOOM-style map.

Yes, I've just come here to say that I can't exit map 04. I never attempt to use crouch, jump, etc playing Doom wads unless the author explains in the textfile that such moves will be necessary to completion of the game. This one didn't and that should be corrected (I'd just fix that Exit sign if I were you).

Played through maps 01-03. I actually really liked the style of map03 alot. So far my favorite map. I'll get on to playing the other maps later. Also, whats up with the red bars at the end of map03? You can run past them so easily :P.

Hock said:

Played through maps 01-03. I actually really liked the style of map03 alot. So far my favorite map. I'll get on to playing the other maps later. Also, whats up with the red bars at the end of map03? You can run past them so easily :P.

Really? I tried to make impassable lines for the sides of the bridge, can u actually get through it?

Yep, ran past them quite a few times, but i understand that it wasn't meant to be that way. Though, you might wanna fix that :D

Not really that i noticed, except, of course, the exit sign on map04 that many have already told you about. Otherwise, i don't really see anymore flaws mapping-wise.