Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

About the main character

Is there any indication that it is the same marine as in DooM? Is there indication that the main character will be a marine at all? ANSWERS DAMNIT. My guesses are as follows

Same marine
New marine
U.A.C. civie
Prisoner
Scientist

Any other guesses?

I think it's pretty much a given that you'll be playing a space marine like in the original game. Is it the same space marine as in Doom 1/2? Well, is this game even in the same "universe" as Doom 1/2? And maybe more importantly, does it really matter, since the space marine was never anything more than a TITLEPIC graphic, a face on the status bar, and a guy holding a severed bunny head?

GF3 video's human character looks like the old doom space marine.personally i'd like to see new marine as new main character,and old doom marine as the sergeant of special anti-alien force.their relation should be boss and soldier-in-command.however we know nothing about story(will it be prequel/remade/seque?l or will it set in another universe?)hope id will reveal more info about story soon.

scientist

no, thanks.i don't want another freeman.

Gordon Freeman was a lame hero imo - how the fuck can a scientist who's never seen combat before in his entire life eradicate hordes of aliens and higly trained marines? That's pretty much beyond me.

Dark-tenshi said:

GF3 video's human character looks like the old doom space marine.personally i'd like to see new marine as new main character,and old doom marine as the sergeant of special anti-alien force.their relation should be boss and soldier-in-command.however we know nothing about story(will it be prequel/remade/seque?l or will it set in another universe?)hope id will reveal more info about story soon.

no, thanks.i don't want another freeman.

I want the same Marine from Doom not a new one...

I don't understand some of the Half-Life bashing in these forums. It's debatable wether or not Gordon Freeman is believable as an action game character, yes. But it doesn't always need to be a space marine or a cheesy action hero.

Flathead: By cheesy action hero, do you mean something like Duke Nukem?
Anyway, my type of hero has to be a type who KNOWS about combat - I had a hard time finding Gordon Freeman cool because I know that scientists, even weapon scientists, aren't experienced in combat at all - they would last two seconds in actual combat.
So in other words, my preferred hero type has to either be a soldier of some type, a cop, or just someone who's seen a lot of action (if there's a decent excuse for it).

And no, I wouldn't want a new Doom hero either, because that would be one more thing to remove the game further away from the older games - a good sequel/remake has as many elements (weapons, characters, settings, atmosphere) in common with its predecessor(s) as possible, without making it too similar.
Besides, the old doomguy is imo the coolest hero in ANY id game hands down, why would I want him out of the new game?

Now, if the new Doom game had various marine characters to choose from (kinda like Quake 2), I wouldn't mind these other characters as long as the good ol' Doomguy's available to play as.
And furthermore, why's it so important to be able to play a different character? You can play one of the Quakes for a different character if that's what you want, but the old Doomguy is imo essential to the Doom universe. In a strange way, it wouldn't be Doom without him imo.

you maybe right,DOOM guy should be the main character.

*mini spoiler about Metal gear solid2*

i got the above idea from MGS2,i was a bit surprised that solid snake is not main character,but the new main character is not bad at all.

dsm said:

Gordon Freeman was a lame hero imo - how the fuck can a scientist who's never seen combat before in his entire life eradicate hordes of aliens and higly trained marines? That's pretty much beyond me.

The whole point was that Freeman DIDN'T have any combat experience, and was dropped into the situation without any prior knowledge of what was going on or what he was supposed to do, just like the player was. I think it makes MORE sense than Opposing Force, where you're supposed to play a soldier, despite not having any training in military tactics.

FlatHead said:

I don't understand some of the Half-Life bashing in these forums.

Well I love the modding scene and the DM, just so many damn things wrong about the SP adventure. Freeman was actually one of the only things I liked about it.

Heh, speaking of which, ever see the original Freeman model? *shudders*

Anyway, I think the hero in Doom 3 should be a space marine, just not THE SAME space marine. I'd think the original Doomguy would be driven completely insane after visiting Hell on 2 occasions. I'd like to see the Doom 3 hero meet the Doom 1/2 hero somewhere in the game, except he'd be almost completely unable to communicate, just like in some kind of a permanent half-coma.

Liam the Bard said:

Well I love the modding scene and the DM, just so many damn things wrong about the SP adventure. Freeman was actually one of the only things I liked about it.

Elaborate.

Oh gno not again.

Yeah anyway it doesn't matter if Freeman has military background or not. Afterall it's YOU the one handling the soldiers. Besides there's some obscure background behind this stuff because the G-man says he knew you would be able to pull it off. He's your contractor, the one that shows up as "unknow" in the train intro sequence.

Freeman might be a scientist with his 27 years, but you have absolutely no idea who is he.

"WE" the player/s should be the DooM 3 marine. What I mean by this is that we should be able to customize him to "SUIT OUR PREFERENCES". For example,Imagine the 3Dimage of the Q2 marine's head.(Not the rest of his body.)All marines by tradition are called "JARHEADS",So all marine haircuts will be the same and the 3D head model would basically
be structured the same. NOW,imagine if the ingame has a customization option that allowes YOU(the player)to change the color of the marine's
hair(or decide whether or not the marine should even have any hair!)How about change the color of his eyes(If the the new game would have that superb "ATTENTION TO DETAIL" in their 3D modeled operatives like the Tom Clancy's Rainbow and Rouge Spear series.)Or maybe let him have a mustache or beard or both or maybe that INDIANA JONES unshaven Fuzz. And don't forget that the Q2 marine's head facials weren't all the same either,So we should get some different facial expressions to chose from too.(For the full marine's 3d model,NOT the HUD head model,THAT's another issue entirely!)And most important of all(At least to me!!) What if you can change the complexion of his skin,and we could decide what RACE he is. Black,White,Asian or whatever. I said this time and time again in posts going ways back
talking about my idea about the skin complexion slider bar option I got from the color change option for the Mechs from the "Armored Core" series on the PSX.

One more thing,all said above also aplies for the female marine,if the the game has any,for any of you female doomers out there.(Except for the mustache and beard thing.) heh,heh.......

Heh. I'd play a chick every time. Unless you can make the marine fat, then I'd play me.

dsm said:

Well, he is smart, so he knows how NOT to get killed, plus, it isn't very hard to figure out how to shoot guns and shit.

If the Doom 3 marin's armor looks like the classic Doom armor, I want to be able to skin my armor however I want to. I want to paint, on my shinguard, and arrow pointed down to my boot with the message YOUR ASS HERE.

IMJack said:

If the Doom 3 marin's armor looks like the classic Doom armor, I want to be able to skin my armor however I want to. I want to paint, on my shinguard, and arrow pointed down to my boot with the message YOUR ASS HERE.

I think they should make a thing where you can change things about your skin like in those WWF games for the PSX

Liam the Bard said:

Well I love the modding scene and the DM, just so many damn things wrong about the SP adventure.

You, sir, are so backwards and wrong.

that'd be funny if that's the son of the original Doom marine in the macworld video we saw, or it's the original marine with an elder look on his face with dry skin after battling for 8-10 years ;)

999cop said:

or it's the original marine with an elder look on his face with dry skin after battling for 8-10 years ;)

i also think that he looks a bit older too.

999cop said:

that'd be funny if that's the son of the original Doom marine in the macworld video we saw, or it's the original marine with an elder look on his face with dry skin after battling for 8-10 years ;)

Yeah, with tons of scars and shit too

bigbadgangsta said:

Well, he is smart, so he knows how NOT to get killed, plus, it isn't very hard to figure out how to shoot guns and shit.

Knowing how to fire a gun is only part of surviving battles - tactics are too damn important - besides, how could a scientist handle the mental stress of combat if he's never experienced it before? And no, Gordon Freeman isn't completely unknown, I read a profile of him on planet Half Life some time ago.

What I don't like about him is that he makes the story more "far out" than it already is. It doesn't matter if the player hasn't any marine training or shit like that, what matters about the character is if it makes sence that this person can kill scores of enemies singlehandedly.

And back to the topic on Doom:

Anyway, I think the hero in Doom 3 should be a space marine, just not THE SAME space marine. I'd think the original Doomguy would be driven completely insane after visiting Hell on 2 occasions. I'd like to see the Doom 3 hero meet the Doom 1/2 hero somewhere in the game, except he'd be almost completely unable to communicate, just like in some kind of a permanent half-coma.

And what if the new game's a remake?

About Doom3 main character: He (not she!!!) will be a military man. You know why? Becouse he will know how to use hi-teck guns and combat taktiks. Im not sure that it will the same face. Or the same man, somehow. But im sure that he will kick some ass soon (somewhere near the New Year 2003).

About G. Freeman: You know why he get so expirienced in combat? He used to play Doom...

wasted said:

About G. Freeman: You know why he get so expirienced in combat? He used to play Doom...

Of COURSE, why didn't I think of that??? Stupid me.
*Me slaps self
:-P

Ultimate Demon said:

I want the origian Doomguy...

Heh...I think someone is trying to usurp me.

Zaldron said:

In the end, HL's marines can't even spell "Freeman" right. ^_^

Just goes to show that marines have DooMBoy IQs - yep that's a typical grunt IQ.