Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

Point-and-click interface in Doom?

Has anyone ever attempted some kind of Point-and-click interface in Doom? If so, what was the result; was it very good?

As kind of an example I'd say something like the 3d Tex Murphy games; you could roam the environments and then enter a click interface mode to interact with the game world like you would a Myst-like game.

I've had ideas for a kind of mystery game and would like to use Doom for it.

I imagine it'd be possible with full freelook and using linedefs or items. Something like GZDoom would allow it. Don't forget the flag for height checks on activatable linedefs, and the appropriate activation property on custom "hotspot" things.

You can even go even further and use one of the existing ACS-driven menu systems that have been coded for ZDoom.

I could see that being fun, even just as a TC around the main game. Imagine, having to search scenes for pieces of a gun, before finally putting it all together at a workbench, then going out to shoot demons with it in the action sections.

A cheap solution I was considering is making a weapon that is simply just a cursor in the center of the screen that can only have an effect when fired on certain objects? I suppose the cheapest way is to replace chainsaw, but does it work on "shootable" elements? This is over my head, but I was planning on getting help from my pro-programmer friend.

printz said:

Do you mean like in Doom 3?

I think he was talking about making a kind of point-and-click adventure game (like Grim Fandago) using Doom.

Though in-game screens with which you could interact (as in Doom 3) would be pretty cool, too. Would open possibilities for minigames for 'hacking' consoles, etc.

printz said:

Then why Doom and not a specialized open engine? (hopefully exists)

Why not Doom? Most of the coolest innovations this community has offered us would not exist unless people ignored that question.

EarthQuake said:

No, I think he means like a point-and-click adventure.

I'm shitting this idea out of my head right now but:

A fixed actor angle looking at a predetermined scenario. All the clickables are monsters/decorations. The mouse is a weapon firing a continuous stream of invisible pixels. When the clickable is selected, they enter their pain state (fired upon by pixels), which is like a yellow highlight or something. Primary fire shoots something that deals 99999 damage and makes the object disappears. A basic ACS script checks for it and adds to inventory.

Of course, all that is with bending DECORATE instead of some basic ACS :P

I am all for this, and I know it is indeed possible.

Disable Keyboard.

With scripts, make it teleport the DoomGuy (no teleportation animation of course) in tiny increments so as to make it appear he is moving.

Obviously, clicking on certain coordinates in the map(s) would activate various scripts, and use the inventory system/keys, ammo being used for currency?

Having dome some ACS a really long time ago, I can say it is an EXTREMELY powerful scripting language, and countless ideas can come to life because of it (such as TurboCharged!)

I should clarify: I still want full 3d movement, but I also want you to be able to pause movement and be able to use the mouse to click on things to interact with them.

Although alternately I suppose pausing is not necessary; picture like Amnesia or HL2, interacting with your environment in real time with the use key. The com screens like Doom 3 would be useful in this scenario too.

Technician said:

Why not Doom? Most of the coolest innovations this community has offered us would not exist unless people ignored that question.

Because of the simplistic 3D graphics that Doom has, in comparison to either full 3D model or full 2D artwork that actual point-n-click games have.

If I were concerned with visual detail I wouldn't be considering using the Doom engine in the first place.

hex11 said:

Personally, I'd do it in AGI. ;-)

AGS is another good option. But preferably, I'd like to see it in the DOOM Engine.

This may be offtopic, but this is my 500th POST!! In 7 and a half years.

hex11 said:

Personally, I'd do it in AGI. ;-)

I would totally love to see a "Doom Quest" game made in AGI. That would be awesome.