Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Futurama Memes on TV

I was watching a standup special on Comedy Central the other day, when some ads popped up advertising Futurama's seventh season. Lo' and behold, I saw some familiar unfunny pics and phrases that really are best left alone.

You can read about it here.

I'm this close to pulling the trigger.

i'm okay with it. i think it's kind of cool, actually. the meme usage at the beginning of e1 was funny. futurama is usually fairly tasteful and i'm not hip enough to start hating it for jumping a certain bandwagon.

dew said:

futurama is usually fairly tasteful and i'm not hip enough to start hating it for jumping a certain bandwagon.

The recent episodes and direct to video movies are bland and, sometimes, horrible.

mr exercise was watching tv?

what has this world come to?

If you'd be so kind 40, before you pull the trigger, if you could send me "wifey" thinly sliced, in an assortment of sandwich bags I'd appreciate it. You know, don't want all that good meat to go to waste.

On topic, this doesn't bug me. Honestly there is much more offensive stuff going on, like Nickolodeon making a Fred show and Cartoon Network responding by making a show for Annoying Orange.

I saw a Futurama episode where they had a sign outside a shop and it had DOS ASCII characters on it. I thought that was a good reference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the meme shown here has much to do with Futurama itself. That is to say, it seems to have been a choice by advertisers to promote the show on their network, and not an actual shot from a new episode.

I don't see Fry becoming a squinty version of Urkel (with his "did I do thaaat?" /nasal voice). Futurama certainly isn't against recurring gags, callbacks, or one-liners, but they generally keep things pretty fresh.

At least they did for the first couple seasons I saw... Maybe things have changed.

40oz said:

I'm this close to pulling the trigger.

Did you even read the article you linked? None of that footage is in Season 7. All Comedy Central did was take previous footage and retool it.

If this bothers you to suicide, seek help.

I wasn't talking any shit on new episodes of futurama. I'm talking about...

(reads the thread title)

Yes, futurama memes being on TV. I guess the few words I used in my post could imply that I was talking about futurama itself, but I like futurama. Funny how quick you guys are to try and make me feel stupid about myself. Check my custom title before you submit reply.

I gotta admit, the stupid internet's incursion into the previously more stupid realm of television is rather disturbing, but expected. I did laugh at the ThunderLOLCats sketch on Mad TV (cartoon) though.

God bless the dying non-interactive medium's attempts to look like it's still relevant. I gave up watching TV because all my mundane, chewing-gum-for-the-brain entertainment is a simple Google search away (if that). If I did watch, I doubt a lame attempt to seem 'with it' would entice me to watch new Futurama. I have the first four series, movies turned me off big-time.

Mind, I tend to hate memes anyway. Yeah.

TV and Internet are pretty much destined to be merged, anyways. Maybe not in the immediate future, but these days comedy tends to stem more and more from well-known memes and the ability use Google to look up that super-smart reference they totally just made on this super-hip show... Which, you know, works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

This particular instance really isn't that all that bothersome to me. I'm not a big meme-bumper myself, but this is Advertising 101. One of the best ways to draw the attention of the general populace is to use something that the general populace has approved of in some way or another. It'll draw eyes and, in some cases, a nod of approval.

I really feel like the only people this would really bother are the people who find memes completely unbearable in the first place.

Relic said:

...memes now days are turning to the shit...

You say that as if they've not always been shit? Generally speaking, they are the lowest form of humour you'll see on the internet and incredibly rarely actually worth a chuckle.

I've always found it a bit silly how outraged people get over stuff which is simply not funny.

If I watch a stand-up comedian who falls a bit flat, I don't start hurling tomatoes at the screen.

Jimmy91 said:

I've always found it a bit silly how outraged people get over stuff which is simply not funny.

If I watch a stand-up comedian who falls a bit flat, I don't start hurling tomatoes at the screen.

**hurls tomatoes at computer**

Futurama has become a parody of itself.

I'm quite liking the new series so far. The 5th episode isn't quite as good as the first four, though (imo). The internet meme thing is of little consequence to me.

A few episodes have put me to sleep this season. I thought last season was pretty bad. :-( It pains me. Maybe in 2 years I'll be like OMG they're all so awesome! But for right now.... slowly going down hill.

I wonder if it's at all possible for memes to appear outside of the Internet and not be perceived as a desperate attempt to appear "with it."

GoatLord said:

I wonder if it's at all possible for memes to appear outside of the Internet and not be perceived as a desperate attempt to appear "with it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

The term was actually created well before the internet. The concept of a meme itself just spreads to internet culture as well.