Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Worst/ most annoying monster?

Probsbly many boards like this before but I want to know. For me it's Pain Elementals. Although they show how Souls are created, I just think they're frustrating monsters in game play.

It's funny, becasue I've noticed the most annoying monsters are the most interesting to map with.

Chain-gunners and revenants are the two most annoying and dangerous monsters; I essentially use them as turrets. You can pretty much dodge any projectile by most groups of monsters except, of course, groups of seeking missiles and hit-scan streams of chain-gun bullets.

Revenants suck, because I can almost never kill them in two Super Shotgun blasts.

This is a very common thread subject which I find to be interesting because I don't find any of the monsters to be annoying. I do however find some mappers use of monsters to be annoying. I never get annoyed when I play through vanilla Doom & Doom II.

Centaurs. Oh god it takes forever for them to lower their shield for one millisecond and then raise it back.

I find Arch-Viles to be annoying in the sense they're the monster I want to encounter the least because they're powerful, slow to kill with an SSG even (And that I'm usually trying to stay at a distance in order to have cover from their attacks), but at the smae time this also make the Arch-VIle my favorite monster.

Otherwise, I hate the seekers on Revs, though I suppose the only time I find the monster annoying per-say is when they're used as distant turrets, because then they're hard to hit and the spray rockets at you from there.

From other games Nitro Golems fro similar reasons to the Rev (Though their missiles don't track as well).

Maybe the Doom64 Pain Elemental and Lost Soul, or it's not so much the Pain Elemental spawning 2 at a time, it's that the Lost Souls fly so fast that they're almost instantly at my face, and often there's so many of them, that I'm half stuck in them.

Clonehunter said:

And that I'm usually trying to stay at a distance in order to have cover from their attacks

There's your problem. One close shot with the BFG or a few close range blasts with the SSG and they're dead. I also think they're EASIER to take cover from when you're close. You only have to be behind something for a second and they're obviously not moving while they're attacking. I have a lot more trouble when I need to fight them at a distance.

I used to find lost souls insufferable, and for a while found barons to be a chore in Doom 2 because of their health-to-threat ratio, but mapping has really helped me understand just how many different ways each monster in the game can be used. None of them annoy me, though using a mastermind in a proper situation is a mapping skill that still eludes me.

Lost Souls just drive me crazy. If they have to be in the game, I wish Pain Elementals would spawn them a little slower. They're glitchy, never much of a threat and completely unsatisfying to kill (even ignoring the fact that they don't count toward 100% kills).

I have a lot of trouble with Revenants but I don't consider them a detriment to the game like Lost Souls. They do get misused a lot. I hate seeing more than one or two and I don't think they should ever be used where you can't find appropriate cover.

One of the most annoying monsters in Doom has to be the revenant because of how they punch you when you get too close and how they have homing missiles that follow you. This means if you run away from a homing missile and try to hide, it can turn and hit you.

Another enemy that annoys me is the Arch-vile because of how it can resurrect monsters and have an ability to burn you when you stand in its way.

Sometimes Chaingunners annoy me because some of them can be hard to reach and can snipe you from a far distance.

It sounds like some of your are saying "XYZ monster annoys me because of its attacks." That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Cacodemons annoy me because their shots are slow enough to back into after dodging them initially. Otherwise it's all good in this hood.

The pain elementals annoy me the most, just cause they spawn lost souls, which are the 2nd most annoying monster.

It depends too much on the map and how the monsters are placed. For example, I find barons annoying when they are used in pack, especially in Ultimate Doom where we don't have a super shotgun. Though that's mitigated if there's a BFG and a lot of cellpacks.

On the whole, there's no Doom (II) monster that I find especially annoying. Sure, arch-viles, pain elementals, hitscanners, and revenants are eliminated in priority; but that doesn't mean they are annoying.

Outside of Doom itself, though: the centaurs, stalkers, and the Heresiarch from Hexen. The reason is pretty much the same: they spend most of their time being invincible (raising their shield, disappearing under water, or protected by their spell) which makes combat with them more like a game of whack-a-mole where you are waiting for the right moment to strike. Slaughtaurs are the worse since it's hard to tell whether they're protecting or attacking.

In Strife, it'd be the ceiling turrets. They are tiny, hard to see, and precise. Though you can exploit their inability to shoot right below themselves.

In Heretic, I kinda dislike the Nitrogolems because their projectiles are too noisy. It's useful that you can tell a homing missile is closing in, but it quickly becomes cacophonous. Otherwise, they're all cool.

Anything that flies and/or has slow projectiles. Cacodemons in particular, although easy to kill, have to be some of the most infuriating to try and lure into more manageable areas when bottlenecking a crowd, because they'll just float around freely like a discarded plastic bag and end up stuck in some opening high-up somewhere, only to suddenly reappear out of nowhere and bite the back of my fucking head off while I'm otherwise busy shooting up bits of fodder.

Bastards.

Gez said:

Though you can exploit their inability to shoot right below themselves.

Don't you need GZDoom or another 3D engine to shoot them back from there?

printz said:

Don't you need GZDoom or another 3D engine to shoot them back from there?

Yep, actually if you are underneath and within about 128 units or so. It can't hit you and you can't hit it (well some of the Sigil variants may be able to catch it), even though you may well be able to get the turret clearly visible on the screen.

The increased freelook of ports like GZDoom naturally changes that though (i.e allows you to hit them, but they still can't hit you).

qoncept said:

There's your problem. One close shot with the BFG or a few close range blasts with the SSG and they're dead. I also think they're EASIER to take cover from when you're close. You only have to be behind something for a second and they're obviously not moving while they're attacking. I have a lot more trouble when I need to fight them at a distance.

Firstly, I never use the BFG on anything other than Cybers, Spidermasterminds, and groups of Barons. Mainly because for lower monsters I just find the BFG no fun to use, and for short range blasts, especially in open areas, they're usually attacking me as I run up to them, and upon hitting them, their painchance doesn't always activate, so either I have to reel back to cover that isn't a sprite (Which isn't always available or close enough to get too.) This is mostly custom maps, and Archs do only take about four or three SSG hits, but either way it isn't always that easy. Especially when they're more than two.

Clonehunter said:

Firstly, I never use the BFG on anything other than Cybers, Spidermasterminds, and groups of Barons. Mainly because for lower monsters I just find the BFG no fun to use, and for short range blasts, especially in open areas, they're usually attacking me as I run up to them, and upon hitting them, their painchance doesn't always activate, so either I have to reel back to cover that isn't a sprite (Which isn't always available or close enough to get too.) This is mostly custom maps, and Archs do only take about four or three SSG hits, but either way it isn't always that easy. Especially when they're more than two.

I very rarely find Arch Viles that don't have some kind of cover nearby. One of the most annoying are the pair in Barrels of Fun - too far to shoot with a shotgun or to even autoaim, and they're too fast to hit with rockets unless you're lucky.

I find the BFG is very worthwhile on Viles. Eliminate the threat quick. Not crazy about saving them for cybers or masterminds because they take too long to fire, and you have to stay exposed and watch to get the full effect.

Whenever there are 2 viles though, all bets are off.

Yah two viles maybe if a BFG is ready. I just like saving the BFG though, and not too huge of a fan of insta kills (I think Archs only take a single direct BFG blast). I just prefer using it for Cybs and Spiders still though cuz it's pretty quick and I don't like having to fight them with other weapons as I feel working on one monster too long kind of slows the game down. But thats just my opinion.

It depends on where a vile is, too. If he's in a room with a window and there's only a small area he can attack, I'll leave him alone longer. Especially if he's surrounded by sergeants. Keep killing them and get a ton of shotgun shells.

When I don't know where a vile is though, that's pretty horribly annoying. Even worse is when they are completely hidden just to respawn chaingunners. But overall I find them easier to deal with than revenants.

Clonehunter said:

Yah two viles maybe if a BFG is ready. I just like saving the BFG though, and not too huge of a fan of insta kills (I think Archs only take a single direct BFG blast).

Yeah. The Cyberdemon is the only monster with enough hit points to be guaranteed to survive a point-blank BFG hit. The Spiderdemon will usually take two as well, though you can get it in a single blast in ZDoom if you're lucky, thanks to the fixed blockmap trace.

There are some maps where arch-viles are placed on a teleport pedestal, so that you activate something, they wake up, and are set loose somewhere in the map. Epic 2 MAP28 has a trio of them in a room. With good timing (starting to shoot before you activate the switch), you can kill them right on the pedestal before they teleport away to revive the 1200 monsters you've already killed once.

qoncept said:

When I don't know where a vile is though, that's pretty horribly annoying. Even worse is when they are completely hidden just to respawn chaingunners. But overall I find them easier to deal with than revenants.

When it just me and a Rev in a room I can deal with them pretty seamlessly. Turret Revenants though are shit.

And yes, the ones you can hear, but can't seem to find, I find are grating on the nerves. I think this mostly in part to the sounds they make.

Gez said:

There are some maps where arch-viles are placed on a teleport pedestal, so that you activate something, they wake up, and are set loose somewhere in the map. Epic 2 MAP28 has a trio of them in a room. With good timing (starting to shoot before you activate the switch), you can kill them right on the pedestal before they teleport away to revive the 1200 monsters you've already killed once.

It's called Epic 2? Need some more maps to try out... Though, a room like that, I could use the tips there.

No DOOM monsters annoy me. They are all different and thus require different attack strategies, but that doesn't make them annoying. They represent a problem(their existence) to be solved(terminating them). If you as a gamer are genuinely annoyed by a certain in-game monster, you might want to try a different game.

Only things in Doom (somewhat) that bug me, are HD's Healer Imps at times.
Luckily they've been balanced in recent updates, so all is good.

the most annoying monster for me is the baron of hell - its so tedious to kill with anything smaller than a rocket launcher, yet doesnt feel dangerous enough to waste the big guns on