Find results in...
printz

Did they teach you religion in school?

Did you get religion in school?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get religion in school?

• Yes, mandatorily!
    • Yes, optionally.
    • Nope, not in school. It\\\'s all secularized here.

I'm curious, did you people have lessons of religion taught during school? Or was it only preached at the worship place, if you wanted to go there?

I did have orthodox christian religion classes all the way through school for 12 years. I think it was mandatory, too, but there weren't people of other religions around, so it was fine. Luckily I knew from the beginning they're just tales about Christ doing wonders, being painfully executed and then miraculously coming back alive; besides that I was assured by my family that God doesn't exist. I was raised atheistic but I think these compulsory courses have turned me into an agnostic :P (I'm more tolerant of religion than my family). The courses were all free 10s ("A" grade givers), not medieval intolerant whipslaps.

Do you find it outrageous of any religion to get taught in schools, along with mathematics, history etc., instead of being preached only in worship places? Authorities have been trying to remove icons (images of Christ or His Mother) from schools, but I don't know if they made it... I should check but I'm lazy.

I had religious education classes, but not preached to. The weird thing was that for the majority of my RE classes, I was taught every religion except Christianity. But hey I live in politically correct England.

God doesn't belong anywhere near a science classroom.

To answer the question though, I was "taught" Christianity in primary school in the sense that most of the teachers were Christians and at times we had to listen to various stories about Jesus during assembly. I'd hardly call it an indoctrination though. But in secondary school Religious Studies was optional, and wasn't centred around any given religion.

The assumption is probably that you don't need to learn anything more about Christianity, because you're already immersed in a Christian society.

Which is kind of silly when you think about it - after all, they still teach English. There's a lot about religions that you might never know until you really dig into it.

The different popes, sects, and spinoffs alone could easily fill out a whole course... Actually, I can see how that might be touchy among practicing Christians.

Anyway, absolutely zero mention of religion, even comparative religion, where I was schooled.

I went to a Private Chirstian school, then I went to high school. "Bible Class" as we called it was ever day every grade at the Private school

I had a very similar experience with printz, not surprising given the supremacy of the Orthodox Church in Greece, and the fact that there's no state-church separation. Hell, the Ministry of Education is still called "Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs". I wonder if it's that way in all Orthodox countries.

There were semi-compulsory church attendances now and then, and of course the beginning of every school year was "blessed" by a priest in the yard. If I recall correctly, every individual student was also blessed with a sprinkle of Holy Water from a priest visiting classrooms :-D

I had nearly forgotten about all that crap, until I served my military term, where the Church was all over the place, once again. The army has much closer ties with the Church, too, and we were preached to, made to attend various functions and ceremonies, handed religious material etc. at every opportunity.

Not in my normal public school, but for heretical quasi-catholic families such as mine that didn't send their children to a proper catholic school you could go to CCD classes at the church a couple hours a week. I had to suffer through that shit for about a decade...

I went to a Lutheran parochial school for part of kindergarten, but otherwise my schooling has been secular. I have very few memories of the christian school but I do remember not really giving a shit about the religious stuff. Thankfully that was pretty much the extent of my religious exposure aside from going to mass once in a while with my dad. My family belonged to the Lutheran church in general, but it was never really a topic that came up so my childhood was mostly god free.

printz said:

I did have orthodox christian religion classes all the way through school for 12 years. I think it was mandatory, too, but there weren't people of other religions around, so it was fine. Luckily I knew from the beginning they're just tales about Christ doing wonders, being painfully executed and then miraculously coming back alive; besides that I was assured by my family that God doesn't exist. I was raised atheistic but I think these compulsory courses have turned me into an agnostic :P (I'm more tolerant of religion than my family).

I don't know where you're from, but I'm pretty sure that unless it's a private school there is no religion taught in schools. Is it safe to assume you didn't grow up in America then; if not why the hell did your non-religious family have you go to a christian school?

In third grade I had a Jewish teacher, and she took some time one winter to give us an overview of Judaism. But it was pretty simple and we mostly just learned that some people have Hanukkah instead of Christmas. I actually enjoyed that unit, not least of which was because we had some really tasty potato pancakes one day.

High school had some overviews of religion, but it was also pretty high level stuff. Like, I remember having some introductory lessons on Buddhism when we read Siddhartha. Basically it was just enough to get some historical context.

Most of my religion-based classes came in college, and were all optional and non-preachy. The one I remember really well was my Japanese Religions class, which I took while I was in Japan.

printz said:

I'm curious, did you people have lessons of religion taught during school? Or was it only preached at the worship place, if you wanted to go there?

Yep. Here in the UK, religious instruction is mandatory. Every morning we had an assembly where hymns were sung, though from memory, apart from the hymns I don't recall a huge amount of actual religious content to the assemblies. I think they typically just consisted of the headmaster or one of his deputies rambling on for half an hour. Suffice it to say that by the time we were teenagers, my friends and I had long ago stopped bothering to sing the hymns.

At least one of the schools I attended had some kind of affiliation with the church (described as "Church of England aided") but I don't really know what that actually amounted to. On some occasions (eg. Christmas) we would be taken the nearby cathedral.

I don't remember any actual religious instruction in primary school. I think we may have learned about religions but it wasn't a case of indoctrination. In secondary school we had R.E. (religious education) classes weekly - the teacher was actually a vicar. He was later fired for having an affair with a student.

Although he was a vicar, he didn't really use the class as a pulpit to preach to us, though I recall him warning us about supernatural dangers that now seem completely laughable and absurd to me - for example, that if you use a ouija board it will "open doorways" by which evil spirits will be drawn to you.

Do you find it outrageous of any religion to get taught in schools, along with mathematics, history etc., instead of being preached only in worship places? Authorities have been trying to remove icons (images of Christ or His Mother) from schools, but I don't know if they made it... I should check but I'm lazy.

I think it's absolutely wrong for schools to be used to promote religions, and inappropriate for them to have religious displays. The government should be a neutral entity in these matters - that's the essence of secularism.

In the UK we've ended up going down an unfortunate path where we have "Church of England schools" and then, to be fair, had to give other religions their own schools as well - so there are Catholic and Muslim schools too. It's hard to think of how you might devise a more culturally divisive system, and now we're seeing things like this.

fraggle said:

Yep. Here in the UK, religious instruction is mandatory.

My secondary school must have broken the law then. Besides the obligatory visit to church at Christmas to sing a few hymns I don't recall ever singing one in assembly. And RE wasn't taught to us until we were of the 14-15 age bracket (as a GCSE), and then it was optional.

That said, it's entirely possible my memory is failing me here. I hated school with an untold passion and when the day came that it was all over was the day that I forced a lot of memories of it out of my mind, possibly including an entire subject that I was taught for several consecutive years.

Got some in one of the schools I have been at. They asked me to colorize a picture of Jesus. Given the picture back with a beautiful purple skin on the Great Dude. They didn't like it and told me he had a white skin. Been a lot less focused on those classes from this day.

Only Preschool, and with stupid felt-board things with two trees, one orange and one apple. I had the weird idea that fruit would make me sinful so I didn't eat them. My mother was not thrilled.

But as America turns into 'Murica, I'm sure someone will have a different story.

The ONLY time I remember anything regarding prayer was first grade until the state forced the teacher to stop. Heh. In reality, they sent out a state-wide letter saying that, due to lawsuits, the state couldn't afford any more teachers doing anything that implied one religion over the other. in the late 90s this was some big deal in Alabama for some reason.

Technician said:

Yes I have; I went through the Catholic education system.

It was surprising not as dogmatic as one would assume.

You know what's funny? Everyone I know personally that is gay... went to a Catholic school. not implying anything but I'm just saiyan.

Csonicgo said:

not implying anything but I'm just saiyan.

Csonicgo said:

You know what's funny? Everyone I know personally that is gay... went to a Catholic school. not implying anything but I'm just saiyan.

There were very few people who actually took any of the religious elements seriously. And those that did were mainly the new-age evangelical kind.

Thinking back, I remember there were three notable homosexuals in my school; two of which were stereotypical flamers and the other was a one surgery away from being a female. Interestingly, the school never showed any concern for them, but I chalk that up to being Canadian and not American.

yukib1t said:

In third grade I had a Jewish teacher, and she took some time one winter to give us an overview of Judaism. But it was pretty simple and we mostly just learned that some people have Hanukkah instead of Christmas. I actually enjoyed that unit, not least of which was because we had some really tasty potato pancakes one day.

I'm shocked one of your Christian classmate's parents didn't demand said teacher was fired, while simotaniously pushing for prayer in school, of course.

What country are you from?

EDIT: Good one, Maes.

Nomad said:

I don't know where you're from, but I'm pretty sure that unless it's a private school there is no religion taught in schools. Is it safe to assume you didn't grow up in America then; if not why the hell did your non-religious family have you go to a christian school?

Romania, and they were regular schools. Anyway, all religion courses were relaxing, short, easy and actually somewhat interesting, telling things from New or Old Testament in a kid-friendly way (no disturbing stuff like Job or Revelation), and singing carols together in class before Christmas. Some of the teachers have been excellent at their job. Sign of the Cross and praying were done at the start and end of every course. No stuff more involved, except for occasionally travelling to the church to light candles and kiss icons (which I avoided once I was warned I could get infected on the mouth).

I don't think religion was as hardcore as for Maes, even if it's still unclear whether I live in a secular state, considering they're still arresting witches (obvious ones, not suspected ones like in Middle Ages, and not all the time) and building the Second Biggest Cathedral in the World for tax money, next to the Biggest Parliament :)

I kinda like orthodox churches, their walls are fully painted with icons, it's possible to find easter eggs (no pun intended) among them :P

DoomUK said:

My secondary school must have broken the law then. Besides the obligatory visit to church at Christmas to sing a few hymns I don't recall ever singing one in assembly. And RE wasn't taught to us until we were of the 14-15 age bracket (as a GCSE), and then it was optional.

I expect it's treated differently in different schools. Did you have daily morning assemblies at least? There have been calls to abandon the collective worship law in recent years. I remember reading recently that some schools are already technically violating the law and not bothering to do it any more. Abolishing it would be a step in the right direction - what's really needed is a proper separation of church and state in this matter.

yukib1t said:

Yeah, I should have clarified in my previous post - I don't think there's anything wrong with learning *about* religions - it's a perfectly relevant thing to be learning about. You have to distinguish between "teaching religion" and "teaching about religion". One is indoctrination, the other is education.

printz said:

I'm curious, did you people have lessons of religion taught during school?

Yes, from first grade to high school. Although towards the end the focus shifted from teaching Christianity to other religions, ethics and a mix of religion and philosophy. If you weren't Lutheran Christian you'd either get classes for your religion or just generic "life education". There's currently an ongoing movement among teachers and some politicians to get religion out of school, which I don't really agree with. Although not too many Finnish people are really religious, the religion is still a significant part of the cultural identity we definitely should be taught about it. Preaching religion is schools is certainly bad, but teaching about them objectively is just as important as teaching history is.

Only class I can think of that taught religion was Mythology class (which also talked about Christianity some) in high school and that was an optional class.

fraggle said:

Did you have daily morning assemblies at least?

Yeah, but I can't honestly recall one of them (in secondary school) having anything to do with religion at all. I seem to remember them basically consisting of announcements about school and one of the teachers giving a monologue on life skills.

Yes, some. The class was actually called "Christianity". Learned a few stories from the bible and shit. "who did that, who said that, bla bla bla".

It was optional though. If your parents agreed you could take a class of...uhm, "wthics and other religions" instead. the direct translation of the class would be "World View" or something.

State and church were not separated in Norway until a couple of months ago, actually.

AND, I and everyone of my age were the last ones to have "Christianity" as a subject. Everyone born in 1984 or later had that "Ethics and religions"-class instead. Mandatory.

Only in 6th and 7th grade when I went to a Catholic private school. But the cathequism classes there were few because the (Irish) priest that headed them was having health issues or something.

You ask whether I think it's okay to have religious teachings in school? In public school available for everyone, it's not appropriate, only in private ones.

Clonehunter said:

I went to a Private Chirstian school, then I went to high school. "Bible Class" as we called it was ever day every grade at the Private school

This. I spent 1st to 3rd grade in a private christian school and we sang christian songs at assemblies and with the 3 pledges we had to do every morning and had a bible class alongside our other subjects.

I assume the poll is asking about public school though, so I voted no.

printz said:

I don't think religion was as hardcore as for Maes, even if it's still unclear whether I live in a secular state, considering they're still arresting witches (obvious ones, not suspected ones like in Middle Ages, and not all the time) and building the Second Biggest Cathedral in the World for tax money, next to the Biggest Parliament :)

What the hell? Please elaborate. Please double elaborate on who is an "obvious witch".

fraggle said:

Yeah, I should have clarified in my previous post - I don't think there's anything wrong with learning *about* religions - it's a perfectly relevant thing to be learning about. You have to distinguish between "teaching religion" and "teaching about religion". One is indoctrination, the other is education.

Yeah, you can give every detail in existance about a religion (well, provided you're teaching the curriculum correctly), but the second you suggest it's true or false or "better" than other religions is when you've broken the law.

I'm sure none of us are in support of religious indoctrination in schools. The big thing though is making sure people's religion doesn't get in the way of teaching other subjects. Evolution is of course the main subject that comes to mind. It shouldn't be taught that there is any substantial evidence for anything but evolution, no matter what anyone's religious devotion is.

Canadian provinces usually have this awful system where the Catholics are magically permitted to have their own school board so they can force religion on students. It should be outlawed.

The public schools evolved from Protestant (generally Lutheran) schools into secular schools a long time ago. Schools that institute things like prayer tend to get sued.

They told us a bit about various religions in school on occasion. Usually it was because it was near Christmas or Hannukah. If there was a kid from a different religion we tended to learn more about that, either because it was interesting or because his mom complained about something they found offensive.

The best one was when my native friend's mom objected to the motivational handout we got for writing a report in grade 5. It had an owl climbing a staircase with each step being a stage in the process (idea, outline, rough draft, etc.). Sounds good, right? Owls are wise (why?) and symbols of learning! Well, apparently in some (all?) native religions they're symbols of pain and agony, so having them climb to the top is bad. The teacher made us destroy the handouts. That was bullshit.

There are occasionally schools catering to other religions too. Somehow we have a public Jewish school. I hate it for existing.

I received minor amounts of education about various religions in my 7th and 9th grade lit classes, but that was about it, or at the very least all I can remember. My 9th grade bio class made minor references to the debates between creationists and those who accept the theory of evolution, but those bits were there mostly just to describe their presence.

Nope. In spite of living in one of the most conservative, Midwest-suburbia areas there is, religion was kept far away from public school. At least, that is, from an education standpoint. If a student died, though, there'd be a moment of silence to "pray" for said student and family. So, I guess they just assumed everyone went to church and all's well that ends well.

We had more important classes anyways. The all-important (optional) walking-fitness class, for example. Never took it, but I here the final exam consisted of "walking techniques" that you've learned from walking any day that the weather cooperated.

Sounds like a monster course.

Aliotroph? said:

Canadian provinces usually have this awful system where the Catholics are magically permitted to have their own school board so they can force religion on students. It should be outlawed.

I agree, no religion should take dominance over education. Especially seeing as religions like to cherry pick what's taught.

I wish Canada would close Catholic schools, mainly so Islam and other segregations will stop pushing for their own. Might as well mix the cultures. Something most people find scary.

Aliotroph? said:

The best one was when my native friend's mom objected to the motivational handout we got for writing a report in grade 5. It had an owl climbing a staircase with each step being a stage in the process (idea, outline, rough draft, etc.). Sounds good, right? Owls are wise (why?) and symbols of learning! Well, apparently in some (all?) native religions they're symbols of pain and agony, so having them climb to the top is bad. The teacher made us destroy the handouts. That was bullshit.

That aboriginal should be upset, her taxes pay for that scho-- Oh wait....

I'm shocked one of your Christian classmate's parents didn't demand said teacher was fired, while simotaniously pushing for prayer in school, of course.

What country are you from?[/B]

Looking back, I am too, actually...

I'm from the US, Colorado specifically. Still here, too.