Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

skipper.wad: goofy little map

To take my mind off another project I decided to whip up this little map. halfway through I was tempted to call it "Fortress of Clashing Colors" but the green and orange thing is starting to grow on me...

I was aiming for a fun easy/moderate map. Difficulty levels not implemented. Tested in PrBoom+ (cl9), and gzdoom.

Bonus points if you know what the music is from :D

Download:
skipper.wad (minor update 7/20/2012)

Screens:

FDA
No idea what happened at the end but I didn't like it. The rest was cool: interesting kinda unusual visuals and some nice tricks with silent teleports.

This map was awesome with all its surprises and unique visuals! I died a few times (especially during that huge onslaught of enemies shortly before the end), but it kept me motivated to play trough all of it again. The idea with the changing theme of the same corridors and the resulting "puzzles" were great. I also liked the music, but I have no idea where it could be from. Something from the NES, maybe?

I see there's an ANIMDEFS lump, but since it's also for Boom, shouldn't you have an ANIMATED lump as well?

The door activated by the switch in the second screenshot has its door track pegged.

Memfis said:

FDA
No idea what happened at the end but I didn't like it. The rest was cool: interesting kinda unusual visuals and some nice tricks with silent teleports.

Yah in the big imp room I was afraid that it might not have been obvious you can fall and die. maybe I'll give the platform edges a bit of color.

MSPaintR0cks said:

This map was awesome with all its surprises and unique visuals! I died a few times (especially during that huge onslaught of enemies shortly before the end), but it kept me motivated to play trough all of it again. The idea with the changing theme of the same corridors and the resulting "puzzles" were great. I also liked the music, but I have no idea where it could be from. Something from the NES, maybe?

Thanks! glad you liked it. Also NES is right, whenever I play that game the track gets stuck in my head for days.

Gez said:

I see there's an ANIMDEFS lump, but since it's also for Boom, shouldn't you have an ANIMATED lump as well?

The door activated by the switch in the second screenshot has its door track pegged.

Indeed, throwing together and ANIMATED lump is on my todo list, but for this wad I don't think I used any of the newly animated textures. Good catch on the door.

EDIT:
map updated with a few little fixes:
- the aforementioned doortracks
- removed some of the monsters from the last 2 encounters (imp room / bfg room) on lower difficulties)
- made the imp room more obvious that you can fall:

Fun and interesting/excellent design. Only thing I had a gripe with was no place to hide from the AV in the last fight, and that it felt a bit cramped. Imp battle was entertaining.

If there's at least one thing I like about all these forums, it would have to be all of Memfis's demos. Seriously man, don't stop making those.

As for the map: what I saw in the demo looked really cool, but I'd make the end room's toxic floor one level less in terms of damaging. Love the dimension shifting going on. While I respect it using the standard R/G/B color scheme, a part in the back of my head was hoping to see some of Doom's infamous doody water (well, it could be something totally different but it's what I called it when I first saw it as a twerp on his grandpa's lap, and it's still what I call it now!).

The brown area could stand apart from the R/G/B areas; almost like an advanced area in terms of difficulty. Unique.