Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

I can assure you that there are better things to complain about with that map set than that screen shot, or even that level.

There indeed are (such as the multiple insta-death surprise traps on the first map), but I kind of thought that screenshot would be sufficient.

Do we do anti-votes here? We should make that a thing. :P

Shouldn't we be keeping the discussion down to a minimum? We are supposed to use this thread to nominate wads that the community feels are deserving of an cacoward.

Captain Ventris said:

The playable area is a single, winding path. Almost anything other than copy-pasting rows of hundreds of torches should have been done there. It's almost as bad as just using a quarter-mile stretch of linehorizon.

But they look cool. :)

Never mind though, anything with lots of insta-death traps should be automatically barred from a cacoward. :P

Memfis said:

Totally awesome Skepland didn't get a 2011 cacoward for some reason, but you guys now have a chance to fix this horrible mistake since the wad was recently updated with a new map.

This.

Processingcontrol said:

Never mind though, anything with lots of insta-death traps should be automatically barred from a cacoward. :P

The fact that you can break MAP03 and MAP04 (like I did when doing my /newstuff review) would be the real killer for me. The author is also working on a new version, which may perhaps be more elgible.

Memfis for "Mapper of the Year". He has a keen eye for gameplay, an immediately recognizable style and is consistently improving.

Second nomination for Base Ganymede complete, very cool OG Doom episode that's challenging with unified aesthetics and gameplay.

Also second Nomination for ALT, great imaginative Russian megaWAD.

scalliano said:

I'll second that. It was great and the gimmickiness of the 1024 thing didn't hurt the gameplay. Pretty inventive puzzles to get some of the secrets, I really liked for example the way the secret level is reached. Also the way it's possible to see monsters outside the arena swarming toward a teleporter and to shoot them before they reach it, in one of the last few maps, was pretty cool.

Thus far, from what I've played (not too much, but just enough), these are those that have stood out:

Coffee Break by Matt Tropiano. Just 11 well-designed maps with a lot of fun to be had.

Base Ganymede: Complete by Khorus - Now that it's complete, it should really get a proper Cacoward. Great megawad.

Doom the Way id Did by Various - obvious reasons

Skepland by Monakhov Vladimir - Insanely hard, brilliant layouts, updated this year!

Might as well reserve this space for the CC4 release, as well. I haven't played that many WADs this year, but those 4 are definitely worthy noms.

Votes for Coffee Break Episode 1 and hopes for Episode 2.
Fun layouts, fun secrets, fun encounters, everything gives fun.

I'm also placing my nomination for Coffee Break: Episode 1. It's a fun little mapset with just enough fun moments and exciting challenges for both novice and expert Doomers.

Memfis said:

lupinx-kassman for mapper of the year (for cchest4 m20 and m21)

Looking at those maps made me want to uninstall doombuilder. Those maps are beyond awesome. And would definitely second that.
Base Ganymede definitely deserves a cacoward. I've enjoyed recording demos for it.

Nominating CC4, and seconding Base Ganymede. Both solid megawads that in my opinion would be a pity if not awarded. Third time lucky Khorus. :P

Speaking of Khorus, I'm going to nominate him as mapper of the year. The guy is a monster, he's actually done quite a lot in the last 2 years when I think about it.

CC4 is a no-brainer.. and Coffee Break too.
I've seen Eviltech mentioned a couple of times, and though I did the newstuff review for this and thought it was really good, I don't believe it is Cacoward material.

Memfis said:

lupinx-kassman for mapper of the year (for cchest4 m20 and m21)

I remember him building these maps as a matter of fact originally it was all one Map and I suggested that the map should be split it two.

I would say 100 percent this guy deserves mapper of the year the mapping style, layout and game play capture the player in a way that you just don't see in other maps even of high quality and I really think it's his passion for mapping that should earn the reward.

They've already been mentioned, but I strongly support the nominations of CC4 and Eviltech. I admire Nicolas Monti for taking a theme that generally gets frowned upon and doing an impressive job of making an entire megawad with it.